PDA

View Full Version : LED Case to Motherboard problem

jasper1106
08-16-05, 09:41 AM
Hi guys,

I am building up a 2.8 GHZ machine. I have just purchased a new case (incl Powersupply) and I am putting in an older motherboard as it is perfectly capable.

I am a bit of a noob at these sorts of things but I can usually fumble my way through and get them working.

My problem however this new case has a 3 PIN power LED connector and my motherboard only has 2 PINS for the PWR LED. As you can imagine if I plugged it in anyway one of the pins on the connector will overlap into another PIN Sector I think its reset or something. Shifting everything over by 1 pin and then my speaker connector will be hanging off the board.

I have read a few bits and pieces on the net but to be honest this has confused me even more.

I read on some articles Power LED / Keylock . I have keylock pins on my motherboard the opposite side on the adapter as per usual. Is this some sort of work around for the problem I am having? In otherwords can I plug the 3 pin PWR LED into the 4 avaliable pin keylock pins???

Any help would be greatfully received!

Many Thanks

Starscream
08-16-05, 10:30 AM
Usually you can get a 3 pin power led to work with a 2 pin plug by moving the green wire over one pin hole. You can slip the green wire out of that black plastic end by bending up the little piece of plastic over it on the back.

If you've got the keylock stuff too though try having the pc on and plugging it in at the different ends of that block, try flipping it over even and see if that works.

Kojiro
08-16-05, 11:53 AM
First try and see that the pins you are puting your power led is not the not the power on switch pins. Power on switch and power led are both two pin, on the led pin it is just using a 3 pin plug so that you will not confuse it for the power on. Look at the plug and notice that pin 1 and pin 3 are used and pin 2 does not exist.

Double check you motherboad manual. It should have a more detailed diagram
on the front pannel. It may sound funny, but you can actualy send the computer into infinite reboots by miss connecting the reset key (if there is a source near by that will activate it during boot). I wonder how many morons RMAed thier systems because this simple mistake, that can be done by even expeirenced users.

If you don't got the manual. Then get a magnifing glass, it helps read the labels on the motherboard. Be sure to note that leds have polarity, they will work only if they are pluged in the right way. The manual should tell you which is which. If you don't got a manual if the led does not come on and you pluged it on the right set of pins, then flip it.

jasper1106
08-16-05, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will give your suggestion a go star, you mean actually pull the lead out of the black female connector so they are free wires?????? Or plug it vertically so a bit of the connector is hanging outside the board but the green wire is ported to one of the PWR LED pins?

Kojiro, thankyou also for the reply.

Power on switch and power led are both two pin, on the led pin it is just using a 3 pin plug so that you will not confuse it for the power on. Look at the plug and notice that pin 1 and pin 3 are used and pin 2 does not exist.

Yes that is all correct. I am pretty sure these are all plugged in correctly. Any ideas on the 3 pin PWR LED to this 2 Pin on my motherboard? :S

I have taken some digi's here, I would appreciate it if you guys could have a look.

http://www.aprj94.dsl.pipex.com/DSCN1546.JPG
http://www.aprj94.dsl.pipex.com/DSCN1549.JPG
http://www.aprj94.dsl.pipex.com/DSCN1547.JPG
http://www.aprj94.dsl.pipex.com/DSCN1548.JPG

Thanks all!

Starscream
08-18-05, 10:36 AM
Any ideas on the 3 pin PWR LED to this 2 Pin on my motherboard? :S

What I said earlier would have worked, but looking at the pics from your manual you can see how to plug the 3 pin wire in.

In the picture of the manual it looks like there is an empty pin, beside it is the keylock block of pins. Just plug the 3 pin connector in so that the green wire is on pin 16 and the other pin is on pin 18. You shouldn't have to take it apart. It'll just plug in there and work.