PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek 6800 GT TDH - PC won't boot

looby4
08-16-05, 05:57 PM
My dad had some problems with graphics which meant he had an excuse to buy a new graphics card. He chose the Leadtek - now he's got a pc that won't boot when the card is in it. His setup is:
AMD 2800 processor
Leadtek 6800GT TDH graphics
768MB pc3200 memory
ASUS A7V600 mobo
couple of hard drives plus CD writer and DVD writer

He unstalled drivers and then graphics card (which was an ATI 9600 PRO) then installed new card. The PC won't boot at all. The cpu fan starts as does the fan on the graphics card but the screen stays in standby (amber light). We unplugged everything except the graphics card and hard drive just incase there was a conflict or not enough power (he has a 480w psu so it should be OK). We've cleared the CMOS - that didn't work either. I'm going to lend him my power supply just in case it has gone faulty.

BTW I installed the card in a spare pc that I have (it has a 300w psu) and it booted with no problems at all and when we put the ATI back to his pc it boots with no problems but every now and again the screen just goes black and the monitor goes on standy which is why he bought the new graphics card. I now have the 'faulty' card in my machine and ran some benchmarking programmes to test it and have had no problems

He has the latest bios and ran a memory test last night so apart from trying my psu the only thing we can think of is the mobo. Does anyone have any other ideas as to the cause?

sorry to be long winded but I thought I'd try and give as much info as poss.

cheers

Looby

kwynjunk
08-16-05, 06:45 PM
This may sound stupid, but make sure cords are attached correctly and tightly.

Also make sure the card is secure in the slot on your mobo.

See if your old card still works too. Let us know

To me it sounds like there is a bad connection on your dad's computer or some other sort of problem with the mother board.

rohit
08-16-05, 06:48 PM
1] Remove all of the mem stick from the PC. Try with putting 1 at a time.
2] Please detach all the HDD's and then try. (Some of the mobos have a issue with multiple HDD's and VGA at the same time. my P3 system's i815e was 1 of them)
You can try it.
3] Install the card back in your system, Update the Card's BIOS from leadtek Winfox 2 Windows Flasher. Hope this works. (This may void warranty).

Other than that, you mentioned the card works fine on your system. maybe its the old mobo, as you mentioned. you will have to replace it.

aAv7
08-16-05, 07:46 PM
My dad had some problems with graphics which meant he had an excuse to buy a new graphics card. He chose the Leadtek - now he's got a pc that won't boot when the card is in it. His setup is:
AMD 2800 processor
Leadtek 6800GT TDH graphics
768MB pc3200 memory
ASUS A7V600 mobo
couple of hard drives plus CD writer and DVD writer

He unstalled drivers and then graphics card (which was an ATI 9600 PRO) then installed new card. The PC won't boot at all. The cpu fan starts as does the fan on the graphics card but the screen stays in standby (amber light). We unplugged everything except the graphics card and hard drive just incase there was a conflict or not enough power (he has a 480w psu so it should be OK). We've cleared the CMOS - that didn't work either. I'm going to lend him my power supply just in case it has gone faulty.

BTW I installed the card in a spare pc that I have (it has a 300w psu) and it booted with no problems at all and when we put the ATI back to his pc it boots with no problems but every now and again the screen just goes black and the monitor goes on standy which is why he bought the new graphics card. I now have the 'faulty' card in my machine and ran some benchmarking programmes to test it and have had no problems

He has the latest bios and ran a memory test last night so apart from trying my psu the only thing we can think of is the mobo. Does anyone have any other ideas as to the cause?

sorry to be long winded but I thought I'd try and give as much info as poss.

cheers

Looby

Well, seeing as you tried the 6800GT in your system and it worked. It made me suspicious. But then saying the 9600 would go to stand by for no reason on his system and when you tried it in yours, it had no issues. That makes me almost positive its a faulty motherboard/agp slot.

Tell your dad he now has a good excuse to buy a nice new mobo as well. =)

Oh yeah...and welcome to the boards. :)

alexgontijo
08-16-05, 09:59 PM
Try updating the BIOS of the mobo, maybe it isn't compatible with the GF6 series.

In case of no sucess: as aAv7 said, it's a new excuse to get a new mobo! :)

Good luck,

AleX