PDA

View Full Version : will using a ssaa mode reduce shimmering?

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 07:31 PM
something from nhancer webpage has piqued my interest. will using an aa mode with ssaa in it reduce shimmering? i use 16xs(2x2ssaa, 4xmsaa) which is a mode similar to the old 8xs(2x2ssa, 4xmsaa) by default forced through nhancer since i mostly play old games and i'm not a fps wh0re, iq matters more to me than a high fps.

4xS:
This mode combines 1x2 supersampling with 2x multisampling. This mode is still quite cheap on performance but can already have great effects on the image quality, if the game uses many alpha-blended textures or causes heavy texture shimmering.http://www.nhancer.com/help/AA.php

OWA
08-16-05, 07:33 PM
It helps quite a bit. That was basically what people were doing before the clamp option was implemented (although it was harder to use in newer games b/c of the performance hit).

ChrisRay
08-16-05, 07:41 PM
Yes it can because extra texels are sampled dependent upon additional super samples.

SH64
08-16-05, 10:16 PM
Not quite sure because i still see shimmering on BF2 with 8xSSAA (1280x1024). hardly visible though.

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 10:52 PM
8xs has 1x2ssaa and 4xmsaa. the old 8xs has 2x2ssaa and 4xmssaa but old 8xs is broken in newer drivers. you can still get that same funcionality in what is now called 16xs which is what i use most of the time, it's 2x2ssaa and 4xmsaa just like the old 8xs. or maybe try 2x2ssaa.

ChrisRay
08-16-05, 10:57 PM
You all also might want to try 4xS. It has a similar equivalent edge resolution to 4x RGMS but has a smaller performance impact and still has the 1x2 SS component. Another tweak you might try is setting the LoD to 0.1+ or 0.2+. Its not the best solution but it can reduce the shimmering. It will have a small degradation on quality.

grimreefer
08-17-05, 12:42 PM
You all also might want to try 4xS. It has a similar equivalent edge resolution to 4x RGMS but has a smaller performance impact and still has the 1x2 SS component. Another tweak you might try is setting the LoD to 0.1+ or 0.2+. Its not the best solution but it can reduce the shimmering. It will have a small degradation on quality.
i do the lod thing....i thought i was the only one who did that! :eek:
doesnt 4xs have a bigger performance hit?

gram_vaz
08-17-05, 06:26 PM
i'll try the lod thing. how high have people gotten it without noticing image degradation? i have mine set to .5+.

ChrisRay
08-17-05, 06:56 PM
i do the lod thing....i thought i was the only one who did that! :eek:
doesnt 4xs have a bigger performance hit?

4xS only has bigger performance hit in UT2004 afaik i noticed. usually its about 10-15% faster than 8xS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'll try the lod thing. how high have people gotten it without noticing image degradation? i have mine set to .5+.

I am surprised you havent noticed a reduction in quality. These LoD manipulations set D3D/OpenGLS LoD back by 1 point. If something is still a positive LoD it only goes back 1 point. The clamp still fixes that. I usually think a 0.3 LoD is decent tradeoff however.

gram_vaz
08-17-05, 08:19 PM
haven't slept in a couple days(damn insomnia) so my that's probably why my eyes didn't notice anything at .5+. i'll set it to .3+ just to be on the safe side.

MikeC
08-17-05, 10:58 PM
Brian Burke from NVIDIA asked us to pass this bit of information along...

"We have isolated the problem and we are working on the fix. We will also be working on a fix for the application profile problems that some users were experiencing. We hope to have a fix soon."

SH64
08-30-05, 09:51 PM
After testing it myself .. YES! i can say that the 8xAA is a good way to get rid/reduce shimmering greatly.
i tested that in the game SW: Republic Commando. with 8xAA the shimmering is mostly invisible.
now i can see why i'm having no shimmering probs in BF2 either (except a few ones when i focus in the screen but generally they are not visible)

anyway this should work as a temp solution until the shimmer-free drivers comes out.