View Full Version : Please Confirm My Understanding

bagman
08-16-05, 10:58 PM
Hi there
Putting together a new system. So far have:
Asus A8NSLI-Premium
Athlon64 4000+
2gb DDRSDRAM

Will be using a 19" LCD monitor. Still undecided on which card.....7800GTX or 7800GT.
My understanding ( and this is what I would appreciate yu guys confirming ) is that if I went with the 7800GTX it's extra features as compared to the 7800GT wud be wasted on a monitor that has native resolution of 1280x1024.
In other words, if the highest resolution I will use will only be 1280x1024 I might as well go with the 7800GT. The extra power that the 7800GTX has will not be fully utilised.
Additionally the 7800GT would not be as CPU limited as the GTX.
Is my thinking right ??

Looking into the future, as I have an SLI board I will probably go down the SLI route once this feature as been well and truely bedded down.
But for right NOW, would I be better off with the 7800GTX ( for better game performance, despite possible CPU limited issues) or the 7800GT ( with slightly lower game performance) but once coupled with another 7800GT in SLI mode, (at a later date ) the 2 GT's would be almost as good as 2 GTX's in SLI at lower costing ??

I just re-read all the above.....I hope I make some sort of sense !!!

cheers and thanks in advance for all yur advice
Bagman

PNY7800GTX
08-16-05, 11:21 PM
Not if you are using eye candy settings...

enabling AA /AF, gamma correct, Super Sampling @ 1280x1024 my 7800 GTX is working hard. Without aa/af. etc then the GT would be fine.

jAkUp
08-16-05, 11:21 PM
Go with the GTX, in all honostly, it hardly costs any more, and when your spending that much, its not a huge difference.

Although the GTX does not make a big difference now, it will for next gen games. Take FEAR for example. Not even I can max that puppy out.

SH64
08-16-05, 11:22 PM
The 7800GT seems a better choice for you IMO unless price isnt a problem for you of course! . as for stressing your GPU @1280x1024 dont worry some games will ;) .. like FEAR & FarCry . but many others will waste the extra power of the 7800GT thats right.
2 GTs though will be somewhat overkill at that res again IMO.

Clay
08-16-05, 11:29 PM
What is the price difference in Australia? With the price being ~$50USD I would go with the GTX...especially if you plan on keeping this setup for a year or more.

bagman
08-17-05, 12:12 AM
Hi guys...thks for replying so quickly !!
I shud have mentioned that the cards I was looking at was the BFG 7800GTX OC or 7800GT OC.
The price difference ( in USD terms ) in Australia is approx US$130.
That's not an issue for me, but what I'm really after is which card will work best.
So, putting aside the price issue for a moment, I like to run my games with as much "eye candy" as I can i.e. AA/AF etc.
With the new cards I wud like to take as much advantage as I can of the new AA/AF capabilities (Multi/super Sampling etc)
It wud seem from yur response, that for for right now the 7800GTX is the go.

If yu think that 2 GT's in SLI wud be overkill for 1280x1024, then perhaps just the one BFG 7800GTX OC is the better option ??
Perhaps I will run into limitation problems with such a powerfull card, but today's games as well as "tomorrows" will have sufficient power from the GTX to enable all that "eye candy"

Looking forward, at a later date I can always buy another GTX to enable SLI and get a bigger monitor.
What do yu think ?? Very happy to hear counter arguments for and against.

cheers and thanks again for responding so quickly
Bagman

SH64
08-17-05, 12:28 AM
Price issue aside the GTX is definitely the better choice esp when i see you have a highly capable CPU .. just like mine :D
its always a good idea to grab one now & SLI it after a while.
with new high demadning games coming i believe they will bring even a dual GTXs to thier knees just like how FEAR is doing .. yeah even @1280x1024 res.
come to think of it .. i think actually even 2 GTXs wont be really that overkill at that res .. the ability to use high AA modes made a difference with the 7800 line. the SLI8x/16xAA & the transparancy SS for exmaple. i play BF2 @1280x1024,8xAA rather than 1600x1200,4xAA because with the latter i get more texture aliasing.

Terwin
08-17-05, 12:34 AM
My basis for a video card purchase always has to do with how high I can crank up the AA/AF and all the other goodies and still keep 75fps at worst case. Anything higher than 75fps with vsync off shows as taring even on the best LCDs. My 12ms Samsung 172x caps out at 75Hz 1280x1024. On 19" or smaller LCDs, you need to keep this in mind. The idea is not to get 500fps best case, but to get 75fps worst case with everything turned up to the max. That is what I look for when getting a video card.

bagman
08-17-05, 01:23 AM
Terwin.....as it happens my LCD monitor of choice is a Samsung 8ms 913b.
From memory the refresh rate is the same as yurs....i.e. 60/75mhz.

In my case, I really don't look for the highest playable FPS I can achieve but rather smooth game play with as much "eye candy" as possible on.
So with that in mind I wud be looking to achieve a minimum of 60FPS, which I recall reading somewhere is regarded as "good gameplay" , with anything greater than 60fps considered "best possible".

I appreciate that with v-sync enabled yur FPS is limited to the refresh rate of the monitor.....so in my case 60fps shud be acceptable with v-sync enabled. Without v-sync the sky's the limit.....but again I'm looking for smooth game play, AA/AF etc, so it seems for me to achieve that goal it's the 7800GTX.
I appreciate that, running at 1280x1024 it is possibly a waste of such a powerfull card, but who know what the future holds ??

cheers and thanks again
Appreciate all the feedback
Bagman

Pandora's Box
08-17-05, 01:44 AM
well it comes down to several things:

1. how long you plan on keeping the card.

If its more than a year I would go with the 7800 GTX. The extra power in the card will allow it to keep the FPS high in next generation games.

2. Is price a concern?

You already answered this but i will cover it.

If the difference in price between the GT and GTX is small I would pay the additional small amount of money for the added performance benefits.

3. Do you plan on getting a monitor thats capable of greater resolutions than 1280x1024?

If so go with the GTX definately.

bagman
08-17-05, 02:08 AM
Pandora's Box....Thks for yur input.

To answer yur questions....

1) If I'm going to spend a bucket of money on a GTX, then it can be safely assumed I will be keeping it for more than a year !!
I tend to upgrade systems every 3 years, so the answer wud be yes.

2) The price difference ( in Australia ) of US$130, whilst considered big, really doesn't come into the argument for me. I'm after best quality for game play etc.

3) The monitor.......well at this stage I don't plan on getting anything bigger than a 19" LCD. Perhaps further down the road I might, but for the next 18mths I'll be using the 19"LCD.

It seems to be getting more and more obvious that the BFG 7800GTX is the go ???

cheers

keith33
08-17-05, 10:48 AM
I have a 19 inch LCD and a Geforce 7800 GTX, here's why I can justify the purchase:

Half-Life 2:
1280x1024
8xS TSS AA
16x AF

Battlefield 2:
1280x1024
4xS TSS AA
16x AF

Doom3, Farcry, Splinter Cell 3:
1280x1024
4xS TSS AA
16x AF

Quake 4, F.E.A.R. ???????

If you like that eye candy, go for the GTX. Good luck with your new rig.

Terwin
08-17-05, 01:19 PM
Terwin.....as it happens my LCD monitor of choice is a Samsung 8ms 913b.
From memory the refresh rate is the same as yurs....i.e. 60/75mhz.

In my case, I really don't look for the highest playable FPS I can achieve but rather smooth game play with as much "eye candy" as possible on.
So with that in mind I wud be looking to achieve a minimum of 60FPS, which I recall reading somewhere is regarded as "good gameplay" , with anything greater than 60fps considered "best possible".

I appreciate that with v-sync enabled yur FPS is limited to the refresh rate of the monitor.....so in my case 60fps shud be acceptable with v-sync enabled. Without v-sync the sky's the limit.....but again I'm looking for smooth game play, AA/AF etc, so it seems for me to achieve that goal it's the 7800GTX.
I appreciate that, running at 1280x1024 it is possibly a waste of such a powerfull card, but who know what the future holds ??

cheers and thanks again
Appreciate all the feedback
Bagman

Just to keep in mind I have the 7800GTXKO in my system. It works great with everything maxed. Some people don't like the idea of a cpu capped card, but I do. I know I'm getting the maximum eye-candy possable atm. :D

bagman
08-17-05, 05:43 PM
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
You have convinced me to go the GTX route.
Now all I have to do is choose which one....... oh, the choices !!!!!

cheers and thks again
Bagman