PDA

View Full Version : drivers

dsj
08-16-05, 10:22 PM
where can I get the latest nvidia sound driver for the nforce audio? And is updating the motherboard bios safe?

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 10:31 PM
the nvidia site. rule of thumb is don't update anything unless you experience problems or if there is a new feature or performance enhancement you've read about that you think will benefit you.

dsj
08-16-05, 10:37 PM
the nvidia site. rule of thumb is don't update anything unless you experience problems or if there is a new feature or performance enhancement you've read about that you think will benefit you.
I'm lagging in games and the developer said that I need to update by soundcard driver and the bios driver. Are they just trying to get me to go away?

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 10:38 PM
yup, i don't think updating those will cure what your experiencing. what are your system specs?

dsj
08-16-05, 10:40 PM
what's the newest driver version for the nforce 3 ultra audio? And is the bios supposed to be downloaded from the motherboard site or nvidia?

dsj
08-16-05, 10:42 PM
yup, i don't think updating those will cure what your experiencing. what are your system specs?

athlon 64 3200+
geforce 6800 GT
1024 MB DDR 400
GA K8NS ultra 939

I'm lagging down to 9fps in warhammer dawn of war. That game recommended a 2.2 ghz cpu and a 64 mb video card.

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 10:44 PM
some games perform like crap because of their engine. i think everyone gets crap performance in warhammer when there's lots happening onscreen.

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 10:46 PM
what's the newest driver version for the nforce 3 ultra audio? And is the bios supposed to be downloaded from the motherboard site or nvidia?
newest audio drivers are from nvidia's site. gpu bios is from mvktech.net. i wouldn't bother with this. motherboard bios is from manufacturer site.

dsj
08-16-05, 10:57 PM
newest audio drivers are from nvidia's site. gpu bios is from mvktech.net. i wouldn't bother with this. motherboard bios is from manufacturer site.
Is the newest version of nforce 3 audio driver version 6.14.0442.0030? Some how dxdiag says that it's dated from 5/25/2004 But this came from the latest nforce driver download.

And bios doesn't affect performance right? Are those guys are just trying to avoid saying that their recommended specs mean nothing?

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 11:01 PM
the audio drivers are rarely updated much.

bios updates are to fix bugs or add features. if there are minor performance enhancements they would not make much real world difference. like the newest nf7-s rev.2 bios updates the sata code in the bios but doesn't make much real world difference. never had a problem before with sata and didn't notice anything new with the update.

dsj
08-16-05, 11:06 PM
the audio drivers are rarely updated much.

bios updates are to fix bugs or add features. if there are minor performance enhancements they would not make much real world difference. like the newest nf7-s rev.2 bios updates the sata code in the bios but doesn't make much real world difference. never had a problem before with sata and didn't notice anything new with the update.
When I turned everything down to the minimum the frame rate is 16 during huge firefights. So it's not just the settings, mabe the game just lags when there's a lot of people fighting?

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 11:09 PM
yea, warhammer performs like crap to most when there's lots of stuff happening. if this sort of stuff doesn't happen with other games i wouldn't worry about it.

dsj
08-16-05, 11:14 PM
Does 3D mark score directly show how the computer performs in games? Or are they different things? Have you played the game? And I got kind of low framerates in farcry also. Can go down below 20. But the time demo from Bench'em All showed around 50 frames per second. So some how the in game performances are lower than the benchmark scores. Is that normal?

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 11:19 PM
i only played warhammer back on my 9600xt and it did give me crap performance when there were lots onscreen.

3dmark scores are indicative of wether you gpu is functioning the way it should but it doesn't count in your cpu/ram which matter in gaming as well. compare your 3dmark to other people that have the same card as yours.

dsj
08-16-05, 11:25 PM
You also have the 6800GT, what's your score? Mine is 4842 and the cpu score is 4068. The 9600xt isn't supposed to lag either. The game said 64mb of vram recommended so it's supposed to run well on a geforce 4 mx.

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 11:29 PM
it doesn't matter what the box claims when it comes to texture storage, the engine is crap when there's lots onscreen.

btw, yea, your gpu score is normal.

dsj
08-16-05, 11:37 PM
Hmm... Those guys on the game's forum said that it's my computer's problems and not the games and kept saying to update the driver and telling me that the game's console command to show framerate and Fraps aren't valid. The moderator told me that his 9800 pro runs the game maxed out perfectly. Now it no longer seems true and it seem to be the game's problem.