PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but can't o/c 6800GT? Help!!

KingboyA
08-17-05, 07:20 AM
Hi all!

I am sorry if this has been done to death already, I am sure it has, but here goes anyway.

I recently bought a Galaxy GF6800 GT with the funky cooler on it, and am having a real problem overclocking it.

I upgraded from the 6600GT. The old drivers were uninstalled, and the new 77.77 drivers loaded, and the gpu is running at a temp of 54c AFTER I have already reseated the heatsink with proper paste. I used the reg edit to unlock the nvidia driver, and I ask it to detect optimal settings, and it comes back with the stock speeds, being 370 and 1.0gig.

I am at a total loss. I am slowly working through the win XP optimiser and tweak, in a hope that will help.

What do you all think it is? I think it could be heat possibly, but at load, it seems to be only getting to about 65ish deg, maybe a bit more.

ANY help with this would be appreciative. The card is running fine otherwise, I just want to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks

Tony :o

KingboyA
08-17-05, 09:02 AM
You should be just glad you got it to work at 16p6v some people can't even get that.But I have heard of this problem after softmods and they say go to the rivatuner control pannel and go to the Power user settings and disable the clock test under overclocking/Nvidia and set the value to 1 and then you should be able to overclock your card.

I have tried this now in riva tuner and I can get the core to 380. no higher, cos it fails the test.

I have not tested the 380 yet tho.

Cheers

|MaguS|
08-17-05, 09:36 AM
If you can't go any higher then thats probably your cards limit, OCing to Ultra speeds or even very well isn't a guarantee, only preOC'd Retail cards can really guarantee the OC.

KingboyA
08-17-05, 09:55 AM
Hi again

Thanks Magus. The galaxy card is overclocked a bit from stock, usually being 350 on other 6800GT's, to 370 on mine.

However, riva tuner has come good though. I can now disable the test and it is fine. Score has gone down a little at 400 using 3dmark2003 but that aint a problem. I am just relieved!

Cheers

Tony

|MaguS|
08-17-05, 10:01 AM
If your score drops then that could be a sign that your pushing the card beyond its limits. Try some hard graphics stress test to see if you get artifacts or a degrade in performance.

joshua7
08-17-05, 02:51 PM
I have tried this now in riva tuner and I can get the core to 380. no higher, cos it fails the test.

I have not tested the 380 yet tho.

Cheers

What type of mobo do you have?

KingboyA
08-17-05, 03:03 PM
Hi

I have an 8x agp gigabyte K8VT800pro mobo with a gig of ram...(soon to be 2 gig for bf2!).

I think I have cracked it though because I am able to get some bigger numbers out of the card now. it is stable now at 390 1050 up from 370 1000, which I know isnt a lot, but I need to get some artic siler 5 onto the gpu for better cooling. Overclocking isnt a major major issue for me, but it would be nice later on when the card gets a bit older, and you need a bit more juice :p

Any further advice would very much be appreciated tho.

Tony

joshua7
08-18-05, 12:26 PM
Hi

I have an 8x agp gigabyte K8VT800pro mobo with a gig of ram...(soon to be 2 gig for bf2!).

I think I have cracked it though because I am able to get some bigger numbers out of the card now. it is stable now at 390 1050 up from 370 1000, which I know isnt a lot, but I need to get some artic siler 5 onto the gpu for better cooling. Overclocking isnt a major major issue for me, but it would be nice later on when the card gets a bit older, and you need a bit more juice :p

Any further advice would very much be appreciated tho.

Tony

I had a similar problem with the DFi board. My max oc was just around 375/1150. Now that I have an Abit, it can do 415 easily.
Is your mobo one with the pro chipset? Think the 'Pro' in it is for sg else.

john19055
08-18-05, 03:01 PM
I have notice at least on my Evga 6800ultra if I turn off fastwrites in the Bios I can overclock the core higher.