PDA

View Full Version : Bad 7800GTX or XP Corrupt...HELP!!!!

Thumper58
08-17-05, 08:08 AM
Hey All,

I'm sitting here at work, very very depressed...I think that I may have ruined my $600 7800....

Please forgive the l o n g post....

Just built a new system over the past couple of weeks and have been happily tweaking it and contemplating OCing the CPU and memory.
Went to play BF2 online last night and I ran into some nasty issues...
the sysem,(once in 3D mode), slowed down to a crawl.
Tried running 3DMark05 (which I had managed to bench before from ~8300 stock up to ~8800 OC'd (490/1360 65C) with the new Zalman VF-700, and it started the first video in the single digits.
I had been using A64 Tweaker and CPUZ to "look not change" my BIOS settings as I have been thinking about a CPU/memory OC. Also over the past few days I had been tweaking windows and installing some OEM software that came with some of my components.
Did I somehow screw-up Windows or accidentally change something in the
BIOS?
Anyway, I ran the BIOS resident Memtest all night, 202 test runs no errors, booted into Windows, ran 3DMark05 and it benched at ~8250 stock clock,
ran it a second time and it was single digits again....
Uninstalled/reinstalled the Nvidia display drivers (only through the control panel)...no change.
Tried to use Windows System Restore (at several restore points) and it failed to restore after the reboot each time (XP corruption?)....
I am prepared to wipe the harddrive and reload windows, I just hope that the card isn't fried.
I was very carefull when I installed the Zalman cooler and memory heatsinks.
I've seen no evidence of heat related video problems. My system runs very cool.
Before this issue started, I had been playing the "FEAR" demo and would (alt-tab) out to Windows and check the GPU temp (never higher than 67C). HL2 ran super at 1600x1200 4xAA 16AL and VSNC on. Again, no artifacts....

The new system's core components are an FX-57 (stock clock 2.812Mhz),
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI (5.10-2 BIOS), 1 Gig OCZ EL DDR PC-4800 Platinum Elite Edition 2-2-2-7-1T timing @DDR400, 1-BFG 7800 GTX w/ Zalman VF-700, 2-76 Gig Rapters (non-Raid), SB Audigy 2 ZS, Plextor IDE 716 CD/DVD, Silverstone ST65ZF p/s.
Windows XP Pro SP2.
Please tell me I don't have to tell my wife that I distroyed a $600 vid card...could this be the cards memory rather than the GPU (no temp monitor for the on-board memory)?

Help please!!!

Kevin

:( :( :(

jAkUp
08-17-05, 10:04 AM
Reset the CMOS, if that doesnt work, wipe the drive, and you have a 99% chance of everything being fine again :)

Thumper58
08-17-05, 10:35 AM
...as this is a DFI mobo, will I need to re-input all my BIOS setting after resetting the CMOS?
Please bare with me...I'm not new to computers, but I am to building my own...haven't built one from scratch since my Celeron 300 OC'd to 400
many years ago. My last 2 computers were an Alienware and a Falcon N/W.
This time I thought that I'd take the "plunge" and build my own.
I work for a semi-conductor company going to all the big name companies
(and many not so big). So I had the money to buy all the good stuff....
I figured if I can install and test a multi-million dollar (Tool) machine an AMD, I should be able to handle this...piece-of-cake right...?
Unfortunately, the "extra" funds from my last trip to Japan (Sony) are now depleated so a new $600 card would be kinda hard to explain to the wife....

thanks,
Kevin :o :o

Thumper58
08-17-05, 10:38 AM
...jAkUp...I noticed that you have flashed the BIOS on ur 7800's...could that
possibly help me (as a last ditch effort, after having tried the other suggestions)...

regards,

Kevin :confused:

OWA
08-17-05, 12:00 PM
You could try flashing the BFG with their flash tool and bios just to see if that resets things for you.

http://www.zfz.com/bfg/BFG_7800gtx_11.25_bios_tool.zip

The thread the tool was posted in:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52599&page=7&pp=15

jAkUp
08-17-05, 12:21 PM
You dont need to reflash your bios's. You have done nothing to your system to warrant a flash. If you reformat I almost guarantee everything will be back to normal.

nIghtorius
08-17-05, 12:46 PM
I am with jAkUp with this.. You have to know what you're doing when flashing a card's BIOS.. if you fail with this, the card may BECOME UNUSABLE.

just format your OS disk/partition and re´nstall windows.. before you install the video drivers be sure you also install your chipset driver.

subbo
08-17-05, 12:48 PM
If you fear wasting your time with the format, make a ghost/drive image backup of the C: /boot partition so you can bring it all back in 5 minutes if the clean install turns to not help.

OWA
08-17-05, 12:52 PM
I am with jAkUp with this.. You have to know what you're doing when flashing a card's BIOS.. if you fail with this, the card may BECOME UNUSABLE.

just format your OS disk/partition and re´nstall windows.. before you install the video drivers be sure you also install your chipset driver.

I just mentioned it b/c I had a similar issue when I first got mine. When overclocking it, I somehow got it in a bad state and everything was running in single digits. Once like that, I also couldn't change the clocks. Any changes would fail even if I tried underclocking. Anyway, I got rid of the issue by reflashing it. Nothing else seemed to have any effect. Also, the BFG utility does everything for you so all you do is type 'y' for it to do its thing. Still, you're right. You probably shouldn't do it unless you know what you're doing or unless BFG asks you to. It might also invalidate your warranty if you flash it without BFG telling you to do so.

Thumper58
08-17-05, 02:13 PM
...thanks sooo much for this possible solution!

...I really hope that this solves my BFG 7800 issue...

thanks so much!

Kevin :D

Thumper58
08-18-05, 07:51 AM
...well the problems continue and multiply....
Got home from work, boot the computer to check if all my MP3s are on the second Raptor (storage) it prep for reinstalling XP, and under "My Computer" its not listed!?!?
Check the "Device Manager", and it's there and supposedly active, look under "Computer Management" and it says that the drive is not formatted.
Now the last thing I did before going to work was reinstall my video drivers,
so I think...this is an NV4 board...did I somehow screw-up the chipset drivers...?
Anyhow, decide to just format both drives and reinstall windows, get into the XP install and it says that one of the drives cannot be accessed....
...ok, change that drive to a differant SATA port on the board...and it doesn't see it at all...the heck with it...maybe a bad SATA cable...I then disconnect it and reinstall XP, chipset drivers, video drivers.
Load 3DMark05...and its doing the single digits framerates...no change from before the format ...
Time to flash the video BIOS to the 11-25 version...no problems...back in Windows...still have the s l o w framerate.
It's a bit late now so I just set the system to Boot into Memtest86 and let it run all night.
This morning, no memory errors, boot back into Windows, 3DMark05 benchs @ ~ 8300...reboot run it again...still ok...run it again without rebooting...single digit framerates ..reboot...run...still single digits...

Today after work my plan is switch to the other PCIe slot and maybe use a differant power input to the card...

...I am very, very sad... and what I can't understand is that the card ran for over a week (after changing to the Zalman VF-700) and it ran ~15c cooler under load?!?!?
...and whats with the bad Raptor...is it a bad cable...or is my mobo slowly killing my system...

Kevin

Toss3
08-18-05, 08:05 AM
...well the problems continue and multiply....
Got home from work, boot the computer to check if all my MP3s are on the second Raptor (storage) it prep for reinstalling XP, and under "My Computer" its not listed!?!?
Check the "Device Manager", and it's there and supposedly active, look under "Computer Management" and it says that the drive is not formatted.
Now the last thing I did before going to work was reinstall my video drivers,
so I think...this is an NV4 board...did I somehow screw-up the chipset drivers...?
Anyhow, decide to just format both drives and reinstall windows, get into the XP install and it says that one of the drives cannot be accessed....
...ok, change that drive to a differant SATA port on the board...and it doesn't see it at all...the heck with it...maybe a bad SATA cable...I then disconnect it and reinstall XP, chipset drivers, video drivers.
Load 3DMark05...and its doing the single digits framerates...no change from before the format ...
Time to flash the video BIOS to the 11-25 version...no problems...back in Windows...still have the s l o w framerate.
It's a bit late now so I just set the system to Boot into Memtest86 and let it run all night.
This morning, no memory errors, boot back into Windows, 3DMark05 benchs @ ~ 8300...reboot run it again...still ok...run it again without rebooting...single digit framerates ..reboot...run...still single digits...

Today after work my plan is switch to the other PCIe slot and maybe use a differant power input to the card...

...I am very, very sad... and what I can't understand is that the card ran for over a week (after changing to the Zalman VF-700) and it ran ~15c cooler under load?!?!?
...and whats with the bad Raptor...is it a bad cable...or is my mobo slowly killing my system...

Kevin

Maybe your card is resetting the core clock after you've run your benchmarks(and thus giving you slow framerates after you've run it once), cuz' I've heard that if you switch cooling solutions the 7800gtx can change the clocks if it runs hot or just about 35c!

So instead of flashing the bios on your card and voiding your warranty, I'd try the old cooling solution! :)

I don't know if this works at all, but you could always give it a try...

Thumper58
08-18-05, 09:05 AM
...could this be the thermal protection...my idle is about 35C....

Kevin

jAkUp
08-18-05, 10:17 AM
Did you reset your CMOS yet? You do have power going directly into the card correct?

Thumper58
08-18-05, 10:20 AM
...I'd really not like to think its the P/S...Nvidia does recommend it after all..and it was pretty darn expensive...

..still, given the weird ok-not-ok performance and my low idle temp...I'm really hoping that it could be the thermal protection.
As far as re-mounting the original heatsink/fan, the thermal tape that BFG used for the memory I couldn't remove it in one piece...and unless I can replace it with the same exact type, I have no hope of RMAing the card.
I really don't feel that I've "abused" the card...I just "improved" it....
Plus I've already flashed it's BIOS....
After flashing maybe I need to reinstall the drivers and use driver-cleaner...?

Kevin

(sigh) :confused: :( :confused:

OWA
08-18-05, 10:28 AM
...could this be the thermal protection...my idle is about 35C....
Kevin
Yeah, it could be that since there was a "cold bug" for a while. It was supposed to be fixed but the fix didn't apparently work for everyone.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54701&highlight=cold+bug

Thumper58
08-18-05, 10:41 AM
...reset before the reformat...and this P/S has special PCIe pawer cables specifically for the Video cards....

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

Kevin

Thumper58
08-19-05, 06:59 AM
...well it looks like it was/is the "cold bug".

Went home, disconnected the heatsink fan, waited for the temp to climb to about 40C, ran 3DMark05 several times back-to-back, no problems.
Hooked the fan up to 5v (vice 12v) and the idle temp stablized at ~38C.
Tried to run it again this morning but the GPU Idle temp never got above 35C (it was kinda cool here)....
I guess I need to get a fan controller or hope that the newest drivers correct this problem (for me).
The effect of the temps around here (coastal Massachusetts) dropping over the past week never even entered the trouble-shooting thought process.
I knew about the problems aggressive overclockers were having with thier usage of water and chillers, just never thought that a plain old heatsink could cause an issue....
I suppose that Zalman could almost use this as a selling point...
Thanks so much to all that answered my cry for help!!

...now should I go on and make an OC attempt on my CPU/memory...?

Thanks!

Kevin :D

vicious2003
08-19-05, 11:58 AM
Here is what I would do. First of since this is a new system that you built. I always use the ultimate boot cd. Do a google search for it and you will find the ubcd website. version 3.2 full. I always run a Drive fitness scan found on page 2 of the hard drive tests. Then I check the memory to see if it is okay. Which is f4 on the mainboard test screen. If both the hard drive and ram pass and the motherboard doesn't have any noticable buldges on the capacitors. (buldged or blown capacitors = very bad) If all that stuff pans out then reset your CMOS, if you havent yet. If that doesn't help then restore the OS. If that doesn't work then you know it is something hardware. I am pretty sure that it is just a settings glitch in windows or in CMOS. I have seen a gpu go bad because it is overheating. He had lines showing up on the screen during post and windows load. Then it showed up with blocks flashing on display. There is some light left to the issue. Give them a try.

Macca
09-04-05, 07:31 AM
Before formatting try doing a "system restore",It's saved me many times.
I thought I fried my 7800GTX card when my computer would just randomly hang, Turns out it was just a stuff up in XP OS after I was playing around and tweaking. System restore fixed the problem in this case.

Best of luck! :)

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-04-05, 08:27 AM
Another thing you could try is going overclocking the 2D of the card to the 3D speeds. This would keep the GPU warmer and maybe not let it get cold enough for the 35C bug to show up.