PDA

View Full Version : XBOX360 $299 "core" or $399 "premium"

Pages : [1] 2 3

npras42
08-17-05, 08:56 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

Peter Moore, Xbox corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing, who spoke with GameSpot, reiterated that the Xbox 360 is still on schedule to launch simultaneously in North America, Europe, and Japan this holiday season. Details on the specifics of the Japanese release will be disclosed at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 16.

He explained that the idea behind the two choices came from "lessons learned from the first generation [of Xbox], but perhaps more importantly to provide the gamer with choices in pricing as applicable to their gaming habits." In addition, gamers will be able to select from a range of peripherals, available at launch:

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

Well I think that this is a little pricey honestly. No-one will want the "core", and I think the "premium" price is fine for the US but for some reason they are saying Sterling £60 more in the UK for same thing according to today's exchange rates! Now I find that a little unfair. That's the price of a full game.

ENU291
08-17-05, 09:34 AM
If you think that's a little pricey wait until Sony releases the PS3. You people better start saving your pennies now because Sony's new baby is going to be expensive!

|MaguS|
08-17-05, 09:47 AM
Yeah they should have set it lower, this gives sony room to go between $399 - $499 and include some the same things as their $399 system.

I don't know which I will get yet, I like the wireless controllers but the extra $100 just for them I can't see it being worth it. Especially since most of the other stuff is not really needed for me right away (I don't use Xbox Live).

Will probably go for the $299 and buy 2 wireless controllers. One thing that bothers me is the "Limited Time" thing on the Media Controller. They should keep it since it would be a big plus over the PS3 since I dout Sony is going to include a controller.

Edge
08-17-05, 09:52 AM
The basic $299 console looks to be extremely pointless. You'd end up paying at least $340 anyway since you'd need a memory card to save your games, and if you got a harddrive for it then it would cost as much as the premium pack. Looks like console prices are going the way of video card prices...

The thing that concerns me most is that the harddrive is no longer standard on every 360. This could definately affect how developers take advantage of it, since they now have to build their games to work without the harddrive, and adding HDD functionality as an "extra" if they feel like it. Building games around the harddrive is no longer an option. It was hard enough finding games that used the harddrive well on the original Xbox, I'd hate to see how few games actually use it on the 360.

MrSavoy
08-17-05, 09:53 AM
I dont see how anyone thought the prices would be cheaper than this to be honest. I mean look at the hardware thats in this thing. To me thats still a very fair price based on what you are getting hardware and extras wise. Only a 100 bucks more than the old xbox was at launch and this is far superior to the old one and its what 4 years later?

Honestly I dont even know if I will be buying this system since I hardly touch my old xbox and havent turned it on in almost a year. I'm a die hard PC gamer and just dont have the need/want to play any console games. :)
But I may change my mind come launch, we'll see.

Zelda_fan
08-17-05, 09:57 AM
The only reason I would go for the premium would be the wireless controlers. They just need to drop wired controlers all together - they are a thing of the past.

DJMONDY
08-17-05, 10:01 AM
£280 isnt too bad imo, i was expecting it to be around £300 so thats what ive saved up :)

I wounder what the price is going to be for the PS3???? :confused: :confused: £5-6-700 :eek:

six_storm
08-17-05, 10:10 AM
The only reason I would go for the premium would be the wireless controlers. They just need to drop wired controlers all together - they are a thing of the past.

I completely agree. Even the premium version should've come with the XBOX Live Gold Package! $100 for a 20 GB Hard Drive? Geez. Now I'll have to look again at my options because I dunno if I'll have enough money to buy some games with all the accesories. Thanks M$ :D

NAZCA M12
08-17-05, 10:37 AM
Very interesting. Weren't MS reps insisting all that time that the 360 would have a HD as a standard (feeding their fanboys too)? They've been lying all that time then eh? Wired controllers too? Bonus, although on a personal basis i find it more of a plus actually (ain't no way i'm ever going to pamper a wireless controller, battery and all that crap). Morons only look at the (very good) price forgetting that a bunch of stuff promised are missing. Looking at the two packages, theory would suggest that the basic package is going to be the best-selling of the two but the way they've configured them, they're "forcing" the buyer to look at the "proper" system. I think they should be focusing more on stuff that matters than the hip and cool faceplates. Looks like apart from falling off bikes, Allard has also fallen in Kutaragi's trap about the PS3 being so expensive (which it might end up) :lol2:

About the HD, what will happen with backwards compatibility? Hadn't MS stated that there would be some sort of a compatibility patch or new configuration of the well known games (like Halo and PGR) pre-installed in a hard disc? So the guy who opts for the slim version won't be able to play old games for sure? They need to clear this up. See how they're practically "telling" the buyer to get the fat version? :mad: How about the game prices?

EDIT: I fully agree on the gold membership being present on the loaded package, even if they had to up the price just a little bit more, they SHOULD have a 100% complete package.

|MaguS|
08-17-05, 10:41 AM
basically read the gamespot article, one of the analyst's said it best...

He sees the $299 model as a "publicity stunt." "They're doing it to say they are launching at $299. The hardcore guys will absolutely not buy the $299 model...Only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model."

Basically he's right... any real gamer has the common knowledge to ignore the cheap model, the only reason to release it is to be able to post it everywhere that the console is selling cheap even though the key features are missing...

Seriously Wireless controllers should have been default in both packages, its insulting to not have it as a standard. Glad Sony says that wireless is a standard for the PS3.

Rakeesh
08-17-05, 10:43 AM
Holy hell...$100 for a 20g hdd? Sh!t, not two weeks ago I bought a 160g SATA for $40.

Oh well, early adoption is nuts IMO.

Edge
08-17-05, 10:49 AM
Very interesting. Weren't MS reps insisting all that time that the 360 would have a HD as a standard (feeding their fanboys too)? They've been lying all that time then eh? Wired controllers too?
I don't think they officially said that every version of the console would have a harddrive (in fact, it was reported that they told developers to make their games NOT require the harddrive). Although, they seem to think of the $399 bundle as the "standard" version of the Xbox 360 while the core bundle is just a stripped down sub-product (the interview here (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642645p1.html) especially seems to indicate that). Which is really how it is, I don't think I'd consider the $299 version the standard one by any means. It's like the MX version of the Geforce 4 series.

About the HD, what will happen with backwards compatibility?
Backwards compatability is only an option in the harddrive equipped console: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/236918_msft17ww.asp

Nitz Walsh
08-17-05, 11:10 AM
Can't say I'm too pleased. With the HD not standard, I doubt it will be used that much by developers to any great extent - but the bigger problem is that without it, you don't get backwards compatibility, and the extent of that is even in question. I wonder how many consumers will know this when they go for the $299 model, which I think the majority will.

Everything I've read stated wireless controllers would be standard - uh, maybe not. If you basically want the 360 with the option of compatibility with "select" titles, that nice media-centre style functionality with the remote (and likely wireless will be a requirement as most don't have cat-5 running through their house), one extra wireless controller so two people can play - you're up to $550. Add a couple of games and you're plunking down ~$650 before tax - that's approaching the price of low-end Media Centre PC's. :eek: If you decide to "upgrade" your Core 360 system, you're really paying through the nose - $100 for a 20GB HD!?

Somehow I don't think MS liked losing so much money on the first xbox for some reason. :) It's cash-in time apparently.

aAv7
08-17-05, 11:20 AM
I dont like the lack of Hard drive with the core package...at least throw a bone to the consumers and give the 64MB card...cripes.....

$100 for a 20gb HD, rofl...that's classic!

I was thinking of buying one at launch, now I know I'll really wait till 06 when gears of war comes out before I bother with it. (Hopefully by then some of the prices will come down)

JeRi
08-17-05, 11:39 AM
i've really been toying with whether or not i should reserve my system now...but i think after this announcement just soldified my decision not to buy it at launch. originally i was gonna ask for this as my x-mas present (which would be basically the only thing i got plus a game if i was lucky) but now that i know my parents would have to shell out nearly 500 bucks for this thing (no way i'd go with the "core" version) plus a game, i just can't do that to em, or myself. i definitely don't have the money to spend for a new system as my pc has taken quite a big chunk of cash from my funds already, and a $500 pricetag is just too much IMO for a system + a game (after taxes and whatnot) at launch. looks like i'll be waiting like aAv7 till the new year before i even consider buying this thing

|MaguS|
08-17-05, 11:55 AM
You know this pricing really got me thinking. I wonder if the rumored $59.99 per game title is going to be true...

Ninjaman09
08-17-05, 12:00 PM
I think the $399 deal is reasonable for what you get (don't forget it includes component cables which can be pricey in addition to the HDD and wireless controller). It's tempting, I'll admit. However I think it would be prudent to avoid buying at launch and wait until some games come out for the thing so you can actually use it, looking at the launch titles. I probably won't buy one anyway. I'm not even sure if I'll be getting any of the next gen consoles at this point.

NAZCA M12
08-17-05, 12:10 PM
You know this pricing really got me thinking. I wonder if the rumored $59.99 per game title is going to be true...

You mean like $19.99 for the core version (box only, no media, sorry) and $59.99 for the standard one (case and the disc)? :p Nah. I'm just praying that the other two don't adopt a similar smart-ass strategy with their ******* products. :mad:

Zelda_fan
08-17-05, 12:17 PM
mainly I just want those wireless controllers, and I also want oblivion lol

OldOfEvil
08-17-05, 12:29 PM
Are these going to be non-standard HDs? Maybe slightly smaller or something? It seems odd they would charge so much for an item that is normaly dirt cheap. I wonder if perhaps waiting to see what people are able to hack once it comes out, tossing a 400GB drive would be nice..

Ninjaman09
08-17-05, 12:37 PM
Are these going to be non-standard HDs? Maybe slightly smaller or something? It seems odd they would charge so much for an item that is normaly dirt cheap. I wonder if perhaps waiting to see what people are able to hack once it comes out, tossing a 400GB drive would be nice..
That's what I was thinking...not seeing a lot of information about it though.

saturnotaku
08-17-05, 12:47 PM
This got me thinking about exactly which console I will get because mine's pre-ordered already. :confused:

gmontem
08-17-05, 12:53 PM
I think the XBox 360 will be using 2.5" hard drives. That sort of explains the ridiculous price.

npras42
08-17-05, 12:58 PM
£280 isnt too bad imo, i was expecting it to be around £300 so thats what ive saved up :)

I wounder what the price is going to be for the PS3???? :confused: :confused: £5-6-700 :eek:

Well, I kind of expected that since our exchange rate between US$ and GB£ has changed so much over the last 5 years (with the GB£ seemingly getting stronger everyday) that imported goods would cost less. Imagine what the console would have cost if the exchange rate had not changed?

I'm not saying that I really expected it to be much less than it is, but I do think that the additional £60 added on top of the US price is too much. It is in no way costing them £60 per console to export the console to Europe... they are just taking advantage of a situation.

And I do not believe for a second that a PS3 will cost more than £400. I think that there may be two or even more versions with some that cost a huge amount of money, but I think that the most basic package w/ the HDD (i.e. not the "core" package that does/will not have a HDD) will not cost more than £400.

LurkerLito
08-17-05, 01:30 PM
I do want the $399 version, but am I the only one that would rather have a wired controller? I have used only 1 wireless controller for the PS2 a while ago but it SUCKED BALLS. Always pausing the game when it lost connection, then even when it was working really well there was a lag, so any fighting games were unplayable cause the timing wouldn't work out correctly.