PDA

View Full Version : How do I do this? (broadband/networking question)

aAv7
08-17-05, 04:51 PM
So I moved into a new place, I have the basement, upstairs on the level rig there's DSL.

I have a wireless G-router from linksys.

Anyway I can use this to get a connection downstairs in the ol basement?

Would I have to buy one of those pci wireless cards?

I dont think they make 100 ft. ethernet cable and I'd hate to have that scaling across the floor, down the stairs, passed the fireplace and to the computer....

What are my options here?

Thanks in advance.

Carte_Blanche!
08-17-05, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I beleive they do make 100 ft cables, but running wireless is the best idea. You will have to purchase a PCI wireless card. They also come in USB.

aAv7
08-17-05, 05:07 PM
so i buy a pci wireless card and it works with the router? How much $$ do they usually run?

And lastly, will this decrease the speed for me?

crainger
08-17-05, 10:20 PM
You should be able to pick one up for around $20. Depending on your router the wireless connection will be around 54mbs at most. So yes there will be a speed drop, but during regular internet browsing I doubt you'll notice a difference.
If you have a 108mbs router you'll be laughing, it *should* be the same speed as cat5 cable.

I also recommend a PCI card over a USB wireless dongle, my sister bought a USB dongle for her desktop to lappy connection and had no end of troubles with it.

aAv7
08-18-05, 12:53 PM
So I just hook up the dsl to the router upstairs and let it send a signal downstairs to the pci card?

crainger
08-18-05, 06:20 PM
Ummm, yeah. You will need to configure everything ofcourse, set WEP keys and what not. Should be hassle free if you follow your routers instructions and then the instructions for whatever pci card you end up with. Plus there are quite a few guides out on the new if you google for them, not to mention this forum :)

aAv7
08-18-05, 07:04 PM
Sounds good, im familar with setting up the WEP's when I had a PSP (good riddance, worst hand-held ever) .

Thanks for all the help, i'll let you guys know how it turns out. =)