PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 4

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
08-17-05, 05:21 PM
??!! (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=123639)

aAv7
08-17-05, 05:25 PM
And this is one of a thousand reasons as to why I love Epic so much. Always ontop of things.

SH64
08-17-05, 05:30 PM
:eek: nice! .. as long as they dont delay the UE3 powered games.

rAdIOhEaD
08-17-05, 05:41 PM
Wow, will my Geforce 9 run that???? :D

jolle
08-17-05, 05:42 PM
:eek: nice! .. as long as they dont delay the UE3 powered games.
Since its apparantly (most likely) just Sweeney working on UE4 up til now, and for a while longer, it shouldnt affect UE3.0 really.
I think Sweenys part is largly "done", what with the renderer and that, and they got the team polishing the tools and stuff.
Really tho, it sounds like this "work on UE4" for the last 2 years might be mainly Sweeney walking around daydreaming and testing ideas, sortof specifying what it is he wants to do with it.

Sortof like Carmacks mentions on things he might include in their next engine, things he wants for IHV etc.

demonized
08-17-05, 05:53 PM
Wow, will my Geforce 9 run that???? :D

yes, but youll need 4 of those in quad sli:)

$n][pErMan
08-17-05, 06:22 PM
(w/opics)

Edge
08-17-05, 06:24 PM
Wow, this is...surprising. I was hoping UE3 would be the "standard" engine for at least 3-4 years like the previous Unreal engines were, but now we're hearing about UE4 before UE3 has even been used in a released game! Scary to think about how it will look though, I'm not really sure what more they could add to it except for radiosity and other high-end effects like that. Either way...I don't think my 6800ultra is going to be able to handle it very well ;)

Nv40
08-17-05, 06:38 PM
freaking Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Nice to know that Tim Sweney already have 2 years working on the very very next Big thing since fire was discovered . :D

Yes he is a genius of the genius and is the designer of his engines.. contrary what others thought. :) IDsoftware should license Unreal3 engine and avoid the pain of doing one.. :D

Wow they are hiring everyone in the international community who have the best skills for every position.. perhaps they are thinking to do some kind of realtime raytracing in games using the multiple cell processors :) How much i will love to work there.. even if that were for beta testing their games. :D

here is the the full article..

Wednesday 17th August 2005

REIN: "WE'VE BEEN WORKING ON UNREAL 4 FOR TWO YEARS"

Epic's VP announces Unreal 4 to the world and appeals for extra manpower and firepower to seal global dominance!

19:22 Not content with ruling the next gen with its all conquering Unreal 3 engine - which has been licensed by Microsoft for the 360, Sony for the PS3 and just about every serious next gen PC developer worth their salt - Epic Games has already begun the march to global hegemony in the next next generation, with work on the previously unheard of Unreal Engine 4, now revealed to have begun over two years ago.

Speaking exclusively to C&VG at the Leipzig Games Show, Epic's Vice President Mark Rein revealed: "People don't realise this but we're already two years into development of Unreal Engine 4. It certainly doesn't have a full team yet, it's just one guy and you can probably guess who that guy is. [Well we'd hazard a fair old guess it's Tim Sweeney].

"Unreal 4 is totally groundbreaking and totally the way games will be done in the future," Rein continued. " I don't expect it to be staffed up as a team for a while. But when people come to work at Epic, they know they're going to be shaping the future of the videogame business."

Well our gobs were well and truly smacked at this bombshell, because we've seen what Unreal 3 can do already and we're only at the beginning it's potential going into the next gen. Imagine what it'll be like in three year's time when developers have got a full handle on it and can use it to maximum potential with Epic's mature toolset.

But Unreal 4? Our minds veritably boggle at the prospect. God alone knows what Epic are cooking up there, but if it's the generational leap forward that Unreal 3 is, then world look out.

However Rein hadn't finished, because he had the following plea to issue to all developers who'd like to help shape that future. Epic are currently on a recruitment drive for both US and International developer signings and he issued the following cheeky challenge: "We're really looking for top talent, nobody should imagine they're paid too well now or that they're too entry level to apply. We're looking for talent. Top talent."

Warming to his theme, Rein advises potential development stars to hit the Epic Games web site and mail in their CV. "We have 14 openings right now and we'll consider any application, for an advertised job or not. We're looking for engine guys, animators, artists ...everyone.

"We really want the best of the best, guys who today, maybe don't even know they're looking for a job, but who want to work on the cutting edge, who want to work on the future of gaming."

Epic Games expansion will be fuelled by a move to a new HQ in Cary NC, USA in October, whose many modern amenities apparently include the much requested feature of home-style bathrooms and Rein assures us this is merely phase one of their path to global dominance.

Developers, Epic want you!

THis is No contest.!! WHo can compete with that.. :) I will not be surprised if in the end most Console developer end using Epic licenses in their games :D

Zelda_fan
08-17-05, 06:44 PM
We need pics!

Epic is right up there with Carmack as far as I'm concerned. About the only other company other than ID that makes quality game engines. Glad to see they are working on version 4. The visuals have gotta be fantastic. I expect nothing short of true photorealism from Unreal4.

jAkUp
08-17-05, 06:53 PM
Man, I would love to work at Epic, think they have any Hardware Tech openings? Or possibly beta testers? :D

Zelda_fan
08-17-05, 06:58 PM
I do know at NC State (where I went to college) they have a developement partnership with them. They recruit from there too. If I was into game programming, I sure would have looked into them.

Rakeesh
08-17-05, 08:37 PM
Hmm...so much for the long term plans of ID's doom 3 engine and valves source (bleh) engine.

killahsin
08-17-05, 08:56 PM
wonder if the new real time ray tracing stuff will be in it.

Clay
08-17-05, 08:57 PM
wonder if the new real time ray tracing stuff will be in it.Now that would be amazing. We can only hope. :)

jAkUp
08-17-05, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't doubt that RT ray tracing will be included in the engine.

Nv40
08-17-05, 11:55 PM
I find hard to believe Epic doesnt make more money licensing engines than selling their games.. not that they dont sell well but look at this huge list of games that have license with Epic. :eek:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/powered/released.shtml

If i remember well in the Geforce6800 launch ,Nvidia tols Epic engines have been used in more than 100 titles!!!.. between games and professional aplications. Even the Goverment of Korea have a license of unreal3 :D

if he can do an engine at the pace he is working now... i can imagine that by the time their first UE3 game ships.. we will be talking about the Unreal5 engine . I will love to see a MMORPG game using their technology. :)

Banko
08-18-05, 12:00 AM
I find hard to believe Epic doesnt make more money licensing engines than selling their games.. not that they dont sell well but look at this huge list of games that have license with Epic. :eek:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/powered/released.shtml

If i remember well in the Geforce6800 launch ,Nvidia tols Epic engines have been used in more than 100 titles!!!.. between games and professional aplications. Even the Goverment of Korea have a license of unreal3 :D

if he can do an engine at the pace he is working now... i can imagine that by the time their first UE3 game ships.. we will be talking about the Unreal5 engine :D
You are one little sad fan boy. I really hope they make engines only actually, after UT99 as developers they completely sucked. Unreal 2, blew hard, UT2k3 and 2K4 blew as well. All they focus on is graphics, and adding bull**** gameplay.

Nv40
08-18-05, 12:11 AM
You are one little sad fan boy. I really hope they make engines only actually, after UT99 as developers they completely sucked. Unreal 2, blew hard, UT2k3 and 2K4 blew as well. All they focus on is graphics, and adding bull**** gameplay.

ahem!...

Unreal2 was done by third party developers , UT2k3 too. not sure who did UT2k4. probably epic. Epic allows full freedom to anyone who license their engine.. they can do whatever they want and release the title when they want.in simply words you are free to blew the game after you pay. Unreal1 was simply freaking awesome.. one of the best moments in pc games. still have not seen a game that made my jaw drop in the floor that much even today ,when launching the game for the first time.. :D so its not quite correct that they dont know how to do games. their focus however have been multiplayer.. and supporting the hundreds of developers that license their engine.. with training about their tools.which doesnt give them enough time to work in a full game.and if that were not good enough they give more than 100% support to the mod community.. Stellar support.and even have time to talk with folks like JAckup and answer all his questions. :D Perhaps thats why they are hiring everyone in the world with Top skills , they are not big enough to supply the demand they have and will have for their products. :)

Intel17
08-18-05, 05:40 AM
Well, I concede my previous position. The guys at Epic truly are the masters.

Ninjaman09
08-18-05, 01:11 PM
Fan boy? Better than being completely uninformed...Unreal 2 was not developed by Epic. In addition, trust me, your opinions of the UT2Kx games are in the vast (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914986.asp) minority (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/914986.html). "All they focus on is graphics and gameplay", huh? Yeah, what's a game developer doing focusing on that stuff? :rolleyes:
Unreal1 was simply freaking awesome.. one of the best moments in pc games. still have not seen a game that made my jaw drop in the floor that much even today ,when launching the game for the first time..
Same here. It still impresses me even today. I play through the single player campaign every few months and it's just as thrilling and awe-inspiring as it always has been.

jAkUp
08-18-05, 01:26 PM
UT2K3 and 2K4 were awesome games. Especially 2K4. Still one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played.

aAv7
08-18-05, 01:37 PM
I loved UT99, I can play it even now. It's timeless. Like Unreal 1.

Unreal 2 was garbage but epic didnt make it.

I don't know why Unreal Tournament 2003 gets so much guff. I thought it was a great game. I remember alot of people calling it a quake 3 arena rip-off, but I couldnt disagree more. There's a few similarities in gameplay, but by no means is it a rip-off.

UT2K4 built on 2K3 and made for an even better game. I agree with jakup, 2k4 is one of the best MP experiences, if not the best, out there today.

Add in all the mods, skins, community maps, developer maps, patches....you have a solid game that lasts you a couple of years rather than a couple of weeks.

I personaly feel the Unreal series truly shows what PC Gaming is supposed to be about.

And i'll openly admit any day of the week I'm an epic fan boy. Simply because they listen to the community, learn from mistakes, dont bullsh*t us or lie to us about things, gives freebies, have great support, build solid engines and ship on time. Let's find one other developer that you can say that about.

F_L_C
08-18-05, 09:40 PM
Unreal is an absolute classic...had me hooked on PC gaming ever since. Unreal 2, on the hand, a huge, huge, disappointment. Although the graphics were decent for its time, everything else sucked. It was made by Legend, BTW.

Intel17
08-18-05, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't doubt that RT ray tracing will be included in the engine.

Realtime raytracing isn't even what you want for a realtime game engine. You can achieve very, very accurate shadow quality with shadow volumes (if you want to be 'pixel perfect' so to speak), or we can get extremely realistic soft shadowing using real-time techniques such as shadowmapping with a variable amount of jittered sampling.

I was reading GPU Gems II today, and I was reading up on how to implement a shader (in GLSL) to do per-pixel sampling of the shadow maps, and it was quite an interesting read, and even more interesting how easy it is to just arbitrarily up the quality at a performance cost (so the shadowbuffer technique is quite scalable based on different hardware configurations, making it ideal for the future).

So I doubt Unreal Engine 4 will be wasting resources with techniques such as raytracing. Now a realtime radiosity algorithm (or a close approximation) would be very interesting to see, and I wouldn't doubt that being included.