PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 time demo lost 18 fps

wavemachine
08-18-05, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I know there is another benchmarking thread but is is kind over overcrowded.

I have built a new PC A64 X2 4400+, 1 GB RAM, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, Gainward 7800GTX (only one).

If I install Doom 3 off the original CD (1.0) when I bench using TIMEDEMO DEMO 1 NOCAHCE it gives me a bench of 105fps (1280 x 1024).

However as soon as I install the version 1.3 patch the bench slows to 87 fps.

If I lower the resolution it still benches at 87FPS.

It seems to be capping it for some reason, VSYNC is switched off in doom 3 and is set to application controlled in the drivers which are ForceWare 7.77

Any ideas? I am using an LCD monitor not that it should make any difference

Zelda_fan
08-18-05, 11:47 AM
It really dosen't matter becasue doom3's internal clock is capped at 60 updates per second regardless. As long as the game is fluid, I don't see the problem.

wavemachine
08-18-05, 12:32 PM
Not a major problem, just wondered why when benching so many frames had dropped.

I find it confusing that when I read reviews of GFX cards they claim to be using Doom 1.3 and they are getting over 100 fps. Is there a new setting that was introduced in 1.3 I haven't seen?

Ninjaman09
08-18-05, 12:50 PM
What refresh rate are you running, 60hz or 75hz? It's really weird, and it doesn't affect actual gameplay, but my Doom 3 timedemo numbers are always lower unless I go into the autoexec.cfg file and add the line "r_displayrefresh 75" since I run my monitor at 75hz. For some reason this seems to allow the game to run unhindered and does noticably improve my timedemo score (to a similar magnitude as yours).

I have not seen a difference in-game however and have recently lost interest in benchmarking so I never bother with it anymore.

aAv7
08-18-05, 01:42 PM
Are you using two monitors? I remember there was a bug with doom 3, where if you had two monitors running at once, regardless if it's dual display or each seperate displays, it crippled performance a nice chunk.

Did you happen to activate a second monitor before doing that second run of the game with the 1.3 patch?

Also...you can always un-install the 1.3 patch and go back to what worked.

I'm personally still using the 1.1 patch, heard too many horror stories (no pun intended heh) about 1.3 and lower frames.

wavemachine
08-18-05, 02:17 PM
I am not using dual monitor.

I will stick with 1.3 for now as I have ROE to install which requires 1.3.

Thanks for the replies, it would appear it is nothing obvious though.