PDA

View Full Version : OMG Minority Report Style Display

Zelda_fan
08-19-05, 08:06 AM
Remember Minority Report when Tom Cruise was searching through the images useing his fingers on a hologram display? Well guess what. A device like that has been invented, and is nearly ready for retail. It supports VGA and RGB cabel connections, and runs at a higher resolution than DVDs currently support. It also acts like a virtual touchscreen through USB. At first they will make a limited number and they will cost $5000 per unit, but they say when mass produced the price will drop dramatically. The company is called IO2Technology, but at the moment, their website crashed due to so much recent traffic. Fourtantly, I found some google cache of it.

Good Mac News World article
http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/31303.html

Some Google cache
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:N4BnUUOmwzMJ:www.io2technology.com/dojo/196/v.jsp%3Fp%3D/technology/overview+IO2+Technology&hl=en&client=firefox-a
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:bgJmYh-H0w0J:www.io2technology.com/+IO2+Technology&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Rev_Night
08-19-05, 02:34 PM
hacks, ******* cheaters with their aimbots

Rakeesh
08-19-05, 03:03 PM
Operational Sound Level

36 dB/ 45 dB

That is a pretty noisy display. It is probably something that can be improved over time though.

Zelda_fan
08-19-05, 03:36 PM
That is a pretty noisy display. It is probably something that can be improved over time though.

Yeah that's true, but this is a HUGE step in display technology. A hologram display that will plug right into your DVD/Computer will be able to be purchases for $5000 in a few months. The technology will of course get better, but IMHO this is the future of display technology.

GamerGuyX
08-19-05, 03:42 PM
Yeah that's true, but this is a HUGE step in display technology. A hologram display that will plug right into your DVD/Computer will be able to be purchases for $5000 in a few months. The technology will of course get better, but IMHO this is the future of display technology.

I haven't really read any of the article yet but did they say if there were any inherent disadvantages with this technology? Like for for example slow response time, etc.

Soylent
08-19-05, 03:57 PM
I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this. This display is nothing special, it's a huge step BACKWARD in display technology and totally useless.

It displays an unstable, blurry, lowres 2d image on a laminar sheet of flowing foggy air with a projector(fog acts as a mie scatterer which is roughly wavelength independent). On top of that you get an image that is sensitive to wind and has piss poor black levels(fog is kinda translucent) unless you take it into the lavatory shut the door and switch of the lights.

It is NOT freaking 3d. It is NOT a freaking hologram. It is a projector projecting on a thin film of fog comming out of the apparatus.

That's all there is too it. Nothing to see here. Move on.

The image is display into two-dimensional space (i.e.planar). Heliodisplay images appear 3D when viewed from more than a few feetaway because there is no physical depth reference. Images can be seen up to 75 off aspect for a total viewing area of over 150-- similar to an LCD screen. Viewing requires no special glasses or background/foreground screening.

----
I haven't really read any of the article yet but did they say if there were any inherent disadvantages with this technology? Like for for example slow response time, etc.

Response time for all intents and purposes the response time of the projector since it's only scattering light off of fog.

Rakeesh
08-19-05, 04:58 PM

I don't think you would have a problem with response time at all as it is pretty much projector like.

I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this. This display is nothing special, it's a huge step BACKWARD in display technology and totally useless.

It displays an unstable, blurry, lowres 2d image on a laminar sheet of flowing foggy air with a projector(fog acts as a mie scatterer which is roughly wavelength independent). On top of that you get an image that is sensitive to wind and has piss poor black levels(fog is kinda translucent) unless you take it into the lavatory shut the door and switch of the lights.

It is NOT freaking 3d. It is NOT a freaking hologram. It is a projector projecting on a thin film of fog comming out of the apparatus.

That's all there is too it. Nothing to see here. Move on.

Eh...I don't suppose you have ever heard of technological evolution? Perhapse maybe that when a given new technology comes out, it doesn't stay that way forever?

Recall the first PC LCDs you had to be sitting directly in front of in order to see anything at all, and then the pixel response times would take easily 500-750ms.

This thing may not be much right now, but I guarentee you it will eventually (probably within the next 8-15 years) see a very widespread application. My first guess would be having it miniaturized and used in PDAs and cell phones (e.g. a full sized screen and full sized keyboard that doesn't physically exist, but rather is displayed in front of you, and the PDA itself could be about the size of a stick of gum.)

-=DVS=-
08-19-05, 05:32 PM
You must have missed this
It is NOT freaking 3d. It is NOT a freaking hologram. It is a projector projecting on a thin film of fog comming out of the apparatus
Don't excpect anything advanced from projector and thin film of fog comming , its far from SciFi holograms , correct me if im wrong but its not even same tech area projector&fog |= lazer holograms .

Rakeesh
08-19-05, 06:00 PM
You must have missed this

That I did not. I understand exactly what this is. What he is basically suggesting is that this technology will never go anywhere. To say that about anything is completely lacking in foresight.

Elderblaze
08-19-05, 11:48 PM
this ****'s been around for years, I've seen a demo of it like 10 years ago or somthing, you see how far it's come in 10 years? it's not going anywhere.

LycosV
08-20-05, 12:48 AM
Unfortunatly this technology really will go nowhere, at least when you're talking about 3D holograms. Because you're projecting onto fog it's not like you can make it 3D with any ammount of tech, the light hits the fog and bounces back, it can't go deeper with certain light and shallow with others to make a 3D image. Also it's not like it can be used in a portable situation, the fog doesn't (excuse the expression) come out of thin air. Because there isn't a water supply, some cooling and collection setup must exist inside to, and I quote, "modify the air" in the room. That kind of equipment is far from portable or energy efficient.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very neat technology. Signs that you could walk through or, as mentioned above, moving stuff around with a grab interface (like this particular product) is really cool. It's just far from the future of display technology.