PDA

View Full Version : Leadteks 6800gt artifacts

pbryd
08-20-05, 05:36 AM
Hi Guys

Have any of you guys came across these ray like artifacts?

example
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/995/screen0054da.jpg

I've just bought the card, played doom3 and farcry with no probs but these artifacts are showing up on POP2 and Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow.

Dxdiag runs ok but these artifacts show up on 3dmark03 too

I've tried a few different drivers for the card upto 77.77 and different via 4in1 drivers but no luck.

I've even ran the card from it's own PSU (spare i had laying around) and still these are showing up.

I have an RMA number, if I can't get it sorted I'll have to send it back on Monday.

Any thoughts

Phil

BioHazZarD
08-20-05, 08:29 AM
whats the temps then ?

pbryd
08-20-05, 08:51 AM
Temps are in the region of 55-65

Phil

chaosmaker
08-20-05, 12:16 PM
The artifacts I got started out gradually, but with-in one week it got so nothing could be read anymore, everything was corrupt to include the bios screen. It took 4 RMA's to get a card in good working order. Each one they sent was worse than the last, until number 4. It's very easy to see the difference in this replacement also, under the back copper heatsink (the non fan side) there are thermal pads, not grease but pads that appear to be keeping the copper off the electronics, I'm a little leary of removing the heatsink, I never noticed these pads on the other cards.

rohit
08-20-05, 04:50 PM
pbryd, try usng the driver version 6x.xx example 67.03 whql. if you still get artifacts, then its the card, rma it.

chaosmaker, i think you need to rma this one too.

chaosmaker
08-20-05, 05:56 PM
Why would I want to RMA this one too? Do you know something maybe we should all know and don't?

Viventis
08-21-05, 09:24 AM
I started getting artifacts like that with a ATI 9800 Pro that died after 2.5 years. Luckily, it was under warranty and ATI sent a new one that did not have any of the same problems. It is running in my second computer now.

rohit
08-21-05, 02:55 PM
Why would I want to RMA this one too? Do you know something maybe we should all know and don't?
Becuase you posted "it artifacts"
so i supposed you you should get a replacement. if you dont want to, its fine.

K-1
08-21-05, 04:41 PM
Becuase you posted "it artifacts"
so i supposed you you should get a replacement. if you dont want to, its fine.

re-read chaosmaker's post, he's already got a good card, just took 4 RMAs hehe.

hardestofcore
08-21-05, 05:52 PM
:confused: First post here, hi guys, anyways I just built a 1400$ rig for a friend using a leadtek 6800gt and first game i loaded was the prince of persia warrior within game that came with it, it ran horribly, video stuttering and artifacts in game, i questioned whether or not it could have just been a horribly horribly ported version, well im still wondering cause the leadtek 6800gt which has the new smaller fans on it, single slot idled at around 66c and was artifacting in almost all games at just in the 80s with load, it annoyed me to hell ive had this comp 3 weeks now with friend waiting i can seem to lower the temps on it, i finally picked up a nv silencer but its idling at 70+ best i had was 71 with it, feels like no air is coming out the back but the fan is spinning, i tried switching wires and realized that fan doesnt spin at all, its really annoying, I have no idea if it is the 6800gt thats the problem or the cooling solution, Im using a thermaltake tsunami case, has 3 case fans, 2 intakes, 1 front and one side panel. Anyone have any ideas, Ill make a seperate post in full detail because its taking a toll on me, and 3 weeks of paying for a computer and not using it is a loss of time and money from the tech aspect, which im getting to the point of just shelling out some of my own money and buying a new card.

pbryd
08-22-05, 03:36 AM
pbryd, try usng the driver version 6x.xx example 67.03 whql. if you still get artifacts, then its the card, rma it.

Yes, I've drivers 6x.xx and the problem still shows, I have an RMA number and it's going back this week.

Phil

Delbert
08-22-05, 06:46 AM
Been getting those sort of things since i got my card 12 months ago.... Only in Joint OP's and it changes with Driver versions.... setting High Quality ( no optimisations ) in NV Ctrl Panel seems to fix it for me.... The XG 77.76 drivers seem to be best for clearing this up for me.... :angel:

|MaguS|
08-22-05, 06:53 AM
I say try setting your AGP to 4x if its set at 8x, I know when I had a 6800GT and my old 754 motherboard it would artifact at 8xAGP but ran fine at 4xAGP. There is no performance loss so don't worry...

alexgontijo
08-26-05, 09:31 PM
Solved?

pbryd
08-27-05, 02:40 AM
Solved?

RMA'd, waiting to hear.

Will post the outcome

Phil

pbryd
09-06-05, 06:55 AM
Well I sent the Leadtek card back and it has been replaced with an XFX version. 6800gt

The xfx seems to be working fine, I sent Prince of Persia2 back with the Leadtek bundle so I can't test that game but 3dmark03 ran without any artifacts.

So all initial signs are good.

When I first bought the pc it had a Sparkle 5600xt card in, this gave me problems on some games at the time, (No-one Lives Forever 2) although Call of Duty ran fine. I returned the base and they replaced the card with an XFX 5600xt version.

This time I updated to a Leadtek 6800gt which had to be returned because some games were corrupt (POP2) although Doom3 ran fine. Now the Leadtek has been replaced by an XFX 6800gt an all looks sweet again.

I don't know if I have been unlucky with the sparkle and leadtek brand but if I ever look for another card for a mobo with VIA chipsets I'd definately go for the XFX brand.

I'm not implying other don't work with VIA but from experience XFX has came to the rescue twice now.

Phil

alexgontijo
09-06-05, 09:53 AM
Good luck with your new baby Phil!

I never had an XFX card so I can't tell, but I'm very pleased with my Leadtek. The 6800 is awesome, for almost 1 year and it's still rocking! I had an MSI and now the Leadtek, both of them excellent cards! The Leadtek has a better cooling, so I raised the overclock.

AleX

pbryd
09-06-05, 10:52 AM
Cheers Alex,

Hopefully I won't have any bother with this card, as far as O/C'ing I'll leave it, don't fancy playing around with it esp after the trouble i've had.

Phil