PDA

View Full Version : 6800 and farcry shadows

Daneel Olivaw
08-20-05, 11:47 AM
this is with or without HDR, patch 1.3, drivers 77.77

Has anyone posted this already? I've reinstalled Far Cry 3 times, and with everything maxed I get these shadows...
Leadtek 6800LE
The only to not get them is drop the textures to standard...

My agp aperture is at 256MB

Burnt_Ram
08-20-05, 01:22 PM
this is with or without HDR, patch 1.3, drivers 77.77

Has anyone posted this already? I've reinstalled Far Cry 3 times, and with everything maxed I get these shadows...
Leadtek 6800LE
The only to not get them is drop the textures to standard...

My agp aperture is at 256MB i have the same thing. it's the 77.77's. only solution i know is go to a diffirent version....

Meusa
08-20-05, 02:56 PM
Try renaming FarCry.exe to something different. I think this fixed it for me on 77.77.

F_L_C
08-20-05, 04:06 PM
It's not just 77.77 that causes this, but every 77.xx after 77.50. 77.50 is also the last driver that works with HDR and doesn't cause the "pink HDR syndrome":

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4428/fc77722gj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OWA
08-20-05, 04:13 PM
It's not just 77.77 that causes this, but every 77.xx after 77.50. 77.50 is also the last driver that works with HDR and doesn't cause the "pink HDR syndrome":

Or, you can avoid installing the latest Far Cry patches. I'm using just the 1.3 version and HDR works fine for me with the 77.76s and 77.77s.

F_L_C
08-20-05, 04:26 PM
Didn't know the patches had anything to do with it.

But going back to 1.3 means missing out on some of the enhancements of the 64 bit content.

OWA
08-20-05, 04:28 PM
Edit: Hmm, doesn't seem to be working for me when I click on the thumbnails. Imageshack is just giving me a blank white page. So, I got rid of the image shack links and uploaded the files here. Compressed and resized to fit under 100k.

Using 77.77 and Far Cry 1.3. HDR shots are using mode 7.

HDR 7................Off...................HDR 7.................Off

Roliath
08-20-05, 04:41 PM

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4428/fc77722gj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hey I found a fix for this.
Change the name of the profile in the nvidia control panel to anything but FarCry
You see I changed mine to FARCY, it worked for me it might work for you.
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/3382/farcryhdrfix7yo.th.jpg (http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=farcryhdrfix7yo.jpg)

macatak
08-20-05, 10:17 PM
Try renaming FarCry.exe to something different. I think this fixed it for me on 77.77.
That worked for me to, fixed both the "shadow" bug and the "pink HDR" bug
thx

ps, i notice there is no Far Cry profile in the 77.50 drivers which is probably why they don't have the problem :)

toxikneedle
08-20-05, 10:27 PM
I got 77.77 with HDR and SM3 and everything turned up, I'm replaying FarCry ATM and got no graphical glitches at all. This game still amazes me...

Daneel Olivaw
08-21-05, 12:23 AM

Hey thanks man! Everything works A+ now! :)

F_L_C
08-22-05, 12:24 AM
Well, this renaming trick does indeed work. But what are the consequeces, if any, of bypassing NV's Far Cry profile? What is the purpose of this profile for non-SLI systems anyways? I haven't had time today to bench but does this workaround affect performance in any measurable way?

macatak
08-22-05, 12:44 AM
Well, this renaming trick does indeed work. But what are the consequeces, if any, of bypassing NV's Far Cry profile? What is the purpose of this profile for non-SLI systems anyways? I haven't had time today to bench but does this workaround affect performance in any measurable way?

I just tried to run a benchmark with the FC Benchmarking Utility 1.4.1 but it throws up an error with the renamed farcry.exe, might have to use the in-built benchmark.

macatak
08-22-05, 01:40 AM
*edit*
No difference between the 77.77's and the 77.50's with the renaming of the farcry.exe

ps, 1st time i ran the benchmarks there was a difference but that was because the AA level changed between driver installs for some reason.

F_L_C
08-24-05, 03:08 AM
I've done this renaming trick with NFSU2 as well to solve a freezing problem with 77.77 and the 1.2 patch. That's two games now where NV's profiles have screwed things up.

Mac, do you know why these profiles are in these recent drivers in the first place? They don't improve performance or IQ in any noticeble way. Just makes no sense for non-SLI setups...

macatak
08-24-05, 04:16 AM
I've done this renaming trick with NFSU2 as well to solve a freezing problem with 77.77 and the 1.2 patch. That's two games now where NV's profiles have screwed things up.

Mac, do you know why these profiles are in these recent drivers in the first place? They don't improve performance or IQ in any noticeble way. Just makes no sense for non-SLI setups...

I've never had much need to use the profiles in the past, i just set what ever i need using the in-game video options but now with the triple-buffering option i should try them, would come in handy when switching between games that are OpenGL and Direct3D(Doom3 RoE, Far Cry etc)

F_L_C
08-25-05, 05:05 AM
Maybe I'm confused about this profile stuff. The way I understand it is that NV codes certain "built-in profiles" in the drivers for popular games. So the when you click farcry.exe or speed2.exe the drivers detect it and these "profiles" kick-in. I assume the purpose is to optimize performance/IQ for each individual popular game, whether it be for single or SLI setups. These are the types of profiles I'm referring to as opposed to the user-profiles that change settings such as AA/AF, gamma, trip buff, etc.

Apparently, these "driver profiles" are what's causing the performance/IQ issues in games like FarCry and NFSU2 in recent driver builds. Otherwise, why would a simple renaming of the executables (hence fooling the driver, if you will) solve the issues? All guesswork here, I'm no low-level coder...

macatak
08-25-05, 05:11 AM
Yeah, it's the profiles that are built into the drivers, what i have done instead of renaming the farcry.exe i found the driver profiles in the Registry for Far Cry and renamed them to farcry1 and that works the same, now i can run the Far Cry Benchmarking Utilty without getting an error. :)

Grestorn
08-25-05, 08:47 AM
The problem is that there's a bug in the latest driver that causes an option that is meant for SLI to misbehave on non-SLI systems.

So to resolve the problem, you can either remove the FarCry profile completely, or you just remove the SLI stuff (if you don't have a SLI rig).

To do the latter, you could use nHancer 1.2 beta 6 (see my signature) which has the option to remove all SLI related options in the profiles. That not only makes the list of profiles much smaller and concise but it also resolves any bugs caused by SLI profile settings (like the FarCry problem).

F_L_C
08-25-05, 06:47 PM
I always suspected some type of 7800-specific "interference" since these problems started occurring, coincidentally, when the builds began to support the new gen. But it was an SLI profile bug all along. I'm guessing we single-slot Far Cry junkies aren't the highest priority at NV so these workarounds will have to suffice for now. Mac, where is the location of the profiles reg keys?

BTW, Grestorn, the only thing keeping me from using your excellent tool is...you guessed it...dotnot framework.

macatak
08-25-05, 07:21 PM
I always suspected some type of 7800-specific "interference" since these problems started occurring, coincidentally, when the builds began to support the new gen. But it was an SLI profile bug all along. I'm guessing we single-slot Far Cry junkies aren't the highest priority at NV so these workarounds will have to suffice for now. Mac, where is the location of the profiles reg keys?

BTW, Grestorn, the only thing keeping me from using your excellent tool is...you guessed it...dotnot framework.

HOTKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fc9bu.jpg

F_L_C
08-25-05, 07:44 PM
Wow, lots of profiles in there. Thanks Mac.