PDA

View Full Version : The Wall - A game with fully destructible envorinment

SH64
08-20-05, 07:18 PM
Good to see a new game that walk into the same path of Red Faction!

At the Liepzig Game Convention is was revealed that World Forge is not only working on the RTS Sparta Ancient Wars, but also started a brand new project, using a brand new 3D engine with fully destructible envorinment, The Wall. Read more for details and the first, impressive, screens...
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=27590&mode=thread&order=0

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2669/thewall050bx.jpg

Game Features

* Total fair destruction of the game world.
* Open gameplay with strategic planning.
* Tense storyline combining elements of thriller and sci-fi.
* Support for all the latest technologies: dynamic lighting, specular, bump and parallax mapping, powerful physical engine.

Subtestube
08-20-05, 07:23 PM
As much as that looks cool, is anyone else getting a little sick of the 'bloom' effect? I realise it's actually HDR, but HDR doesn't require that amount of blur (or any, in fact - now there's a common misconception).

Otherwise, good stuff - the whole fully destructable game envi should be awesome if it works.

aaahhh52
08-21-05, 12:50 AM
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.......

Gentle
08-21-05, 01:20 AM
You just gotta think that Roger Waters will throw a fit about the name they are using...

Gentle

jAkUp
08-21-05, 02:05 AM
Nice! :D

Skinner
08-21-05, 10:22 AM
As much as that looks cool, is anyone else getting a little sick of the 'bloom' effect? I realise it's actually HDR, but HDR doesn't require that amount of blur (or any, in fact - now there's a common misconception).

Otherwise, good stuff - the whole fully destructable game envi should be awesome if it works.

Yes, way overused, the same counts for the offsetmapping and shiny apearience..

$n][pErMan
08-21-05, 12:41 PM
Anyone else think that looks like sh!t??? I dunno ... doom3 looks way better IMO. At least they could use some AA too when they take these pics.

Zips
08-21-05, 07:34 PM
[pErMan']Anyone else think that looks like sh!t??? I dunno ... doom3 looks way better IMO. At least they could use some AA too when they take these pics.
You're comparing a FPS (Doom 3) with a RTS ... Of course I'd say that D3 should look better because you're immersed in the environment unlike in RTS games (for the most part).

Brimstone7
08-21-05, 09:05 PM
This isn't an RTS game. I believe the article says this company is working on an RTS title AND this game, they are not one and the same.

SH64
08-21-05, 10:18 PM
Yeah its not RTS ..
Tense storyline combining elements of thriller and sci-fi.
so it could be either FPS or 3rdP action game.

& for those comparing Doom3 to this one .. does Doom3 offer any kind of destructible envorinments ??

Zips
08-21-05, 11:12 PM
Ah, I read the above quoted blurb (first post) about the RTS as being about this game. My bad.

$n][pErMan
08-21-05, 11:15 PM
Yeah its not RTS ..

so it could be either FPS or 3rdP action game.

& for those comparing Doom3 to this one .. does Doom3 offer any kind of destructible envorinments ??
Who cares if you can destroy things if it looks like sh!t? Not me :p Im just saying... if your going to take pictures in a game to promote it... at least use some AA or show something cool if you cant. If I had to choose whether to buy this game or not based on the pic.. id laugh at it and go buy another. :rolleyes: Now I admit... graphics are not everything ... I love Civ III and thats hardly top of the line graphics wise by todays standards. But its common sense to make your pics look as good as you can. Plus... using AA no matter the hit to FPS does not mean crap when its a still photo :p

Brimstone7
08-22-05, 01:50 AM
I'm not a graphics guru like some of the other guys on this forum but I think that currently you can't use both HDR and AA at the same time. At least this is the way it was in Far Cry and Splinter Cell 3...

I think the screenshots look pretty good. Most upcoming games are going a little over the top with the bloom effect but that's normal when it comes to new graphics features. Developers like to show off how advanced their engine is by cranking things way up (like lense flares and such) but I expect that the bloom will be toned down in future games to look more realistic.

Subtestube
08-22-05, 01:55 AM
Honestly I couldn't care less about realism - what I want is good artistic design. I love the look of the city stuff from UT2k7, because the artistic design is just so good. My favourite piece of tech demo I've seen recently is the extremely undemanding and very minimal Drivey (http://www.drivey.com). That much bloom in "The Wall" is just ridiculous (IMO)..

But you're right - at present you can't have FP16 blended HDR and AA all at once.

Edge
08-22-05, 04:02 AM
Whoa, that Drivey thing is pretty cool. Plus if you rename it .scr, you can install it as a screensaver!

Anyway, I don't see what's so bad about that picture. Sure, the bloom is a bit much, but the arcitecture looks great, and the concept of a fully destructible environment (assuming that's not just a PR spin) is extremely interesting. Plus I like the way the bloom actually puts a hazy effect over the entire tower instead of just stopping at the edges like most bloom methods do. But you can always turn it off if you find it too distracting, although since practically every other visual element is exadurated in games I don't see why bloom is seen any differently.

Subtestube
08-22-05, 04:33 AM
To be fair - I do actually like the architecture in that shot. I'm only a critic of that much... bloom.

SH64
08-22-05, 08:41 AM
But you can always turn it off if you find it too distracting, although since practically every other visual element is exadurated in games I don't see why bloom is seen any differently.

Good point .. why do people always make a fuss about bloom when you always have the option to enable/disable it at your desire ??
i played some games with & without bloom . it looked good in some .. like Thief3 & in others it looked awful .. take Brothers In Arms for one.

in this shot though .. it looks pretty good IMO & used properly.

as for why no AA .. well i agree there should be some unless that shot was taken with HDR enabled , BUT i always believe that the experianced eye dont need AA to value the quality of the graphics in any screenshot ;)

Tygerwoody
08-22-05, 10:44 AM
whatever.... HDR/Bloom rocks. You dont like it, turn it off. Thats like saying you are anoyed at Bologna Sandwiches. I for one hate Bologna, so therefor i don't eat it. Where is the problem in that :confused:

Marcos
08-22-05, 03:37 PM
there was this girl in highschool that we called "The Wall"

oh i mean..

GAHHH RED FACTION BLLARRRGGGG

|MaguS|
08-22-05, 03:40 PM
You shall not speak ill of Red Faction!

Marcos
08-22-05, 03:46 PM
You shall not speak ill of Red Faction!

i <3 red faction, best multiplayer ever.

Mr. Hunt
08-22-05, 06:02 PM
i <3 red faction, best multiplayer ever.

Until you play some jackass that decides to dig himself a long hallway that curves all around and then uses the rail gun.... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE YOU SOB!