PDA

View Full Version : Zalman VF700-cu Temperatures?

Pages : [1] 2

KingboyA
08-21-05, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone.

I am currently getting a little obsessed with temperatures in my system and trying to get them down, but need a definitive guide to compare to, from you.

My Galaxy 6800GT stats (370/1000) stock:

Idle: : 54c
Load (RTHDRIBL) after 5mins : 68c
Ambient : 31c
Room Temp :24c

I do not have AS5 on the GPU yet that is coming soon. I have 2 80mm fans in, and 2 out.

What sort of numbers is everyone else getting? I am quite happy with these, but it would be nice to have a comparison.

Cheers

Tony ;)

joshua7
08-21-05, 12:13 PM
Have the vf700cu.
Idle: 45 (room temp 23-25)
53 (room temp 29-30)

Burn: max. 72 (after 20 mins of rthdribl, room: 29)

With the default cooler I had the temps you have now. The Zalman dropped them by some 5-15 degrees! A great cooler!

KingboyA
08-21-05, 12:31 PM
Hi

The problem is that I am using the Zalman VF700-cu cooler now, but with non AS5 thermal paste. Do you think there would be a significant drop in temp using AS5?

Maybe the copper isnt seated on the gpu properly? How can you check?

Cheers

MUYA
08-21-05, 12:33 PM
I would hazard a guess of few degrees?

aAv7
08-21-05, 01:28 PM
I'm not using AS5.

Everyone's temp's seem fine to me.

I do anywhere from 48C-54C idle depending on room temp.

And anywhere from 65C-75C full load, again, depending on room temp.

This is all with the OC in my sig.

blackngold
08-21-05, 02:34 PM
stock cooling:
564/1057mhz
42idle/77 load (1 hour rthdribl.exe)

after Zalman/AS5:
583/1060mhz
36idle/51 LOAD (1 hour rthdribl)

AS5 makes a huge difference, unless you are already using Ceramique, in which case you may see an additional 1-5 degree drop

KingboyA
08-21-05, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Anymore?

Cheers

loafer87gt
08-22-05, 05:04 PM
My Zalman lowered temps by over 25 C. Prior to installing the Zalman, my BFG 6800 GT was sitting at around 75 C at idle during winter in my apartment, hitting well over 110 under load. After installing the Zalman, my temps dropped to 50-55 C and the card never hits above 75 under load. The difference you will see from the stock cooler depends upon the quality of the card. In my case, I was using a crappy BFG card that looked like it was thrown together at quarter to 5 on a Friday afternoon by a drunken mexican. If you are using a decent quality card though, you might not see as much of a gain.

blackngold
08-22-05, 08:01 PM
My Zalman lowered temps by over 25 C. Prior to installing the Zalman, my BFG 6800 GT was sitting at around 75 C at idle during winter in my apartment, hitting well over 110 under load. After installing the Zalman, my temps dropped to 50-55 C and the card never hits above 75 under load. The difference you will see from the stock cooler depends upon the quality of the card. In my case, I was using a crappy BFG card that looked like it was thrown together at quarter to 5 on a Friday afternoon by a drunken mexican. If you are using a decent quality card though, you might not see as much of a gain.

hahahaha

you know those BFGs are made by Chaintech, right?

all they do is slap on copper ramsinks instead of identical alum. ones on Chaintech, and a non-reference HSF, which probably doesn't work as well as Chaintech's reference HSF anyway, ha.

they don't even bother to change Chaintech as the Bios vendor, lol, all they do is add 25mhz to the VRAM and core, heck I can do better than that myself.

same with their mobos, BTW.

j0j081
08-22-05, 09:31 PM
hahahaha

all they do is slap on copper ramsinks instead of identical alum. ones on Chaintech, and a non-reference HSF, which probably doesn't work as well as Chaintech's reference HSF anyway, ha.

they don't even bother to change Chaintech as the Bios vendor, lol, all they do is add 25mhz to the VRAM and core, heck I can do better than that myself.

Are you sure about that? Anyone want to verify? If they are such crap why do so many people here swear by them...

j0j081
08-22-05, 09:33 PM
stock cooling:

AS5 makes a huge difference, unless you are already using Ceramique, in which case you may see an additional 1-5 degree drop
I didn't see any difference after applying it on my card but I don't know what it came with.

blackngold
08-22-05, 10:14 PM
Are you sure about that? Anyone want to verify? If they are such crap why do so many people here swear by them...

there's really nothing to verify
it's widely known at this point
and Chaintech is far from crap
in addition to my MSI Neo4-F, I've run a Chaintech VNF4Ultra longer
have a Chaintech 6600GT @583/1060
both of them are kick-butt products for what they cost
both are mean overclockers

graphics cards and mobos both companies
same card, same bios, same ram heatsinks, bfg uses a different material for theirs and uses a different fan assembly

look at the pictures
Chaintech produces them, BFG buys them and OCs them with the physical changes mentioned above (GPUs anyway, obviously not mobos)
crap I just flashed my VNF4Ultra to the BFG bios to see if there were any differences, no problem
it sucked, so I flashed back
FFS, BFG lists 'Chaintech' as the Bios vendor in its GPU bios, right there, plain as day

want to save a buck off of BFG?
buy a Chaintech and overclock it yourself

KingboyA
08-23-05, 10:00 AM
I just wanted to know what sort of temperature drop I could expect to get! :eek:

Cheers

Tony ;)

j0j081
08-23-05, 09:52 PM
there's really nothing to verify
it's widely known at this point
and Chaintech is far from crap
in addition to my MSI Neo4-F, I've run a Chaintech VNF4Ultra longer
have a Chaintech 6600GT @583/1060
both of them are kick-butt products for what they cost
both are mean overclockers

graphics cards and mobos both companies
same card, same bios, same ram heatsinks, bfg uses a different material for theirs and uses a different fan assembly

look at the pictures
Chaintech produces them, BFG buys them and OCs them with the physical changes mentioned above (GPUs anyway, obviously not mobos)
crap I just flashed my VNF4Ultra to the BFG bios to see if there were any differences, no problem
it sucked, so I flashed back
FFS, BFG lists 'Chaintech' as the Bios vendor in its GPU bios, right there, plain as day

want to save a buck off of BFG?
buy a Chaintech and overclock it yourself

oh well thanks for the info then. just never heard it before like i said.

laydback
08-24-05, 01:02 AM
hahahaha

Are you reffering to the BFG 6600 or 6800?

Rytr
08-24-05, 01:16 AM
I just wanted to know what sort of temperature drop I could expect to get! :eek:

Cheers

Tony ;)

The best I got with my 6800GT, AGP, with the Zalman was 48C at idle. Mid 60s at max. You can pull the heatsink off and check and see if you are getting a full imprint. Most I have seen get almost 100% contact with the gpu. You never know something might be off. Once off you can lay a straight-edge across the contact surface and if you can see light between the edge of the straight-edge and the surface a little block sanding on the heatsink's surface may help.

911medic
08-24-05, 01:49 AM
hahahaha

same with their mobos, BTW.Are you reffering to the BFG 6600 or 6800?He must be referring to the BFG 6600 since
1) My BFG 6800GT's BIOS vendor is blank
2) The HSF is integrated with the RAM cooling solution on 6800GTs (no separate RAMsinks)
3) The BFG HSF on the 6800GT's is either the reference nVidia HSF or BFG's own 2-fan model
4) BFG only OC's the GPU (by 20 MHz, not 25) on the 6800GT, not the VRAM.

And while it is widely accepted (except by Kyle at [H]ardOCP) that BFG's nForce4 mobo is a rebadged Chaintech VNF4, this is the first I've heard of BFG using rebadged videocards.

FFS, BFG lists 'Chaintech' as the Bios vendor in its GPU bios, right there, plain as dayAhhh, afraid not. :rolleyes:

F_L_C
08-24-05, 03:22 AM
I do not have AS5 on the GPU yet that is coming soon.

When you apply the AS5, definitely go with the the "Large Contact Area CPUs" method:

http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

I was skeptical this method would make any difference until I actually tried it. Lowered idle temps by 2 - 3 degrees over the other method.

j0j081
08-24-05, 07:40 AM
He must be referring to the BFG 6600 since
2) The HSF is integrated with the RAM cooling solution on 6800GTs (no separate RAMsinks)
3) The BFG HSF on the 6800GT's is either the reference nVidia HSF or BFG's own 2-fan model

And while it is widely accepted (except by Kyle at [H]ardOCP) that BFG's nForce4 mobo is a rebadged Chaintech VNF4, this is the first I've heard of BFG using rebadged videocards.

Ahhh, afraid not. :rolleyes:
LMAO SO he was wrong then! Too bad I was stupid enough to believe him for a day.

blackngold
08-27-05, 03:04 AM
He must be referring to the BFG 6600 since

Ahhh, afraid not. :rolleyes:

yeah, here you go, smart guy

from MVK (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=34&func=view&id=7674&catid=13)

I don't have the patience to lead you by the hand through the process, but go ahead and check out some more bios for yourself here (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=63)

chaintech mobo rebadged---chaintech bios
chaintech vid rebadged---same friggin deal

BFGs are made by Chaintech.

editxxxx:
just to furthur prove my point, notice that all 6xxx bios by either Chaintech or BFG have no vendor id...Chaintech bios (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=64)

in response to...
1) see above. so is mine (Chaintech SE6600G).
2)-4)yeah, 6600GT. what on earth is your point here? who was talking about a 6800GT in the first place?

Look, just examine the 6800 bios from each vendor side-by-side. I defy you to find anything different apart from the chintzy 20mhz OC on the core. Bear in mind I have not even seen your bios, nor the Chiantech 6800GT bios.

nice 'rolleyes' btw. F!

Acid Rain
08-27-05, 04:04 AM
Are you sure about that? Anyone want to verify? If they are such crap why do so many people here swear by them... 6800GTs oced by 25mhz on both the gpu and the ram? No. Sorry. It's a 20mhz oc on the GPU, and no oc on the ram. Just so you know.

Room temp 80, max GPU temp=72c with vf700cu.

KingboyA
08-27-05, 06:47 AM
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies. Time for an update on cooling my 6800GT!

Well, I now have the AS5 on the GPU with the zalman on it, and have a 49c idle temp (was 58c) with 29c ambient (was 36ish), and under load the temp has not been seen to go over 64c! (All at stock speeds). Room temp mid 20c's

I am chuffed to bits. I also bought one of those Vantec PCI fan cards, and that does a great job cooling the whole lot down! I cleaned up all the cabling in the case too, and that made a big difference too.

Time for the overclocking! :cool:

Seriously, thanks for the help. I think I have got a good result without going to the water cooling side of things.

All this and the AS5 needs to be broken in, so maybe I will get a tiny bit lower still!! :eek:

Cheers

Tony

blackngold
08-27-05, 01:22 PM
6800GTs oced by 25mhz on both the gpu and the ram? No. Sorry. It's a 20mhz oc on the GPU, and no oc on the ram. Just so you know.

Room temp 80, max GPU temp=72c with vf700cu.

my god, are you guys missing the point.

BTW, both Chaintech AND BFG OC their 6800GT cores by 20mhz to 370
so what exactly is paying extra for a BFG gaining you? hahahaha

frigging lol

Acid Rain
08-27-05, 08:38 PM
my god, are you guys missing the point.

BTW, both Chaintech AND BFG OC their 6800GT cores by 20mhz to 370
so what exactly is paying extra for a BFG gaining you? hahahaha

frigging lolB-Better/F-Friggen/G-Graphics. :p

And a much larger e-pen0s.

911medic
09-01-05, 12:33 AM
OK, this will be my last response to this troll.
yeah, here you go, smart guy

from MVK (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=34&func=view&id=7674&catid=13)Wow! What a definative link! Here's a quote, from said link: "Well BFG and Chaintech share somehow on several BIOS's the same Vendor ID... That is why most BFG BIOS show Chaintech. And that is just it nothing more nothing less."--Mavke
That certainly seals the deal on your position that "those BFGs are made by Chaintech."they don't even bother to change Chaintech as the Bios vendor, loljust to furthur prove my point, notice that all 6xxx bios by either Chaintech or BFG have no vendor id...Nice contradiction! And the fact that neither vendor's BIOS has a vendor ID certainly locks it up that they're both made by Chaintech. Unless, of course, your position is that a blank vendor ID means it's made by Chaintech.in response to...
1) [blank BIOS vendor ID] see above. so is mine (Chaintech SE6600G).Again, contradicting your previous post that BFG doesn't bother to change the vendor ID from Chaintech.2)-4)yeah, 6600GT. what on earth is your point here? who was talking about a 6800GT in the first place?YOU WERE!! Go back and re-read post number 9 in this thread, where you quote loafer87gt's post regarding his BFG 6800GT, then proceed to tell him "hahahaha you know those BFGs are made by Chaintech, right?" Do you even read what you type?Look, just examine the 6800 bios from each vendor side-by-side. I defy you to find anything different apart from the chintzy 20mhz OC on the core. Bear in mind I have not even seen your bios, nor the Chiantech 6800GT bios.BTW, both Chaintech AND BFG OC their 6800GT cores by 20mhz to 370
so what exactly is paying extra for a BFG gaining you? hahahahaLet's see, first, it was that BFG OC'd the Chaintech-built card's core AND RAM by 25 MHz. Then it was that BFG just OC'd the Chaintech-built card's core by a "chintzy" 20 MHz (which would be the only difference I'd find should I examine their BIOS's side-by-side). And finally--folks, forget everything he said before--actually BOTH vendors OC their cores exactly the same!!

And the great thing about it is you're still wrong. Chaintech does NOT OC their core on the 6800GT at all. Proof? Well, here's a popular online vendor (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=323262), and, hey! Howzabout Chaintech themselves (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=14&PISNo=296)? See where it says "Engine Clock: 350 MHz"? Good God. Oh, and I love how you prove your point about the BIOS being the key factor indicating that BFG just rebadges Chaintech video cards, then state you haven't seen either vendor's BIOS for the 6800GT. Nice.

And, finally...nice 'rolleyes' btw. F!Almost as nice as the repeated "hahaha"s and "FFS" and "frigging lol" sarcasm you use in nearly every post in this thread.

You don't like BFG video cards? Think they're overpriced? Think they're rebadged Chaintech products? Fine with me. You're entitled to your opinion. (My opinion is that it's a kick-a$$ product, with great 24/7 LIVE customer support, a true lifetime warranty, and that warranty is for a product that's already OC'd!) However, when you repeatedly contradict yourself, post flat out false information to support your argument, and talk down to people, :tool: and a troll.

My apologies to the thread-starter for this way off-topic tangent.