PDA

View Full Version : PSU: 20 to 24 Pin Adapters

Blacklash
08-21-05, 09:32 PM
My Enermax PSU has a native 20 pin plug and I had been using a 24 pin adapter with no problem in the past. The PSU has a 36A 12v rail. Thing is the adapter may be causing too much resistance because the readings are way too low underload.

Anywho I am not using SLi until my new PSU arrives. I was posting this as a warning, especially if you are using SLi. I'd say skip the adapters and just get the proper PSU, particularly when going from 20 pin to 24 on a PCI-e mobo. Check your voltages underload if you are indeed using one of these adapters.

nas82
08-21-05, 09:50 PM
You're reading your voltages from software, aren't you? Your PSU is fine, since you are using a PC P&C PSU.

Use a multimeter to see if your unit is feeding your system the proper voltages.

Blacklash
08-21-05, 09:52 PM
You're reading your voltages from software, aren't you? Your PSU is fine, since you are using a PC P&C PSU.

Use a multimeter to see if your unit is feeding your system the proper voltages.

Sorry about that. My old PSU I am speaking about is an Enermax. The PC P&C SLi will be replacing it, and I am sure it will be fine. It is native 24 pin. I updated my sig and the new PSU should be around in a few days. For now I removed one 7800 GT from my rig.

For some reason DFI warns folks very vocally about using 20 to 24 pin adapters on their PCI-e mobos. I think what I am doing is best even if I might get by with the Enermax. It isn't worth it to risk all this gear.

Dr.Nick
08-23-05, 08:44 AM
I've been using an adapter and all is well even with SLI(12v is about 11.71v under full load with both cards). But you're correct; one should not play around with power, especially with expensive hardware. I think you made the right decision:)