Special Edition Also Includes:

* The official making of QUAKE 4

* QUAKE 2

* QUAKE 2 Expansion Packs: Reckoning and Ground Zero

* Battle outdoors using tanks and walkers

* Fight with the support of an elite squad

* Compete online in fast action arena-style multiplayer

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B646312A

Wow, they are gonna include Quake 2 and the expantion paks! I have to say that it seems Valve started a trend. Is a nice option as I never played the expantions of Quake2.

Subtestube
08-21-05, 11:39 PM
What the hell? Release date of 11th of October? That can't be right... I mean, I hope it is... but it can't be. And yeah, Q2 with the expansions'll be awesome. Considering how many times I played Q2 through, and never any expansions (I didn't actually know they existed), that might actually make buying the collectors edition worthwhile.

GlowStick
08-22-05, 12:30 AM
Maybe if we all think good thoughts about the release date, it will come true :D

GamerGuyX
08-22-05, 12:50 AM
Maybe if we all think good thoughts about the release date, it will come true :D

I got a feeling that is or close to the real release date. I mean Quake 4 is suppose to be an Xbox 360 launch title and the 360 is coming out no later than November from what I hear.

GlowStick
08-22-05, 01:01 AM
Mmm, from what has been shown of it so far, I agree, i woudlnt be surpzied if Quake 4 was ready to ship today. However, it wont ship untill Xbox360 is ready, and i feel that will be the holdup. However, id love to be wrong and see Quake 4 PC ship before xbox :D

jAkUp
08-22-05, 01:34 AM
Yes quake4 was in playable form at quakecon, and looks very polished... I wouldnt be suprised if we hear it going gold mid September :D

MrSavoy
08-22-05, 08:54 AM
WOOT!!!!!!!!!! :D :jumping:

Zelda_fan
08-22-05, 01:18 PM
I have actually never played Quake II, so I may buy this collector's edition.

RAY16
08-22-05, 01:41 PM
I'll be getting the Special Edition just because it's going to be on DVD (normal edition = multiple CD's). I hate multi-CD installs. This extra stuff just makes it even sweeter.

Ninjaman09
08-22-05, 01:52 PM
I don't get why you're all on about Quake 4 releasing simultaneously for PC and X-Box. I have yet to see an official statement that says they will do that. Simultaneous platform releases are not common especially amongst games of this sort.

edit: Oops, nevermind, just read that Carmack said they'd release simultaneously, and even hinted that the console version might release shortly BEFORE the PC one! :mad:

And yeah I'm getting this one.

Mr. Hunt
08-22-05, 02:20 PM
Ah crap... I already have Q2 and stuff but I HATE having to buy a special edition with crap I already own/don't want (like the HL2 stuff) just to get it on DVD... makes them think they should do it more often.

I want DVD but yet I don't want to have to buy a bunch of useless stuff just to not get screwed over on 10 CD installs.

Gabrobot
08-22-05, 02:21 PM
Actually from what I can tell, the PC version is being released a couple weeks before the Xbox 360 version (October 11 as opposed to early November). Also, Quake 4 is in beta development stage, which means the game is basically finished and they're just polishing it up and working out a few last things. :)

And as for the special edition, the expansion packs alone make the extra $10 worth it. :D

GlowStick
08-22-05, 04:22 PM
Hm, i have doubts that Activison will allow Quake 4 PC to bereleased before Xbox360, it probly comes with the pact they singed with Microsoft to be a 'launch partner'. They are receveing alot of free advertizing and has to pay for it some time.

So the big question is, who is controling the release after its done, iD or Activison? My bet will be its activision since its not a in house iD game.

Gabrobot
08-23-05, 12:14 AM
Hm, i have doubts that Activison will allow Quake 4 PC to bereleased before Xbox360, it probly comes with the pact they singed with Microsoft to be a 'launch partner'. They are receveing alot of free advertizing and has to pay for it some time.

So the big question is, who is controling the release after its done, iD or Activison? My bet will be its activision since its not a in house iD game.

Since id owns the rights, I'd say id can probably do whatever they want (and if Activision is smart, they'll go along with it ;) ).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I read from one of the developers that they aren't actually making any guarantees about the game being a launch title, so I don't think they have any deals that would dictate what they do. id Software prefers to what they want, which generally means making sure the developers are allowed to get the game done properly.

GlowStick
08-23-05, 04:20 PM
Since id owns the rights, I'd say id can probably do whatever they want (and if Activision is smart, they'll go along with it ;) ).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I read from one of the developers that they aren't actually making any guarantees about the game being a launch title, so I don't think they have any deals that would dictate what they do. id Software prefers to what they want, which generally means making sure the developers are allowed to get the game done properly.
Mmm, i hope your right!

gmontem
08-23-05, 04:38 PM
Aw nuts. It would have been pretty cool if the XBox 360 version also came with its own port of Quake 2 and the expansion packs.

aAv7
08-23-05, 06:07 PM
i'll get it simply for the dvd version =D

j0j081
08-23-05, 09:42 PM
I'll definitely be getting the Special Edition. I love my limited edition UT2K4 case.

GlowStick
08-23-05, 10:24 PM
Some online stores are offering to Pre-Order. Do you know if you get the T-shirt now or later? heh!?

aAv7
08-24-05, 09:47 AM
Some online stores are offering to Pre-Order. Do you know if you get the T-shirt now or later? heh!?

I was wondering the same thing, im such a sucker for pc gaming tee shirts :D

j0j081
08-24-05, 09:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing, im such a sucker for pc gaming tee shirts :D
Yep I'm wearing my HL2 shirt right now. It works great for picking up chicks at the mall. :cool:

NAZCA M12
08-24-05, 11:13 PM
Yep I'm wearing my HL2 shirt right now. It works great for picking up chicks at the mall. :cool:

Nice. However, do you have to log in to Steam before wearing it? :p

Back to the point, i think Q4:SE will fill up the second empty slot of special editions for the forseeable future, so it will be F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 then :D

CaptNKILL
08-24-05, 11:32 PM
Nice. However, do you have to log in to Steam before wearing it? :p

Heh, that was pretty good :D

Oh, and getting Quake 2 with this is an awesome deal... I still have the entire Quake 2: Quad Damage pack with the full game, both expansions and the extremeties net pack (mods, patches, utilities etc.). Freaking awesome game for its time and its still fun to start up once in a while...

You'd be surprised how nice it looks at 2048x1536 with lots of AA and AF :D

Subtestube
08-24-05, 11:44 PM
Heh, that was pretty good :D

Oh, and getting Quake 2 with this is an awesome deal... I still have the entire Quake 2: Quad Damage pack with the full game, both expansions and the extremeties net pack (mods, patches, utilities etc.). Freaking awesome game for its time and its still fun to start up once in a while...

You'd be surprised how nice it looks at 2048x1536 with lots of AA and AF :D

Here's a question for you: How are the expansions? I never played either of them. Do they have good single player? God... seriously, I've played QII all the way through many many times, and I never even knew there WERE expansions. This collectors editions really does sound very worth it.

CaptNKILL
08-25-05, 12:29 AM
Here's a question for you: How are the expansions? I never played either of them. Do they have good single player? God... seriously, I've played QII all the way through many many times, and I never even knew there WERE expansions. This collectors editions really does sound very worth it.
Ive only played them a little bit, but from what I remember they were really cool. The new weapons are pretty sweet and the overall gameplay is the same, just a bit more interactive I think. I'll probably have to install them and try em out again soon :p