PDA

View Full Version : MSI 6800GT Will Not Install

Negligence
08-22-05, 12:51 PM
I recently purchased an MSI 6800GT 256mb AGP (specs here (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=NX6800GT-TD256&class=vga)). After uninstalling the drivers from my 6600GT, swapping cards, and returning to install the new drivers, I was greeted with a blue screen of failure stating that my computer encountered an error and was being shutdown, and that I should swap video adapters. It did this both for the general nvidia drivers, and MSI-specific drivers about halfway through the installation.

Additionally, after I swapped in the 6800GT, I was seeing blotches of green dots all over the screen (quite concentrated). These did not dissapear. I tried fiddling with BIOS settings, running Driver Cleaner, re-seating the card, and so forth with no results.

Here are my specs:

P4 2.6ghz
ASUS P4P800 (AGP 8x)
MSI 6800GT 256mb AGP
Windows XP (SP2)
550W Power Supply

If you could please give me some suggestions or possible fixes, that would be great. It might be that the card is defective, but its been suggested to me that its my motherboard.

Thoughts?

Toss3
08-22-05, 01:20 PM
I recently purchased an MSI 6800GT 256mb AGP (specs here (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=NX6800GT-TD256&class=vga)). After uninstalling the drivers from my 6600GT, swapping cards, and returning to install the new drivers, I was greeted with a blue screen of failure stating that my computer encountered an error and was being shutdown, and that I should swap video adapters. It did this both for the general nvidia drivers, and MSI-specific drivers about halfway through the installation.

Additionally, after I swapped in the 6800GT, I was seeing blotches of green dots all over the screen (quite concentrated). These did not dissapear. I tried fiddling with BIOS settings, running Driver Cleaner, re-seating the card, and so forth with no results.

Here are my specs:

P4 2.6ghz
ASUS P4P800 (AGP 8x)
MSI 6800GT 256mb AGP
Windows XP (SP2)
550W Power Supply

If you could please give me some suggestions or possible fixes, that would be great. It might be that the card is defective, but its been suggested to me that its my motherboard.

Thoughts?

I don't really see how it could be a motherboard problem, since your 6600gt worked?

So I'd say try resetting your CMOS! And try different cables and stuff, anything might be the culprit! But I'm almost sure that if you've installed everything correctly, that it is your card that is broken and that you should rma it!

Hope this helps! And I hope it isn't your card that is broken(I've read that RMA can take very loooong)! :)

NightFire
08-22-05, 03:13 PM
Before you RMA, and if you've got another computer to use, try putting the 6800GT in there, just to verify if its actually broken, or if its just a system specific issue.

subbo
08-22-05, 08:14 PM
Dont forget to plug in the power ;) Also use a dedicated rail, as in nothing else on that pair of molexes coming from the PSU.