PDA

View Full Version : Aopen GF6800GT Stuttering 50fps-20-50fps please help

CrimsonCleaver
08-22-05, 01:55 PM
Hi my friend has a problem with his new Aopen Aeeolus 6800 GT and Battlefield 2 and World of Warcraft.

This is what happens:

World of Warcraft runs fine for around 2 minutes, then framerates periodically (every 3 seconds) drop down to 20fps from 60fps and back up again. So when facing a wall for example for 2 minutes the game runs at a steady 60fps, after 2 minutes this happens.
20fps, 3 seconds later, 60fps, 3 seconds later 20fps and so on. NOTHING is going on in the background in terms of the game to cause this.

Battlefield 2 just completely runs crap, 2 seconds of good speed then 2 of bad. Seems so strange as it isn't dependant on what's on the screen.

I have the bare MINIMAL services running on this PC. No Antivirus/Autoupdates etc etc.

I have tried turning off Fast Writes, Defragging, Reformatting, Lower settings, PCI Latency control, updating the motherboard BIOS, latest chipset drivers, latest Nvidia drivers/Aopen drivers.

NOTHING has worked so far.

This is my friend's PC by the way and I really want it solved as I encouraged the purchase of this card and extra 512mb ram.
Here are the full system specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz
Geforce 6800 GT Aopen 256mb
FujitsuSiemens CORDANT PC with D1625-C motherboard.
80GB IDE HD

Toss3
08-22-05, 02:00 PM
Try pressing ctrl+alt+del while in-game to see which of your processes is taking up extra ram or cpu perfomance!

You could also try turning off "index service" from control panel -> administrative tools -> services !

Hope this helps :)

Edit: Oops a swedish "från" slipped :D

CrimsonCleaver
08-22-05, 02:07 PM
Only 15 processes, sorry should have mentioned that I have done this.
Also indexing service is off.

This seems such a strange problem, especially with WoW when it takes a while to occur.

Thanks for the suggestion, are there any others?

Toss3
08-22-05, 02:10 PM
Only 15 processes, sorry should have mentioned that I have done this.
Also indexing service is off.

This seems such a strange problem, especially with WoW when it takes a while to occur.

Thanks for the suggestion, are there any others?
How about v-sync, AA, AF, resolution etc. But it really sounds like it would be halving the fps somehow :-S and how about your display? Try a different cable and try upping the Hz!

CrimsonCleaver
08-22-05, 03:36 PM
Display is fine on another PC so can't be that.

Tried 60, 70, 75, 85 and 100hz no difference. It's really frustrating, my mate has left his PC at mine to sought out, but I really need some help on this one, been through everything I can think of really.

angshuman
08-22-05, 09:16 PM
That's crazy! I guess you could start playing the elimination game now: Get another video card, see if that solves the problem... if not, move onto another component, and so on...

By the way, what kind of power supply is your friend using?

CrimsonCleaver
08-23-05, 03:05 AM
Yep, thinking it's buggy.
I put my 450w in there after he had only a 300w, made no change.

CrimsonCleaver
08-23-05, 08:41 AM
Well contacting either Savastore or Aopen can only be done through email (something I think should not be allowed).

So far Savastore haven't replied.
An aopen tech suggested that the problem could be due to temperature?
I told him that the card never goes above 65c, and ambient never rises above 50c, also no other components seem to be having heat issues so it can't be that.

Anyone got any other ideas as it seems like it's going to take a while for these two companies to get a return/replacement going.

Thanks guys

KingboyA
08-23-05, 10:39 AM
How much RAM has the computer got? BF2 sucks loads up.....

CrimsonCleaver
08-23-05, 11:11 AM
He has 1GB of PC3200 DDR400

Problem is, Battlefield 2 isn't the only game this happens with, World of Warcraft does as well.

Please bare in mind that it just isn't in anyway related to what's going on screen, games run fine for a minute or so, then this fluctuating of frames per seconds happens. It really seems like a faulty GPU.

For example in World Of Warcraft I can go through a graphically intensive sequence such as running through Orgrimmar with 100s of players around. Then when I run out of the city and just face a wall and wait there, the fluctuating will occur. It just seems to occur after 90 seconds or so no matter what is going on.

Aopen's technical support system is not the nicest to deal with either. I have to wait for them to reply via email, same goes for Savastore, so this could take a whole week before they decide to agree that it is faulty.

After I have tried 10 different drivers now it doesn't seem driver-related. Nor does it seem Ram related (tried 256, 512 and 1GB, all get the same fluctuating, just the lower ram performs slower before the fluctuating starts).

I must admit I am at my wit's end and can only think that the card must have some fault somewhere. I read on an Aopen forum that someone with a 6600GT (not 6800GT I know) had the same problem and could only solve it by changing it for an MSI. So it looks like Aopen aren't the best.

If anyone still has anything to suggest, it is appreciated, as waiting around for email replies is getting frustrating.

Thanks all.

KingboyA
08-23-05, 11:44 AM
What is the operating temperature of the gpu, ambient temperature and also room temperature? It might be that these games are causing the biggest drain on the card and it is possibly getting how, maybe too hot.

Tony

CrimsonCleaver
08-23-05, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The GPU temperature when idle is 50c, and 65c when under load.
Ambient is 36c when idle and 44c when under load.

I don't know the room temperature.

There is another PC in this room, being my PC (the problem card is on my mate's PC). My PC has these specs:
Athlon 64 FX 55
Geforce 6800 Ultras 256mb x2 in SLi
2GB of PC3200 DDR 400 Ram
Dual Raptors 75GB 10,000rpm HD in RAID 0
Audigy 4 with T7900 speakers

My PC is quite high powered and has no problems with temperature in the room (only ever hits 65c on the GPU's) so I doubt the room temperature is a problem.

I can't see temperature being an issue here as 68c GPU core and 44c ambient is not very high. The 6800GT AGP should be able to take this kind of temperature quite easily.

Do you have any other ideas?

Toss3
08-23-05, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The GPU temperature when idle is 50c, and 65c when under load.
Ambient is 36c when idle and 44c when under load.

I don't know the room temperature.

There is another PC in this room, being my PC (the problem card is on my mate's PC). My PC has these specs:
Athlon 64 FX 55
Geforce 6800 Ultras 256mb x2 in SLi
2GB of PC3200 DDR 400 Ram
Dual Raptors 75GB 10,000rpm HD in RAID 0
Audigy 4 with T7900 speakers

My PC is quite high powered and has no problems with temperature in the room (only ever hits 65c on the GPU's) so I doubt the room temperature is a problem.

I can't see temperature being an issue here as 68c GPU core and 44c ambient is not very high. The 6800GT AGP should be able to take this kind of temperature quite easily.

Do you have any other ideas?

I don't think it sounds like the card would be faulty, it sounds more of a OS settings issue..
Try closing all other unnecessary processes, even virus protection, and see what happens! You could also try setting agp aperture to 256mb or even more. Are you sure the card isn't having any conflict issues?
The mobo could also be the culprit, so try different settings and timings in the BIOS. And try turning Index Serv. on!
I had a similar problem before with games and it turned out to be my virus protection that caused the game to slow down every two seconds! So try reinstalling norton or whatever protection he uses(close it from task manager, completely!) ! :)

Hope you'll solve the problem soon...

CrimsonCleaver
08-23-05, 03:10 PM
I don't think it sounds like the card would be faulty, it sounds more of a OS settings issue..
Try closing all other unnecessary processes, even virus protection, and see what happens! You could also try setting agp aperture to 256mb or even more. Are you sure the card isn't having any conflict issues?
The mobo could also be the culprit, so try different settings and timings in the BIOS. And try turning Index Serv. on!
I had a similar problem before with games and it turned out to be my virus protection that caused the game to slow down every two seconds! So try reinstalling norton or whatever protection he uses(close it from task manager, completely!) ! :)

Hope you'll solve the problem soon...

All processes that are possible to be stopped are stopped, using Startup control panel and the Services program with XP. There are only 14 running in the background of both my old PC and my mate's PC (using XP professional)

I have already set AGP Aperture to 256mb and there's no change between 128mb.

I have completely reformatted the PC so no Norton left, also tried putting it back on and there's no change. Defragmenting already done also.

Index Service On/Off makes no change :(

I have tested the card also on my old PC and the problem occurs in the same way but the stuttering is more severe (probably due to my old PC having far lower specs), it locks up the game totally for 2 seconds before 4 seconds of normal play then locks up again etc. Really seems like a fault with the card.

I can't see what OS settings would cause this problem, but if you have any other suggestions please fire away as I can see a response from Savastore being slow... :(

My friend's BIOS is extremely limited, only SMART Hardware On/OFF, AGP Apeture, and pephirial settings (enabling/disabling components) is available. There are no timings, clock settings or anything to change :(

Posted this problem on the Aopen forums and they suggest I return the card, problem is waiting for Savastore to reply, so in the meantime please keep suggesting things as you never know.

Thanks again

smthmlk.
08-23-05, 03:18 PM
Ok, you have your pc sitting there in the same room ... have you thrown in your 6800Ultra? What version of the nvidia drivers are you using? Time to start swapping, man :)

CrimsonCleaver
08-23-05, 05:10 PM
Ultras in SLi (2 Geforce 6800 256mb Ultras on a SLi PCI express motherboard connected with SLi connecter) - so they're PCI express cards, won't fit on an AGP motherboard sadly.

Have put my Geforce ti4200 128mb from my old PC in his PC and that worked fine (of course works slower, but none of this stuttering).

Please bear in mind that my new PC with the Ultras really can't be used for any testing due to the PCI express motherboard. BUT I do have an old:
Athlon 1.4ghz
A7A266 Asus Mobo
Geforce ti4200 128mb

This PC I have tried my mate's 6800GT in and it has the same stuttering but far more severe, causes locks ups rather than just slowdowns (I assume this is due to this old PC being less powerful and not having the CPU to handle it).

So the card has been tried in 2 different PC's and has the same problem in both, sounds faulty doesn't it?

Toss3
08-25-05, 12:38 AM
I'd say RMA time! :rolleyes:

kevinti
08-25-05, 02:30 AM
Uninstall your Nvdia drivers and reinstall them. This would surely resolve the problem and if not, it would allow you to trouble shoot systematically from a freshly installed driver to iron out the possble causes. :)

p0werful1
08-26-05, 04:21 AM
there is simular discussion here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=147647

I have a Galaxy 6800GT, it happens to me too in BF2, maybe not as serious. I am still trying to work it out. Seems to me that two things are irrelevant for this issue:
1.Ram: i have 2 Gig, it doesn't help;
2.forceware version: all the same problem.

WimpMiester
08-27-05, 01:34 AM
Stutter Observation:

First off my system originally had an AGP 4x Ti 4200 128MB card and it worked perfectly until driver 61.76 then I got the stutter problem. I eventually upgraded to a PNY 6800GT AGP and have had the stutter problem with every driver release until recently. I've tried everything, even changing the PCI latency which helped hide it but not get rid of it. Then recently because of the summer heat I replaced my stock heat sink with the EVGA copper sink. About that same time NVIDIA released a new driver so I'm not sure if it was the newer driver or the heat sink but I haven't had the stutter show up since I replaced it. I don’t O/C my card but my GPU temps went from over 120 to now no higher than 80, which is great because I don't have air-conditioning and my room can get well over 90. So I'm thinking that starting with driver 61.76 the card might be throwing out erroneous temps at boot that cause the driver to respond in a way that causes the stutter. Or something in the drivers changed in the last few released that fixed the problem for me and I just got lucky.

K0P
09-03-05, 10:03 AM
Crimson, I'm having the EXACT same problem.

My wife and I both play WoW. She has an AMD 2400+, 1GB PC2100 RAM, and a Radeon 9700 Pro. I have a P4 3.0, 1GB PC2700, and the infamous 6800 GT (PNY). I also play BF2 and get crap FPS though I don't remember getting them when I first got the game. I loaded FRAPS and measured our FPS. In WoW she would get a constant 70-80 FPS regardless of what we were doing. Big battles it would lower to mid 40s. On my system I would absolutely tank after about 2 minutes. FPS would fluctuate down then back up, but would never recover to a point that was satisfying. It would usually settle in the 25-35 FPS range. Completely unacceptable for this card.

Finally I switched cards just to eliminate my system. Sure enough, her FPS would be crap with my card in her system. Using her Radeon 9700 Pro, I would get 85 FPS consistently.

I'm taking the card back today. I've had it for 11 months. I paid for the 1 year replacement and dammit I taking advantage of it. I know the card hasn't done this the entire time I've had it. It's a recent issue. It's made me believe that the cards just going bad. It makes no sense.