PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX throttling with no fan connected?

Jexx
08-22-05, 05:03 PM
I've been seeing this posted all over, but Im not sure if its ever been confirmed and/or officially solved.

Alot of people claim if you run aftermarket cooling on your 7800GTX and don't have the stock fan hooked up, the card will throttle itself down thinking the fan is running at 0 RMP and thus malfunctioning.

I have a XFX 7800GTX, and I would like to do some OC'ing on it. However my temps are already higher than I would like (full load range from 81-85), and before I go any higher I want some aftermarket cooling. Except if my card throttles down with the stock fan unhooked then it really doesn't do me any good to OC it

So does anyone know a fix for this, is there a BIOS or driver update that fixes it, keeping in mind I will need to monitor temps, so using the fix that disables temp monitoring is no good...or has it even been officially confirmed the card throttles down with no fan connected??

Addy
08-22-05, 09:49 PM
Current drivers resolve the cold bug...

/whisper search is your friend /whisper

Thumper58
08-22-05, 10:12 PM
:inform: :inform: :inform: Jexx,

Take a look at the troubles that I ran into using the Zalman VF-700.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55227

These issues are resolved in the lastest driver release.

Kevin

Jexx
08-22-05, 10:29 PM
Current drivers resolve the cold bug...

/whisper search is your friend /whisper

This is not the cold bug I am referring too. The cold bug is when your card drops below 35C it throttles down.

I am referring to the issue where you unhook the stock fan and the card throttles down because it reads the RPM as being 0, not below 35C.

I see nothing of this problem being resolved in the latest driver release (77.77), and Im wondering if anyone has this problem or if its just rumors that were started because of the cold bug?

Dr.Nick
08-22-05, 11:30 PM
I'm running a Zalman with no issues and it does not downclock if you dont have the stock fan connected ;)

Addy
08-23-05, 12:52 AM
and Im wondering if anyone has this problem or if its just rumors that were started because of the cold bug?

Yeah I think this is the case. My impression looking back is that people 1st thought it was a problem of not having the fan plugged in before the cold bug was diagnosed so to speak.

Iím running a Zalman as well, with the GTX fan unplugged and saw the cold bug with the 77.76ís and itís resolved with the 77.77ís

Jexx
08-23-05, 10:04 AM
Well that makes me feel better then, I can't wait to OC this card and see what it can do ;)