PDA

View Full Version : SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality FPS Review

AthlonXP1800
08-22-05, 09:44 PM
http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/246/

I am surprise to see the first review of SoundBlaster X-Fi from Guru3D. Look like X-Fi is coming very soon, it seem to be still use PCI slot. Cant wait to get one to replace my Audigy card. :D

Interesting, I noticed the X-Fi already has Doom 3 update for the card, I assume it the EAX 5.0 update. :D

crainger
08-22-05, 09:52 PM
Me either. I have a feeling they are gonna be pretty sweet. The Fatal1ty seems to be the way to go

$n][pErMan
08-22-05, 10:20 PM
$279.99 ?!?!?! No way in hell im paying that for a sound card even though it will probably rock. Untill that comes down in price ... my Audigy 2 will sufice! :( Seeing as I have 5.1 Surround... I dont think I will notice to much for the price. Maybe OEM it will be cheaper tho... id pay $200.

GlowStick
08-22-05, 10:28 PM
Hm, i still want, but may have to go dual core first!

marqmajere
08-22-05, 11:01 PM
I want Soundstorm back!!! :mad:

CaptNKILL
08-22-05, 11:09 PM
These reviews are sounding pretty lame for the high price tag. How exactly is a $300 sound card worth the money if they admit that "if you have an Audigy 2 or better already, dont bother"??? You can get an Audigy 2 for under $50, there damn well better be some significant improvement to justify the $250 price difference. I know, it has ram, and it had a lot of transistors, but if im playing a game with graphics settings that bottleneck my video card, is any of that going to matter even the slightest bit?

This thing sounds like a major rip off to me... I'll wait for more reviews before saying it is for sure, but its not looking good at all in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, its probably better than any other soundcard out there (unless you want digital encoding of course :rolleyes: ), but the real world performance difference is probably totaly unnoticeable in games, and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot new as far as features and quality. Deffinitely not enough to justify such a heft price tag.

SH64
08-23-05, 05:56 AM
Nice! it didnt bring any framerate enhancments in games , but the other features makes up for it IMO.
i agree though its still way pricey in comparsion to the SB A2-Zs which is putting a decent performance & sound quality in all games.

Bad_Boy
08-23-05, 08:28 AM
nice review, and a very nice card, but at almost 300 for the sound card, ill be waiting.

shan2
08-23-05, 08:30 AM
Oh, thank goodness. I'm sick of the static on my ASUS SLI Premium MB.

ViN86
08-23-05, 11:28 AM
ill be pickin up one of these bad boys as soon as their price drops some.

what a sweet card. i loved the hardware mp3 decoding, that removes all strain whatsoever from the cpu. thats awesome.

Spyke
08-23-05, 12:16 PM
I don't know about you but mp3 decoding uses basically no cpu whatsoever on new cpu's.

J-Mag
08-23-05, 12:34 PM
I don't know about you but mp3 decoding uses basically no cpu whatsoever on new cpu's.

Seriously my 233mhz PDA can decode MP3s for crying out loud.

However I don't think it can do 128 simultaneous voices with effects... All I know is I Creative was smart to buddy up with DICE or EA when they got them to get on board with this whole X-Fi thing. BF2 is the only game I play right now and anything I can do to get an edge I will. The marketing guys know their are tons of Game players in their twenties with disposable income.

I am thinking $7 for a share of CREAF is looking good now. All the money they spent investing in the X-Fi's development should come to fruition.

$n][pErMan
08-23-05, 08:34 PM
The marketing guys know their are tons of Game players in their twenties with disposable income.
Hehe... Must be nice... Between college.. my car .. food ... rent ... cable.. and a bunch of other stuff.. I barely have enough for my computer anymore! :p