PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans heat solution, POST YOUR OWN

bugmage
08-23-05, 10:02 AM
I have a xfx 6600 gt overclocked in a aspire case with that nice aspire PS blowing right down onto the card :thumbdwn:

running temps hit around 80 (normal operating temp 4 that version) after i changed the thermal gel on the card it stayed about the same
Heres the fun part
took 1 pci blower ($3-15

choped it up and also choped up a metal pci plate to fit the pci fan

end result a inverted pci blower that blows in and by the card

End result

10*C drop in card temps now it wont go over 70 at 578ghz 1.2ghz

:afro2:

feel free to post any ideas you guys have for cheap cooling

saturnotaku
08-23-05, 12:32 PM
feel free to post any ideas you guys have for cheap cooling

Make sure your case cabling/wiring is not obstructing airflow. A dollar or two invested in cable ties, plus up to 30 minutes of your time does wonders.

SH64
08-23-05, 01:07 PM
The Vantec Spectrum Fan card can do wonders if used properly :thumbsup:

anzak
08-23-05, 04:59 PM
The Vantec Spectrum Fan card can do wonders if used properly :thumbsup:

Yep. I've got one of these laying around. Keep in mind its only useful when the fans are blowing on an exposed heatsink. If the air is hitting a plastic or metal cover it normally increases the temprature. The Vantec Fan Card does wonders on cards that are passivly cooled with large heatsinks. A friend of mine has his Radeon 9600 (300/250) overclocked to 475/300 thanks to this card.

ricercar
08-23-05, 06:55 PM
feel free to post any ideas you guys have for cheap coolingThe Zalman PCI bracket with slow 92mm fan (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118204) is the cheapest, most effective, and most simple installing video cooler on the market. Cools both sides of your video card, GPU and RAMs, for under $10 USD.

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/35-118-204-04.JPG

Make sure your case cabling/wiring is not obstructing airflow. A dollar or two invested in cable ties, plus up to 30 minutes of your time does wonders.
:werd: