PDA

View Full Version : Does the D3 engine have a "special name"?

Parts
08-23-05, 01:40 PM
Or is it just "The Doom 3 Engine" because that was the first game made with it?

Like, HL2 and CS:S were on the "Source" engine, but the first game made with Source wasnt CALLED "Source" or anything.

And Chronicles of Riddick was on the Starbreeze Engine right? since thats who developed it? or was that something else too?

Whats the FEAR Engine called since its new too? "The Fear Engine"?

and Unreal Engine makes sense since it really is an UNREAL engine, so that doesn't bother me if games are called "Unreal" since they usually are

I dunno, this post is probably useless, but I always wondered why it never had its own special name and was always just called "Doom 3 engine", haha.

Thats all!

|MaguS|
08-23-05, 01:45 PM
It's just the Doom 3 Engine. As for FEAR, I consider it the nextgen Lithtech Engine (First was NOLF and Second was NOLF2) since its made by Monolith and well I would think they would use it for NOLF3 if they were to ever make it.

Ninjaman09
08-23-05, 01:53 PM
All of id software's engines have been named after the game they were developed for; i.e., the Doom engine, the Quake engine, the Quake 3 engine, etc.

Mr. Hunt
08-23-05, 03:11 PM
It's just the Doom 3 Engine. As for FEAR, I consider it the nextgen Lithtech Engine (First was NOLF and Second was NOLF2) since its made by Monolith and well I would think they would use it for NOLF3 if they were to ever make it.

STOP IT! Now I am all thinking about how freaking awesome NOLF 3 would be :(... I HATE YOU!

|MaguS|
08-23-05, 03:15 PM
Yeah could you imagine how awsome NOLF 3 would look using a tweaked FEAR Engine...

j0j081
08-23-05, 09:40 PM
Yeah could you imagine how awsome NOLF 3 would look using a tweaked FEAR Engine...
I forgot about NOLF before reading this thread but now I feel like busting it out again. I hope it works on 64 bit XP. NOFL3 would make a great next gen game imo.

GlowStick
08-24-05, 05:05 PM
Hm, I think iD uses the phrase 'Built on Doom 3 Technology' insted of engine now.

madmossy
08-27-05, 05:23 AM
The engine used for FEAR does have a name btw ;p

It's called "Jupiter"

superklye
08-27-05, 09:47 AM
Wasn't Blood 2 the first LithTech Engine game?

CaptNKILL
08-27-05, 11:51 AM
I think Shogo was... and thats going waaay back.

|MaguS|
08-27-05, 12:20 PM

Never ment it as NOLF was the first game to use it but rather that the game used the first version of the engine.

superklye
08-27-05, 12:25 PM
I think Shogo was... and thats going waaay back.
I LOVE THAT GAME! I still have it in fact. But I thought Shogo came out after Blood 2. It doesn't really matter I guess, both games came out near the same time and both were awesome.

Never ment it as NOLF was the first game to use it but rather that the game used the first version of the engine.
ah, okay.

Ninjaman09
08-27-05, 01:57 PM
Shogo was so badass. :D

msxyz
09-01-05, 01:01 PM
STOP IT! Now I am all thinking about how freaking awesome NOLF 3 would be :(... I HATE YOU!Yeah, after having played the FEAR Single Player Demo I wish Monolith had focused their efforts on a new NOLF game. :(

Their new engine is really stunning and not particulary heavy even on old PCs (like mine). It's also very scalable. But FEAR left me quite unimpressed. It's just another shooter in a crowded arena.

NOLF really stood out as something different .

On topic, I think this is the fourth engine from Monolith

Their first engine was used for Blood 2 and Shogo. It was simply called "Litech engine". It was also very scalabe: I recall having seen Blood 2 running on a Virge! (And those who remember the Virge should know that this is quite an accomplishment) Originally the Litech engine was developed on behalf of... Mircosoft! Microsoft wanted to include into DirectX6 a versatile 3D engine readily available off-the shelves with Windows to offload game designers from the burden of programming. At the end Microsoft didn't pursue this plan anymore and Monolith kept all the rights.

Monolith engine releases are given astronomical names. Their second installment was used for games like the first NOLF and Aiken's Artifact.

The third revision of the engine was used for Nolf2.

FEAR runs on the fourth generation.

jAkUp
09-10-05, 03:28 PM
The engine used for FEAR does have a name btw ;p

It's called "Jupiter"

I didn't know that.... Is Jupiter open for licensing also?

msxyz
09-11-05, 01:56 AM
Yep there's a page on Monolith site with licensing costs.

Subtestube
09-11-05, 02:10 AM
All stuff relating to liscencing Jupiter is right here (http://www.touchdownentertainment.com/home.htm).

|MaguS|
09-22-05, 12:31 PM
Ok, Just read something interesting, Monolith did not name the F.E.A.R. Engine, Touchdown Entertainment did since they have the rights to distribute the Engine but did not create it. Monolith calls the engine nothing more then the F.E.A.R. Engine.

Taken from the IGN Interview:

IGNPC: Monolith has been using internal, proprietary engines and development tools for a quite a while now. With FEAR, you're introducing a new version of the package, Jupiter EX. Do you prefer working with and experimenting with a brand-new engine and supporting tools, rather than working within the known limits of previously established technology?

Craig Hubbard: Well, for the sake of clarification, the technology that Monolith created for FEAR is apparently being called Jupiter EX by Touchdown Entertainment, which has rights to license it. We don't call it that and aren't involved in anything related to technology licensing. To us, FEAR is FEAR. We built the tech for our games and someone else is selling it to other developers.