PDA

View Full Version : DS Rumble Pack!!

Zelda_fan
08-24-05, 11:07 AM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/644/644175p1.html

haha this is sweet. Plugs into the GBA slot.

aAv7
08-24-05, 11:20 AM
thats pretty sweet. looks like their doing everything they can to mimmick the n64. I'll have to pick this up when it arrives.

|MaguS|
08-24-05, 12:49 PM
Wont that make using the touch screen really difficult? Especially on games that require accurate control...

Zelda_fan
08-24-05, 01:12 PM
Wont that make using the touch screen really difficult? Especially on games that require accurate control...

hehe you just answered your own question. The devs probably won't use it for games that require precise touch controls. But for a game like mario kart this would be sweet.

|MaguS|
08-24-05, 01:17 PM
Well it will make any game difficult to control if the vibration is too much and sorry but I don't see that as "good". If its suppose to add to immersion by making the controls more difficult then they fail horribly.

Ninjaman09
08-24-05, 01:31 PM
Well it will make any game difficult to control if the vibration is too much and sorry but I don't see that as "good". If its suppose to add to immersion by making the controls more difficult then they fail horribly.
What's your problem? You wouldn't know that for a fact. Wait until it comes out and try it before you knock it. Like jonk said it will obviously not be used in games that require precise control on the touchscreen. It certainly would not cause any games that only use the buttons to be difficult. If it did you'd have to say the same thing about console controllers as well (they vibrate too, remember?).

|MaguS|
08-24-05, 01:35 PM
My problem is a system that is said to be built around touch screen technology is basically adding something to the unit that would either make it extremly hard to play or just not implemented in games that prefer the rumble feature.

Its not an issue with console controllers because the vibration does not detract for the controllers or consoles primary draw/function.

Ninjaman09
08-24-05, 01:42 PM
My problem is a system that is said to be built around touch screen technology is basically adding something to the unit that would either make it extremly hard to play or just not implemented in games that prefer the rumble feature.

Its not an issue with console controllers because the vibration does not detract for the controllers or consoles primary draw/function.
Again, you wouldn't know unless you tried it. There's no way you can sit here and tell us that a game designed to take advantage of a rumble feature would be difficult to control well without either playing it firsthand or reading some kind of review about it.

If a game implemented the rumble feature yet did not use the touch screen for precision control, there would be no more of an impact on gameplay than a console controller with a rumble feature.

|MaguS|
08-24-05, 01:47 PM
If a game implemented the rumble feature yet did not use the touch screen for precision control, there would be no more of an impact on gameplay than a console controller with a rumble feature.

True but isn't that ignoring the main reason to get a DS? The draw of the DS and reason to play it should be due to its Touch Screen. Its suppose to innovate how to play games, but removing such a function it becomes nothing more then the same handhelds we already have (with graphics between PSP and GBA).

I know I have yet to try it but I can already see a little kid trying to control kirby while the DS is bouncing around in his hand...

Zelda_fan
08-24-05, 01:54 PM
True but isn't that ignoring the main reason to get a DS? The draw of the DS and reason to play it should be due to its Touch Screen. Its suppose to innovate how to play games, but removing such a function it becomes nothing more then the same handhelds we already have (with graphics between PSP and GBA).

I know I have yet to try it but I can already see a little kid trying to control kirby while the DS is bouncing around in his hand...

The DS has other innovations besides the touchscreen (dual screens and microphone to name two). So what if a game dosen't "fully" use the touchscreen? If it's still a good game then big deal.

Like I said, Super Mario Kart DS would be a great game to put the rumble pack in. At most, you will use the touchscreen like Mario 64 to control the car, and the rumble pack really won't hinder you in that. Now in a game like Meteos or Yoshi Touch and Go, yeah a rumble pack could be a problem, but not all games on the DS are like that.

Ninjaman09
08-24-05, 01:55 PM
The main reason to get a DS is to play the games that come out for it. Whether they make use of the touch screen or not is irrelevant. To be honest it is more of a gimmick than anything else. I would be just as pleased with it if it were merely a second display. Advance Wars DS is an incredible game and the touch screen is entirely optional.

Hence, Kirby does not have a rumble feature.

Developers don't have to use the rumble pack feature, and probably won't in games that require precision controls. If they do it would be designed that way intentionally and I seriously doubt that we'll be seeing a lot of games that are impossible to control due to the rumbling. And if for some reason we do see one, it's as easy as popping the pack out.