PDA

View Full Version : boot order

fasedww
08-24-05, 04:54 PM
Ok I had winXP home and then I installed Win XP Pro 64 bit on another drive, find when I would boot up I would get the selection on which OS to Boot from, Ok I juist reinstalled Xp on it's drive which was C: ok here's the question, Now when I boot up I don't get the boot selection, just boots into win Xp Home, how do I fix this, As my win xp64 bit OS is on drive D: just need to be able to boot into it, I don't have to reinstall XP 64 again right?, relly need some advice, :(

Scorpiuscat
08-24-05, 07:25 PM
That does seem odd, the BIOS should see both operating systems still.

Can you select the Win64 drive to boot off of in the Boot Order screen in the BIOS?

jAkUp
08-24-05, 07:37 PM
What is the primary boot device set in the BIOS?

fasedww
08-24-05, 09:29 PM
What is the primary boot device set in the BIOS?
cdrom, hardisk flobby. that doesn't matter, If I hit f8 and try to boot on my second sata drive where the 64 bit pro is on d: drive and iI get disk boot failure put system disk in etc.. used to just show win xp and win xp 64 pro and just choose one and hit enter.Didn't even have to hit f8 before after it would check all the bios stuff then win xp and win xp 64 pro and just choose one and hit enter damn what a bummer. :(

fasedww
08-24-05, 09:40 PM
That does seem odd, the BIOS should see both operating systems still.

Can you select the Win64 drive to boot off of in the Boot Order screen in the BIOS?you mean hit f8 for that it shows boot order it shows my sata drives but if i select the d: drive where 64 bit pro is get boot failure use system disk etc.

Wolfhound
08-24-05, 11:46 PM
Edit the boot.ini on your boot disk, you probably have something like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

if you want to start windows XP x64 you need to add the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP x64" /fastdetect

be sure the disk matches exactly where you installed the XP x64

In my case multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2) this is the first disk second partition

fasedww
08-28-05, 08:25 AM
Edit the boot.ini on your boot disk, you probably have something like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

if you want to start windows XP x64 you need to add the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP x64" /fastdetect

be sure the disk matches exactly where you installed the XP x64

In my case multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2) this is the first disk second partition
I just reinstalled win 64 Pro, everything cool didn't have anything really speacial on the drive to backup etc. everything find now. :)