PDA

View Full Version : a must read for gefore 7 users

grimreefer
08-24-05, 05:07 PM
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/g70-2.html
can someone translate what they said about overclocking lol?
heres a thread about it http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Board=techdisplayadapters&Number=5478434
comments?
chris ray, ur a smart guy, can u translate? what should i set my card to for maximum performance?

keith33
08-24-05, 06:13 PM
HOLY **** WTFBBQ BATMAN!? Well that's good to know, but I guess it explains how I get barely any difference when overclocking from 475 to 490mhz. The truth is, the G70 core is more complicated than most of us can even comprehend and we don't even understand how to overclock it yet.

grimreefer
08-24-05, 06:30 PM
anyone know how to get rivatuner hardware monitor to look like that?

toxikneedle
08-24-05, 06:32 PM
So... the max core speed a G70 can achieve is 513?

DoomUK
08-24-05, 07:03 PM
Thanks for that link.

I'm confused. I haven't taken time to let this new found knowledge about the G70 sink in fully yet, but from what I gather basically the GPU can only be successfully OC'ed to:-

473 MHz
500 MHz
527 MHz

And any other frequency is pointless.

:confused: :confused:

Has there ever been a conundrum like this before (with another graphics card, that is)? In laymans terms, it's essentially like the multiplier of a CPU; On a CPU bus of, say, 200 MHz (which for the sake of arguement here we'll say can't be changed), the only frequencies 'available' are that which is determined my the multi: 2x/400 MHz, 4x/800 MHz, 8x/1600 MHz, etc...

Monnie Rock
08-24-05, 08:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

Guess I will aim for 501 core and 1400 memory...the next step up would require exotic cooling I assume

Monnie

5150 Joker
08-24-05, 09:11 PM
What they're saying is the ROP/Shader units operate at a frequency of 27 mhz while the Geometry unit operates at a frequency independent of the latter two. So when you OC to a value that isn't in 27 mhz increments from the core clock, the driver internally corrects the ROP/Shader frequency to the nearest integer in the 27 mhz increment scheme from the number you chose e.g. you pick 490 the driver adjusts the ROP/Shader frequency to 486 mhz since it's the nearest number in 27 mhz increments to 490. This isn't exactly good news for overclockers so I'm going to read that futuremark thread and see what people have to say about this.

Rayman1968
08-24-05, 09:20 PM

I'd like to know as well. How are they getting those three different core readings?

5150 Joker
08-24-05, 09:26 PM
I'd like to know as well. How are they getting those three different core readings?

Via new soon to be released Rivatuner.

Monnie Rock
08-24-05, 09:28 PM
Yeah...New Rivatuner

j0j081
08-24-05, 09:30 PM
It says in the article its a new feature in RivaTuner 15.7 which isn't out yet.

|MaguS|
08-25-05, 08:09 AM
Well, I can't hit 500 on my core without artifacts so im sticking to 490 till I see some more evidence on it being the same speed as 486.

grimreefer
08-25-05, 09:19 AM
Well, I can't hit 500 on my core without artifacts so im sticking to 490 till I see some more evidence on it being the same speed as 486.
chris ray, do a review!

grimreefer
08-25-05, 04:25 PM
bump, this is a must read!

Graphicmaniac
08-25-05, 05:13 PM
yes this is definetively interesting
if that is true than cards like 470mhz on gpu are just a 459mhz pixel engine thast is the most important

but on the forum they use different steps .. i still don't undertsand wich one is right.

grimreefer
08-25-05, 05:34 PM
yes this is definetively interesting
if that is true than cards like 470mhz on gpu are just a 459mhz pixel engine thast is the most important

but on the forum they use different steps .. i still don't undertsand wich one is right.
they vary from driver to driver, makes u wonder if u can modify drivers to best suite ur core speed

rohit
08-25-05, 06:19 PM
guyz with watercooling, could experiment more.

Red_Shift
08-25-05, 07:06 PM
Bah those guys at futuremark forum are real dumbs, all they do is complaining about nvidia and for something that isn't that bad, actually i think it makes OC funnier. Instead of complaining they should understand that this was designed in order to lower power consumption. 7800GTX is the first card to have an independent clock for vertex units and that's great, if they can go higher why be limited by shader or ROPs? Because vertex clock is allways 40mhz higher than reference clock it's allways better to go for a higher reference clock even if shader/rops clock get rounded down. Be aware though the vertex clock might be reaching it's limits so even if you go to a clock that'll be rounded up on shader/ROPs and that causes instability, don't blame shader/ROPs clock right away, it may be the vertex clock causing it although yes the most probable thing is the shader/ROPs clock be causing it. In the very worst case this clock system is not allowing the shader/ROPs clock to go about 20mhz higher.

5150 Joker
08-25-05, 07:12 PM
The reason nVidia allows its vertex clock to be higher is probably due to it being weak compared to ATi's offering more than anything else. People are complaining because some wouldn't want the power saving technology built into this chip and would rather increment the clock 1-5 mhz at a time to get maximum performance out of their chip. However realistically, it doesn't make much difference because you don't get much of a performance jump until you gain at least 20 mhz with this chip anyway.