PDA

View Full Version : Sound fading with Creative 5400 speakers

Tuork
08-24-05, 10:30 PM
Howdy to all. Tis' be me, once again, to trouble you with my puny ordeals in the wonderful yet frustrating world of computers.

I am currently experiencing something rather annoying, and would like your advice. On to business...

Today my Creative 5400 5.1 speakers have started fading in and out randomly.

I checked all the conexions and they are fine. No damage to any component that I know of. When I am listening to music, the sound fades and comes back some time later.... the light on the wired remote gows dimmer too.

The only rescent change to my system is a 6800GT which I haven't added to my sig (shame on me, I know)... other than that, specs in sig.

The speakers worked fine up until today. SHould I pack it up and use the warranty????

God Bless thee. :D

Lazaredz
08-24-05, 10:36 PM
Maybe check the PSU? Sounds like maybe the 6800GT was the straw that broke the camel's back. Or at least bent it in this case.

CaptNKILL
08-24-05, 10:38 PM
Try changing the batteries in your remote.

Just an idea.

HowlingPhoenix
08-25-05, 02:03 AM
I've been having the exact same problem with my t5400 speakers...my problem seems to originate from the wired remote. If I move it slightly or tap on it the volume changes. Also the volume control itself has become VERY sensitive. It was already pretty sensitive but now even the slightest touch will cause it to max out the volume. I'm thinking about ordering a different volume control that is compatible with the t5400s from the Creative website. I would send it in to be fixed but my warranty is no longer valid.

Tuork
08-25-05, 09:30 AM
Try changing the batteries in your remote.

Just an idea.

Err... it's a wired remote. :D

Tuork
08-25-05, 09:32 AM
I've been having the exact same problem with my t5400 speakers...my problem seems to originate from the wired remote. If I move it slightly or tap on it the volume changes. Also the volume control itself has become VERY sensitive. It was already pretty sensitive but now even the slightest touch will cause it to max out the volume. I'm thinking about ordering a different volume control that is compatible with the t5400s from the Creative website. I would send it in to be fixed but my warranty is no longer valid.

Yeah, I noticed that too.... I'm guessing it's a flaw in the remote.
I wanted to see if it was the sound card (integrated) so I hooked up some earphones to the remote jack thingy...

I got normal sound.... and surprisingly, the speakers stopped fading! :)

Give it a try, Phoenix, and tell me if it works.

I'm still under warranty so I guess if the problem persists I'll go chop some heads off at the store :D

toxikneedle
08-25-05, 11:44 AM
I have this same exact problem with my Altec Lansings 2.1, which I don't use anymore. I found that the problem was the wires. When they become a little loose the connection must be very sensitive because the fading happens and the volume gets sensitive. When the sound fades, if I push the wires, the sound either gets really loud or goes back to normal or neither. When i get my new 5.1 speakers, I'm gonna try to make sure non of the sound connections get hit or pushed in any way.

HowlingPhoenix
08-25-05, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too.... I'm guessing it's a flaw in the remote.
I wanted to see if it was the sound card (integrated) so I hooked up some earphones to the remote jack thingy...

I got normal sound.... and surprisingly, the speakers stopped fading! :)

Give it a try, Phoenix, and tell me if it works.

I'm still under warranty so I guess if the problem persists I'll go chop some heads off at the store :D

Yep, you're right..with the headphones the fading in and out does go away. Its definetly a problem with the remote. If the problem doesnt go away soon I think I'll go ahead and order that different wired remote from creative.com, its unfortunate that my warranty just ran out. The remote is only $14.99 though so that isnt too bad.

Tuork
08-26-05, 06:18 AM
I have this same exact problem with my Altec Lansings 2.1, which I don't use anymore. I found that the problem was the wires. When they become a little loose the connection must be very sensitive because the fading happens and the volume gets sensitive. When the sound fades, if I push the wires, the sound either gets really loud or goes back to normal or neither. When i get my new 5.1 speakers, I'm gonna try to make sure non of the sound connections get hit or pushed in any way.

Hmm... need to check all wiring today....

Tuork
08-27-05, 06:57 PM
UPDATE:
So I went to the store I bought them at and they gave me a new remote... so far so good.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking on buying the other control Phoenix mentioned.... just as long as it's compatible with the iPod shuffle. Anyone know anything about it?

HowlingPhoenix
08-28-05, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure if its compatible with that or not.

Here is a link to the remote I was looking at.

Link (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=58&product=9858)