PDA

View Full Version : Couple SLI Questions

novagamer
08-25-05, 11:38 AM
I've got a couple questions regarding SLI:

Does Vsync work when using SLI? I have heard varying reports saying yes and no. I have a CRT monitor and this is important.

Are there any issues with refresh rates and SLI? Once again, having a CRT this is important to me.

Most people aren't using CRT monitors anymore so I thought best to start a thread asking. Thanks a lot :)

jAkUp
08-25-05, 11:40 AM
From what I understand, vsync does not work in SFR games under SLI.... AFR games work fine from what I understand.

Refresh rates and SLI are fine, I am using a CRT at 1600x1200 85hz refresh rate with no issues :)

novagamer
08-25-05, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your help, I've got another question though.

I recall that some games that didn't support SLI could be forced to use a certian mode. Is that SFR or AFR? I can understand after reading up why SFR doesn't support vsync.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, I just would rather be able to enable it if I'm getting very good fps already (with an SLI rig I probably would be, at least in older games).

Dr.Nick
08-25-05, 12:09 PM
The only game that I cannot enable Vsync in is World Of Warcraft although it seems to be running in AFR mode. Haven't had an issue yet with any others

Grestorn
08-25-05, 12:56 PM
From what I understand, vsync does not work in SFR games under SLI.... AFR games work fine from what I understand.It's the other way round. AFR doesn't allow VSync, SFR does.

novagamer
08-25-05, 01:05 PM
It's the other way round. AFR doesn't allow VSync, SFR does.

That would mean that load balancing the frame splitting can work just vine with vsync which doesn't make much sense to me. One frame after another can easily be sync'd down to a refresh rate, I would think.

You may be correct though, but I can't imagine why it would work that way and not the other.

Grestorn
08-25-05, 03:51 PM
That would mean that load balancing the frame splitting can work just vine with vsync which doesn't make much sense to me. One frame after another can easily be sync'd down to a refresh rate, I would think.

You may be correct though, but I can't imagine why it would work that way and not the other.
Yes, that's what I thought, too. But it's a proven fact: AFR doesn't allow VSync, SFR does. Tried that many times and there's no doubt about it.

J-Mag
08-25-05, 05:04 PM
Yes, that's what I thought, too. But it's a proven fact: AFR doesn't allow VSync, SFR does. Tried that many times and there's no doubt about it.

Isn't BF2 AFR?

I swear to god that I felt slower with Vsync on and did not see the same upper end tearing. Maybe it reduces frame rate, and that reduced rate just so happens to tear in a different location on my screen...

SH64
08-25-05, 05:10 PM
Actually V-sync works in some games & dont work in others .. it depends ..

novagamer
08-25-05, 05:55 PM
Is there a list of some sort?

OWA
08-25-05, 05:57 PM
Not that I know of. You kind of have to try it and see. In one of the other v-sync threads I listed several games that I have tried and the results but it's a fairly small list.