PDA

View Full Version : Blue Shift finally released on Steam.

Pages : [1] 2 3

AngelGraves13
08-25-05, 04:03 PM
Seems Steam and Gearbox worked out the code and finally got Blue Shift to run with Steam. I checked it out today and it seems to work fine. Now if only they'll release the hi-poly models that came with it on CD and make a Source version of it.

zoomy942
08-25-05, 04:54 PM
but if i bought the standard HL2 i cant download this can i?

superklye
08-25-05, 05:19 PM
Probably not, unless you want to pay the $20 "upgrade" fee.

AngelGraves13
08-25-05, 06:19 PM
Valve: Half-Life: Blue Shift is now playable for anyone that owns the Half-Life Premier Pack, the Half-Life 2 Silver package, or the Half-Life 2 Gold package.

superklye
08-25-05, 07:02 PM
right, but they just released that "upgrade" thing that you can pay $20 for and get all the of back catalogue on Steam. It's pretty much giving you Silver status if you paid for the regular store version or the collector's edition (which should've been Silver at least to begin with).

saturnotaku
08-25-05, 08:53 PM
right, but they just released that "upgrade" thing that you can pay $20 for and get all the of back catalogue on Steam. It's pretty much giving you Silver status if you paid for the regular store version or the collector's edition (which should've been Silver at least to begin with).

So if someone has the collector's edition DVD, do they get Blue Shift or not?

j0j081
08-25-05, 09:51 PM
yes I believe so if that's the one that came in the big box and included HL:Souce.

BTW. What is Blue Shift like? I never played the original.

zoomy942
08-25-05, 10:07 PM
yes I believe so if that's the one that came in the big box and included HL:Souce.

BTW. What is Blue Shift like? I never played the original.

blue shift was my favorite of the original half life games. in the first 2, you were trying to save the world (sort of)

in blue shift, you are just some guy trying to get the hell out.

Rakeesh
08-25-05, 11:55 PM
Well, you are one of the black mesa security guards. If you played the original half life, you may recall when you first start the game and you are riding the train, theres that security guard with the flashlight stuck out on an empty pedestal banging on the door. In blue shift, you start out as him (in fact you can actually watch gordon freeman ride by you in the train, eyeballs locked on you giving you a blank stare as if you were some hapless bafoon.) I think his name was just "Calhoun", however in HL2 they gave Barney the last name Calhoun, so I am not sure what was going on there.

This game actually got some low marks for being short. However nowadays you are practically paying nothing for it.

GamerGuyX
08-26-05, 12:07 AM

Thats the version I have and I don't see Blue Shift in my Steam games menu. :thumbdwn:

Its been awhile since I played Blue Shift too... :(

Rakeesh
08-26-05, 12:37 AM
I had a copy of the HL platinum pack, and it had like 5 or so CDkeys. Each one is valid for a full HL platinum pack on steam, which would include blue shift (I already gave all of mine away, so don't bother asking :P ) If you can find somebody who has the platinum pack and doesn't mind giving one of the keys away, or if you want to pick it up at best buy for $15, you can play blue shift that way. Plus you get 4 additional copies, good for playing NS lan games.

Edge
08-26-05, 12:51 AM
Well, you are one of the black mesa security guards. If you played the original half life, you may recall when you first start the game and you are riding the train, theres that security guard with the flashlight stuck out on an empty pedestal banging on the door. In blue shift, you start out as him (in fact you can actually watch gordon freeman ride by you in the train, eyeballs locked on you giving you a blank stare as if you were some hapless bafoon.) I think his name was just "Calhoun", however in HL2 they gave Barney the last name Calhoun, so I am not sure what was going on there.
You actually play as Barney Calhoun in Blue Shift (it says so on the box and in the manual). It's supposed to be Barney's view of the events at Black Mesa, and his story of how he escaped and saved the world in his own way. Although, it's obvious that they didn't really think of the Half-life storyline in a very detailed manor when they were coming up with these storylines, since according to Blue Shift, Barney and Gordon never even MEET eachother, yet in HL2 Barney acts like you were buddies during the crisis. This is probably just because HL1 and it's mods didn't really have any discernable characters in them, every scientist and security guard were pretty much just considered extras. But eh, it's not like the characters or storyline are really a strong point in the Half-life games, so I'm probably just overanalyzing.

Rakeesh
08-26-05, 03:25 AM
You actually play as Barney Calhoun in Blue Shift (it says so on the box and in the manual). It's supposed to be Barney's view of the events at Black Mesa, and his story of how he escaped and saved the world in his own way. Although, it's obvious that they didn't really think of the Half-life storyline in a very detailed manor when they were coming up with these storylines, since according to Blue Shift, Barney and Gordon never even MEET eachother, yet in HL2 Barney acts like you were buddies during the crisis. This is probably just because HL1 and it's mods didn't really have any discernable characters in them, every scientist and security guard were pretty much just considered extras. But eh, it's not like the characters or storyline are really a strong point in the Half-life games, so I'm probably just overanalyzing.

Yeah I just started the game and noticed it says "Subject: B. Calhoun"

They made that without the forethought though. The original blue shift showed the face of your player in the menu (including a nametag that read Calhoun) and it was high detail, e.g. like how Freemans face is shown in the current half life. His face didn't resemble Barney's face in HL2 as far as I can remember. Not to mention that all of the HL security guards have HL2 barneys voice, are named Barney, and say "Hey, catch me later I'll buy ya a beer" when you play as Freeman (where when you first meet HL2 barney, he says "about that beer I owed you.")

Kind of a misfit story when you think about it.

j0j081
08-26-05, 05:03 AM
Thats the version I have and I don't see Blue Shift in my Steam games menu. :thumbdwn:

Its been awhile since I played Blue Shift too... :(
hmm...that sucks. i used to have the platinum pack as well but sold it to a friend so now I don't know what to do. oh wait actually...i might be able to remember my old steam login cause i made a new one for hl2. LOL i'll try it later and see what happens. i doubt i'd hardly use the account so if i can get it work perhaps ill give u the info.

AngelGraves13
08-26-05, 01:13 PM
it's under Half-Life: Blue Shift, you guys should have it there.

superklye
08-26-05, 04:12 PM
I have the CE and Blue Shift is NOT showing up in my Steam window.

GamerGuyX
08-26-05, 08:38 PM
it's under Half-Life: Blue Shift, you guys should have it there.

Well we don't.

Here's a screenshot of my Steam games windows:

LINK (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/GamingLordX/noblueshift.png)

Rakeesh
08-26-05, 10:27 PM
Worksforme. I only own regular HL2 retail, and regular HL1 retail as well.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13108&stc=1

Looks to me as though you don't have the original half life in your steam account, in which case you won't ever see blue shift. Either the original half life isn't included in the collectors edition, or valve f*cked both of you.

If you did have the original half life, you'd see that, along with Blue Shift, regular CS, TFC, DoD, DMC, OF, and Ricochet either greyed out or active depending on whether or not you've installed them. Since none of those are listed at all, steam clearly has you registered as not owning HL1.

EDIT: And as far as I can tell, it seems that the collectors edition indeed does not include HL1. Kinda unexpected seeing as the silver edition, which is priced lower, does include that as well as CS:CZ. I am guessing that they made the back catalog a steam only offer since they would rather you buy it via steam instead of in the stores (they would make more money this way actually.)

That aside, collectors edition owners will have to spend an extra $35 in order to own all of the same stuff that the silver edition owners currently have if you buy via steam. Or it can be as low as $15 extra if you buy in stores (used that is, as I have seen both for about $7 each, although I can't remember where, and afaik you can transfer the keys.)

saturnotaku
08-26-05, 11:17 PM
Not that it really matters to me as I still have my copy of Blue Shift, but if this is a version that has been updated with the Source engine I'd like to be able to get it. Is there a way for me to input my Blue Shift CD key and get this thing to appear?

Edge
08-26-05, 11:24 PM
Yes, any key from Half-life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, or Counter-Strike will give you access to all of the HL1-engine based Valve games in Steam. But it's not an updated version, it's the same old HL1 engine, and it doesn't even use the HD pack so it actually looks worse than the stand-alone install of it. But the HD pack is going to be released on Steam next week, so that's something to look forward to at least.

superklye
08-27-05, 02:50 AM
Yeah, the CE was bull****. We got HL:S, but not HL original. whatever. I paid $80 for a crappy package and it's my own damned stupid fault. I should've bought the silver package because it is a much better deal, but I didn't.

you live. you learn.

BioHazZarD
08-27-05, 05:52 AM
IM just happy my orignal hl1 cd was here, the CE is a joke really.

saturnotaku
08-27-05, 06:50 AM
Yes, any key from Half-life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, or Counter-Strike will give you access to all of the HL1-engine based Valve games in Steam.

Cool, now how do you enter the new keys?

Rakeesh
08-27-05, 09:47 AM
Cool, now how do you enter the new keys?

Under my games: browse games > register a product I already own.

j0j081
08-28-05, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the CE was bull****. We got HL:S, but not HL original. whatever. I paid $80 for a crappy package and it's my own damned stupid fault. I should've bought the silver package because it is a much better deal, but I didn't.

you live. you learn.
Why would you want to play the original w/HL:S??? Same thing really.