PDA

View Full Version : Am I like so out of date?

jasper1106
08-25-05, 06:22 PM
Hi guys,

Been building my first computer (so bound to over look a few things right ) :S

Came to plug it all in after checking and rechecking connections and cables. Only to find I could not plug my monitor power lead AND the supplied power lead that came with the case.

On my old PSU and Case I have 2 plugs one male one female, one for power supply from the mains and my monitor had its own seperate power cable which plugged into the other one, along with its standard plug to plug into the display/video port.

Of course without this much needed plug my PC runs but my monitor will not power on!

I have just had a look at many more cases different to the one I bought and the power supplies that come with them indeed only have one power socket.

So..... my question is what the hell happened to the other power socket? :eek:

jAkUp
08-25-05, 06:27 PM
hehee

Powersupplies now do not have that connection. Computers take too much power nowadays to be sharing with the monitor. You plug your monitor directly into the wall.

GamerGuyX
08-25-05, 06:30 PM
Hi guys,

Been building my first computer (so bound to over look a few things right ) :S

Came to plug it all in after checking and rechecking connections and cables. Only to find I could not plug my monitor power lead AND the supplied power lead that came with the case.

On my old PSU and Case I have 2 plugs one male one female, one for power supply from the mains and my monitor had its own seperate power cable which plugged into the other one, along with its standard plug to plug into the display/video port.

Of course without this much needed plug my PC runs but my monitor will not power on!

I have just had a look at many more cases different to the one I bought and the power supplies that come with them indeed only have one power socket.

So..... my question is what the hell happened to the other power socket? :eek:

Your joking right? :wtf:

NightFire
08-25-05, 06:38 PM
Naw, you're not to out of date, if we're speaking in relation to the cosmic time scale. I mean, pffft, something that hasn't been used for about 8 years is virtually new knowledge!

In technology terms, however...

LBJM
08-25-05, 06:39 PM
hehee

Powersupplies now do not have that connection. Computers take too much power nowadays to be sharing with the monitor. You plug your monitor directly into the wall.

you can still get server psus with both connections, the desktop though not anymore.

jasper1106
08-25-05, 06:49 PM
Wow ok thats really shocking, the monitor is about 4 years old still has good colour and sharpness! Very strange! Well this was a budget PC build and its turning into something ridiculous. Is it possible for me to change the plug that goes in the back of the monitor to plug straight into the mains? Any possible way round this! As i havent got the budget to purchase a new monitor! :(

Head_slinger
08-25-05, 07:00 PM
Cant the power cable be disconnected from the actual monitor. They are usually just kettle plugs. If so just get a new cable with a mains plug on.

If not cut the power connector off and just put a normal mains plug on. I assume you can wire a plug :)

Starscream
08-25-05, 11:08 PM
Wow ok thats really shocking, the monitor is about 4 years old still has good colour and sharpness! Very strange! Well this was a budget PC build and its turning into something ridiculous. Is it possible for me to change the plug that goes in the back of the monitor to plug straight into the mains? Any possible way round this! As i havent got the budget to purchase a new monitor! :(

The easiest solution is just get a standard computer power cable and plug on end into ac power and the other into the end of that monitor cable.