PDA

View Full Version : Nforce3/Geforce 6 question?

Demanufakture
08-25-05, 07:08 PM
Has anyone tried to use the previous nforce 3 set,4.27, with the latest 7x.xx drivers with their geforce 6 to see if that gets rid of the stutter problem? I noticed that the 4.27 driver has an older GART driver version than 5.10. If this has already been tried and proven not to work please post here.

EDIT:Sorry, posted in the wrong place. Disregard this post. :o

OWA
08-25-05, 08:15 PM
Why start a new thread for this? Just check the stutter thread. I'm sure this has been tried before since they've tried lots and lots of things.

Anyway, I'm using the the nforce 5.10s and 77.77s and I'm stutter-free (the 2nd system in my sig).

j0j081
08-25-05, 09:47 PM
I'm stutter free to. I think this has already proven to be a hardware/config issue and not driver specific.

MidnightWatcher
08-28-05, 11:06 AM
Proven? Where? How?

Eliminator
08-28-05, 01:18 PM
tried it... didnt help

gram_vaz
08-28-05, 03:16 PM
try the 66.93 driver.

j0j081
08-29-05, 04:30 AM
Proven? Where? How?
proven because some people get it while others don't...but regardless the drivers have never really made any difference.

Eliminator
08-29-05, 01:39 PM
try the 66.93 driver.
doesnt help

Demanufakture
08-29-05, 04:52 PM
Actually this random pause stutter issue was introduced to our systems by the 7x.xx drivers. I have never had any problems with this issue with any driver before 7x.xx. However, the 7x.xx driver, immediately after installation, on a nforce 3 rig like mine with agp fastwrites on, you get the pause/stutter issue. With 71.84 and 71.89 turning off agp fastwrites worked and got rid of the problem. However, this is not the case for 77.72, 77.76 and 77.77. These seem to pause/stutter whether I have agp fastwrites on or off. So I am now going back to 66.93 because I would rather play all my games without problems rather than using the latest drivers just so I can play battlefield 2. Sorry BF2, you gotta sit on the shelf until nvidia pulls their head out of their ass and fix this ongoing issue that has only gotten worse over time. Believe me or not, I have proved it many time to myself since the 7x.xx driver came out. Going back to the 6x.xx drivers totally gets rid of the conflict. Hense, it is a graphics driver bug introduced in the 7x.xx drivers. The problem is in the forceware 7x.xx drivers. It is not, I repeat, NOT a problem with the motherboard. I only made my original post because I was curious.

gram_vaz
08-29-05, 04:57 PM
^ that's with you. switching to 66.xx drivers doesn't seem to work for many as checking the stutter sticky will confirm.

Demanufakture
08-29-05, 05:01 PM
Well that is very strange, because like I said above, this is how it is on my system and the problem didn't ever happen until 7x.xx driver came out. This issue is extremely strange seeing as how it affects peoples rigs differently. Of course I forgot to mention, I always install my driver the right way. I always uninstall the old one first. Nvidia's silence on this issue is by far the most annoying thing Nvidia has done, in my opinion, ever.

MidnightWatcher
08-30-05, 12:02 AM
Nvidia's silence on this issue is by far the most annoying thing Nvidia has done, in my opinion, ever.

Which is why my next card will be from ATI. I've given up playing Direct3D games shortly after I got this cursed configuration abomination.

(And the WMV-HD issue, don't even get me started. I should have known that green is the color of snot, of fungus, mould and rotting bread.)

Demanufakture
08-30-05, 04:47 PM
Actually, it is a miracle. I fixed my Nforce 3. Turns out my BIOS probably got corrupted when my cmos battery died. I flashed my Bios back to the original factory Bios and now I can play all my games again with agp fastwrites off, which nvidia recommends anyway as recommended Bios settings, on their website in the faq part of their support page. I am no longer looking for a new motherboard. Now I can get back to playing my games without the 5 second pause/stutter issue again. :cool:

Eliminator
08-30-05, 10:01 PM
youre just lucky.... ive flashed mine hundreds of times without luck

j0j081
09-01-05, 05:01 AM
Actually, it is a miracle. I fixed my Nforce 3. Turns out my BIOS probably got corrupted when my cmos battery died. I flashed my Bios back to the original factory Bios and now I can play all my games again with agp fastwrites off, which nvidia recommends anyway as recommended Bios settings, on their website in the faq part of their support page. I am no longer looking for a new motherboard. Now I can get back to playing my games without the 5 second pause/stutter issue again. :cool:
amazingly i can play with fast writes on.