PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning re: eVGA 7800GTX

Pages : [1] 2

mario64
08-25-05, 10:26 PM
Got my eVGA NF4 SLI 7800GTX bundle today and spent several hours disassembling my old P4 system then installing the new one. All went well until it came time to install the card...they didn't include the stinking PCI express power adapter! So now I'm competely dead in the water (typing this on a laptop). Got a beautiful new system just sitting there. :thumbdwn:

To make matters worse, eVGA was hardly concerned about it. They said the best they could do was try to get a replacement out to me sometime next week. Needless to say I'm not at all impressed with them.......

So if you're like me and have a PSU without the PCIX connector be leary of eVGA.

Mario64
P.S. Does anyone know of local retailers that carry the adapter, i.e. Best Buy?

toxikneedle
08-25-05, 10:35 PM
I believe u can startup your system without connecting your vid card to the PSU. It will draw power from the PCIE slot. When you get into windows itll tell u that its not getting enough power and itll simply run it downclocked. But you can install all your programs and use your system, just not play games until u get the PCI-e connector and put your clocks back up

jAkUp
08-25-05, 10:56 PM
Where do you live? PCCLUB has them readily available for purchase.

And yes, you can use your system without the power adapters.

mario64
08-25-05, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll try to boot it without the adapter. Jakup, I live in East TN. Don't think we have a PCClub here. :(

We just have CC, BB, etc.

keith33
08-25-05, 11:03 PM
Did you buy OEM versions mario? My eVGA cards came with the dual molex to PCIe adapters. That really sucks though, what power supply do you have?

mario64
08-25-05, 11:07 PM
Did you buy OEM versions mario? My eVGA cards came with the dual molex to PCIe adapters. That really sucks though, what power supply do you have?
No I got the full retail combo package. My PSU is an Antec True Power 550. If it was less than that I'd just get a new one.

Mario64

combat_wombat
08-25-05, 11:08 PM
To make matters worse, eVGA was hardly concerned about it. They said the best they could do was try to get a replacement out to me sometime next week.

were you polite? that seems out of the ordinary for them. It could be they are completely swamped with orders, and of course frustration & backlog comes with the territory. either way, you should have gotten that cable with your card if it's the retail version, and they should promptly send you one.

mario64
08-25-05, 11:22 PM
were you polite? that seems out of the ordinary for them. It could be they are completely swamped with orders, and of course frustration & backlog comes with the territory. either way, you should have gotten that cable with your card if it's the retail version, and they should promptly send you one.
As much as I wanted not to be, yes I was polite. I'm truly shocked they didn't overnight me one immediately. Backorders or not, this type of situation should always take priority IMO.

Auswak
08-26-05, 01:49 AM
Mario,

I am very suprised at your experience with EVGA, this is not at all a normal EVGA response and I would very much like to investigate this more for you, but firstly get you your PCI-E Y cable.

Please contact me personally in the morning 888-881-3842 after 9AM (PDT), ask for the Aussie guy and I will make things right for you.

Thanks

:D

wshadow
08-26-05, 01:55 AM
see EVGA ROCKZORS! :P

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 07:21 AM
it's great to have hardware employees come to the forums. We need more ppl like this here.

|MaguS|
08-26-05, 08:17 AM
Mine came with the adapter aswell...

mario64
08-26-05, 10:11 AM
Mario,

I am very suprised at your experience with EVGA, this is not at all a normal EVGA response and I would very much like to investigate this more for you, but firstly get you your PCI-E Y cable.

Please contact me personally in the morning 888-881-3842 after 9AM (PDT), ask for the Aussie guy and I will make things right for you.

Thanks

Thank you so much Wade! At this point I'd glady pay to get it shipped out today via USPS Express Mail. As far as I know they're the only provider of Saturday overnight deliveries. I'll be in touch.

Mario64

gram_vaz
08-26-05, 10:48 AM
omg, awesome customer support! i wish every manufacturer would have representatives on forums.

PNY7800GTX
08-26-05, 11:14 AM
ask for the Aussie guy and I will make things right for you

haha Aussies r0ck!

$n][pErMan
08-26-05, 12:08 PM
Mario,

Thanks

haha... now thats class.

mario64
08-26-05, 03:48 PM
I spoke to Wade first thing this morning. He assured me he'd get the cable to me tomorrow (yes on Saturday). I'll report back then.

Mario64

$n][pErMan
08-26-05, 06:05 PM
Ya .. if he does .. watch everyone here with eVGA contact him with thier problems first now :p

Muppet
08-26-05, 06:06 PM
Mario,

Thanks

Damn that is good service, i wish we had EVGA here in New Zealand, i'd definatly buy there products

mario64
08-27-05, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately they were not able to get it overnighted to me for Saturday delivery. :( It is supposed to arrive Monday, however, with a "bonus" inside. No idea what it is.

Mario64

combat_wombat
08-27-05, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately they were not able to get it overnighted to me for Saturday delivery. :( It is supposed to arrive Monday, however, with a "bonus" inside. No idea what it is.

Mario64

hopefully not golf tees, hehe

their keychains were cool though, but whoever came up with golf tees idea should have been horse whipped!

Muppet
08-27-05, 02:59 AM

Mario64
Maybe it's those cool new heatsinks EVGA has, now that would be cool :eek:

Auswak
08-27-05, 04:52 AM
Maybe it's those cool new heatsinks EVGA has, now that would be cool :eek:

Kia Ora Muppet

Although not in New Zealand you can get EVGA product from www.shadowentertainment.com.au

Muppet
08-27-05, 06:10 AM
Kia Ora Muppet

Although not in New Zealand you can get EVGA product from www.shadowentertainment.com.au

Cool thanks for the link and Kia Ora to you to :D

Benotti
08-27-05, 03:28 PM
Kia Ora Muppet

How about The Netherlands? :D

It isnt for sale here afaik :(