PDA

View Full Version : Got screwed by copy protection

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 07:48 AM
With Myst V comming out, I decided that I needed to bush up on my Myst skills. I went to a local walmart and picked up a copy of the only Myst game I haven't played: Myst IV Relevation. The game is 2 DVDs, and when I got home, I put the DVD in the drive. Only one problem - the drive didn't recognize the disc. I did some research on the internet, and found that Ubisoft had some sort of borked copy protection scheme that didn't work with all DVD drives. Sure enough I tried the disc in another DVD drive and it worked. Fourtantly, I had a spare DVD drive so I'm fine, and the game is quite good. However, Ubisoft are idiots for screwing over the paying customers like this. I checked the Ubi forums and there are hundreds of people who can't play the game because of this.

BioHazZarD
08-26-05, 07:57 AM
I had the same problem with SCCT had to upgrade frickin firmware in order to get it to play. I hate protections that causes more harm then good :(

agentkay
08-26-05, 09:38 AM
Sounds like Starforce to me. FYI, I donīt recommend to burn any disks with installed Starforce drivers. Use the attached tool to remove all Starforce drivers.

Ninjaman09
08-26-05, 09:44 AM
Sweet, thanks for that link agentkay! Better than a system format. :D

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 09:44 AM
I actually think it is some crocked version of SafeDisc. IMHO Starforce is nothing more than a virus and should be made illegial. We should make a list of games that use starforce so people know to stay away from them.

Ninjaman09
08-26-05, 10:04 AM
That's a good idea jonk. Maybe send a PM to jAkUp and see if we can sticky it. :)

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 10:06 AM
the thing is I don't know any games that use starforce so I don't know where to start lol

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 10:10 AM
ok, I'm researching what games use it, i'm making a list and will post it in another topic.

agentkay
08-26-05, 10:29 AM
Games that have Starforce protection:

Bandits Phoenix Rising
Beyond Divinity
Black Mirror
Blitzkrieg - Rolling Thunder
Colin McRally 2005
Cossacks 2
CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect
Chaos League
Domination Phantom Renaissance: Massive Assault
Etherlords 2
Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich
Gangland
GTR
GT Legends
Moment of Silence
Obscure
Panzers 1 and 2
Postal 2
PSI-Ops
Race Driver 2
RPM Tuning
Scrapland
Silent Hunter 3
Singles 1 and 2
Splinter Cell 3 - Chaos Theory
Starwolves
Sudeki
Syberia
The Fall 2 - Last Days of Gaia
The Suffering
Trackmania
Trackmania Sunrise
Warlords Battlecry III
X2
Xpand Rally
Zoo Empire

Okay, Iīm tired now. lol It should be the majority of SF games but Iīm sure I have missed some. BTW, I thought that Myst 5 has SF because of reports that Ubisoft is switching completely to SF but who knows, maybe they changed their minds and donīt protect every game with SF.

The new Securom isnīt much better than SF, at least you can completely remove SF with the tool I attached above, Securom doesnīt remove its hidden files and registry entries (like I posted in the FEAR thread).

On the other hand, SF is really aggressive and constantly sending signals to your IDE ports something what can cause (and has AFAIK) caused problems especially when you burn DVDs (with installed SF drivers) but I would NEVER burn any disks at all, donīt want damage my optical drive.

agentkay
08-26-05, 10:33 AM
ok, I'm researching what games use it, i'm making a list and will post it in another topic.

Sorry jonk, I was making my own list and didnīt press refresh to see that you started to make one yourself. lol Feel free to add any missing games from my list to your list/thread. :)

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 10:38 AM
lol doing so now, if you find any more, post them in the other thread cuz it will be easier for me to update it

saturnotaku
08-26-05, 10:40 AM
That's some nice detective work, guys.

Another resource for you would be the CD Freaks (http://club.cdfreaks.com) forums. They may have some more games not listed as well as advice on how to deal with SF and the latest SecuROM copy protections.

OWA
08-26-05, 11:15 AM
The game is 2 DVDs, and when I got home, I put the DVD in the drive. Only one problem - the drive didn't recognize the disc. I did some research on the internet, and found that Ubisoft had some sort of borked copy protection scheme that didn't work with all DVD drives. Sure enough I tried the disc in another DVD drive and it worked. Fourtantly, I had a spare DVD drive so I'm fine, and the game is quite good.
Yeah, that has happened to me a couple of times. The first time I had to use an older drive that I had decided to hang on to and the 2nd time I had to update the firmware to my DVD drive. It's getting to be a little ridiculous.

stncttr908
08-26-05, 11:40 AM
Soliders: Heroes of WWII also has Starforce.

Delbert
08-26-05, 11:52 AM
I found this task running on my machine the other night...
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/UAService7/
Is this Starforce ? I have Silent Hunter 3 so maybe it came from there ? Anyway to run the game without having the service running ?

stncttr908
08-26-05, 01:34 PM
I found this task running on my machine the other night...
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/UAService7/
Is this Starforce ? I have Silent Hunter 3 so maybe it came from there ? Anyway to run the game without having the service running ?
That's SecurROM 7. I have it running to, but I forget which of my games uses it.

agentkay
08-26-05, 02:00 PM
That's SecurROM 7. I have it running to, but I forget which of my games uses it.

The FEAR demo is one of them, but quite a lot of other games use this one. If a game doesnīt use SF, it will most likely use Securom 7, Safe Disk is not that common these days.

I recommend the A-Ray scanner to identify a copy protection on a disk (or .exe)

http://www.aray-software.com/index.php?showforum=7

-=DVS=-
08-26-05, 03:04 PM
Awesome guys always wondered what games to avoid , thanks :thumbsup:

Tyr-Sog
08-26-05, 04:09 PM
I couldn't install the DVD copy of BF2 on my machine. So i took ing back and traded it for the CD version and loaded it up on my second CD drive no problems.

$n][pErMan
08-26-05, 06:10 PM
I had no problems with the DVD Version of BF2.... after reading this thread tho... it appears among spyware and viruses .. .I also have to watch out for CD protection programs now too..... this is getting really sad! :mad: