PDA

View Full Version : Wind xp with AMD X2 Do you guys C a diff?

bugmage
08-26-05, 08:07 AM
Hi im just wondering what kind of performance boosts, besides in games do you see with the dual core chips? How do you think the PS3 with its 9 core cpu will work?? :afro:

Zelda_fan
08-26-05, 08:13 AM
It all depends on what you do with your computer. If you are just into games, then you won't see a difference until about 4 months when games will start makeing better use of multi-threaded programming.

On the other hand, your system will be much more responsive, and multitask programs much faster. If you like to encode videos or burn DVDs, and do other stuff at the same time, then you will see a mammoth difference. I think [H]ardOCP did a test and encoded a video in the background while they played Doom3 and Doom3 ran without a hitch.

bugmage
08-26-05, 10:35 AM
sounds good, i just got a amd 3400 from a 3000xp, and thats great, i cant wait till next year or sooner when i upgrade to 2 or 3 if there out cores

also i know xp only uses 2 cpus if you run a multi cpu motherboard, will it only recognize 1 x2 or can you run two dual cores?

|MaguS|
08-26-05, 11:31 AM
If you install a Dual Core CPU, Windows XP will detect both cores. If what your looking to do is install two Dual Core CPUs, well I don't even think thats possible...

As for the Cell CPU, It will work well for the system. If the current CPU were to be installed on a Desktop PC it would be very slow unless windows and every application is coded specifically for it. It operates completly different from current CPUs.

OWA
08-26-05, 11:37 AM
If you install a Dual Core CPU, Windows XP will detect both cores. If what your looking to do is install two Dual Core CPUs, well I don't even think thats possible...

In one of the latest Maximum PC mags, they build their dream system with two dual-core CPUs.

As far the X2, the system seems a little more responsive when comparing it to my 2nd system.

Edit: Blurb from the mag: "In fact, CPU manufacturers believe that even lowly consumer PCs will be running four-core processors by 2007. We couldn't wait that long, so we grabbed two AMD dual-core Opteron 275s for installation in DMX. That's four 2.2ghz CPU cores -- 8.8ghz of computing power right now, here, boom, in the Maximum PC Lab."

They put the CPUs in a Tyan K8WE S2895 motherboard.

bugmage
08-26-05, 12:22 PM
to bad they dont make pcs, modular in the sense that if you wanted more cpu power, you just clip another add in onto the motherboards hehe, like LEGOS!

TierMann
08-26-05, 01:21 PM
A big diff here since I'm usually running Folding@Home, compiling some code, encoding video or audio, etc. The -j(n) option for gcc compilers is a big boost, as you can do 2 or 3 jobs at once. That about cuts my compile times in half which is good for things that used to take 45mins. For normal windows multi-tasking, it's great too. I havn't had a program stall yet when executing it, because there's usually some of one core left.

Blacklash
08-29-05, 04:41 AM
With multi tasking, as others have said, huge difference. If you play things like MMORPGs that have other things going on at the same time as the game it certainly helps. MMO's for me = firewall, anti virus, good deal of network activity, some hard disk loading, sound card etc etc. Sometimes I will run my browser too.

This chart at Anand shows what happens to FPS when you have a few things going on in addition to the game in the background:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=13

Under multi tasking|gaming conditions an FX-55 there at 2.6 is turning in less than half the FPS of a stock X2 4800.

That said, I'd want an X2 that could do at least 2.4. From what I am seeing most of them do well beyond that. Mine is limited due to my ram choice. This kit just doesn't do much beyond 230, where my old Ballistix(512x2) will take me right up to a solid 2.7 OC.

thor1182
08-29-05, 09:21 AM
An important note when upgrading to an X2: make sure your bios is upto date/ can support the X2.

My board has this retarded thing where you update the bios, but it doesn't really update to the new bios...until you clear the CMOS. My board still had the factory bios on it when I got it back in May/June. When I fired it up after getting the CPU installed it started system beep like crazy (really really annoying) and the CPU came up as an unknown Hammer core. Once I got the CMOS set right (removed the battery for a bit) it detected the CPU.

Also if you use Cool 'n Quiet, you have to uninstall the old version and reinstall the version for the X2, otherwise it won't work right. To uninstall Cool 'n Quiet you go to Add/Remove programs, and not the device manager.

I also noticed my 4800 X2 is a bit picker at what OC it will do compared to my old 4000+ hammer. It could be more of a memory thing though.

SH64
08-29-05, 11:52 AM
Interesting notes there thor. thanks!

ViN86
08-29-05, 01:51 PM
yes, it seems you can run 4 (two dual core cpus) cpus via SMP with windows xp pro
heres the link (http://www.thetechzone.com/articles/preview/winxp/index.shtml) , its a little old (when xp was first released) but it says smp can run dual/quad cpus, heh (had to google hard)

Blacklash
08-30-05, 11:15 PM
An important note when upgrading to an X2: make sure your bios is upto date/ can support the X2.

Definitely and remember some boards even require this for the Venice core I believe. Your best bet with any of the newer AMD CPU's is to make sure you are using the latest BIOS.

When I got my board I had the EPoX SLi BIOS I needed on disk, a bootable floppy, and the latest AMD drivers too. I had SP-2 burned onto a CD. I also had downloaded and burned the latest nForce and forceware drivers. I put my old CPU in flashed the BIOS then replaced it with the X2. I did a reformat on my hard disks, Win XP, SP-2, then my sound card, nForce drivers etc. Haven't had any problems at all.