PDA

View Full Version : Question for SLI owners from someone thinking of going SLI

Ninjaman09
08-26-05, 08:52 AM
I've been considering getting an SLI setup for a little while now and I haven't been able to make up my mind. I've read a lot of benchmarks but I can't tell if they're accurate representations of the kind of performance I can expect to see, or if they're CPU limited. Here's the deal - I have an LCD monitor with a native 1280x1024 resolution, so 1600x1200 is out of the question. I do not plan on replacing the monitor as I am very happy with it. I am however tempted by SLI as the inner geek in me cries out to be on the bleeding edge. Seeing as how eVGA is just giving away SLI mobos that is not an issue; all I need is to buy another eVGA 7800GTX. However, that's still extremely expensive. I want to know if it's worth it so I'd like to see if any of you guys are running on a 1280x1024 resolution and seeing a $550+shipping performance increase over a single 7800GTX. As I said I've read quite a few benchmarks but I find that subjective appraisals of performance can be just as valuable. I am going to be playing Quake 4, F.E.A.R., Oblivion, etc. so I know it's hard to answer my question but if you can help me out, I'd appreciate it. :)

ChrisRay
08-26-05, 09:16 AM
It would allow you to run 8xSAA @ 1280x1024 resolution with very good framerates in just about current title.. You would get satisfactory performance for 4xAA with single 7800GTX. In future games it'll make more of a difference. But I dont see SLI 7800GTX cards running to their full potential at that resolution without higher forms of AA/AF.

In the future. You should have plenty of headroom for not needing to upgrade for a while.

Dr.Nick
08-26-05, 10:31 AM
I dont think you will need SLI at that rez for quite some time. I mean I can run at 1920x1200 4xAA/8xAF in almost all current cames just fine with a single 7800. My advice is to wait until the games that will really tax a single 7800 come out and by then the prices will be much lower for another. I see no reason for you to get one just yet and that is the beauty of sli...you can add another just when you really need it:)

Ninjaman09
08-26-05, 12:01 PM
I dont think you will need SLI at that rez for quite some time. I mean I can run at 1920x1200 4xAA/8xAF in almost all current cames just fine with a single 7800. My advice is to wait until the games that will really tax a single 7800 come out and by then the prices will be much lower for another. I see no reason for you to get one just yet and that is the beauty of sli...you can add another just when you really need it:)
That's totally true, really the main reason I was thinking about it was the free motherboard deal from eVGA (for some reason when I bought a PCI express mobo I got a regular nForce4 instead of SLI :p). But yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for your input guys, I think I'll hold off for a bit.

J-Mag
08-26-05, 12:10 PM

I highly doubt you run BF2 at 1920x1200 4xAA/8xAF at high settings with just one card.

Ninjaman09
08-26-05, 01:01 PM
I highly doubt you run BF2 at 1920x1200 4xAA/8xAF at high settings with just one card.
Same but he does have SLI regardless. I think the point he was making is that the 7800GTX provides plenty of power alone but that it sort of futureproofs your system (which I agree with).

J-Mag
08-26-05, 02:04 PM
Same but he does have SLI regardless. I think the point he was making is that the 7800GTX provides plenty of power alone but that it sort of futureproofs your system (which I agree with).

hmm didn't even look at the sig, I have a pretty similar set-up myself, but i run at 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF with an ocassional dips into the 60fps.

Futureproof doesn't compute in my mind, because for me the 7800GTXs are "current proof" until the next gen product comes out.

Dr.Nick
08-26-05, 04:26 PM

Yeah definitely cant but I did say you can in almost any new game. I was thinkin more in line of HL2 and D3;) Sorry for the confusion

dandano
08-26-05, 05:40 PM

BF2 doesn't support 1920x1200 in either analog or dvi. :(

acrh2
08-26-05, 08:59 PM
I've been considering getting an SLI setup for a little while now and I haven't been able to make up my mind. I've read a lot of benchmarks but I can't tell if they're accurate representations of the kind of performance I can expect to see, or if they're CPU limited. Here's the deal - I have an LCD monitor with a native 1280x1024 resolution, so 1600x1200 is out of the question. I do not plan on replacing the monitor as I am very happy with it. I am however tempted by SLI as the inner geek in me cries out to be on the bleeding edge. Seeing as how eVGA is just giving away SLI mobos that is not an issue; all I need is to buy another eVGA 7800GTX. However, that's still extremely expensive. I want to know if it's worth it so I'd like to see if any of you guys are running on a 1280x1024 resolution and seeing a $550+shipping performance increase over a single 7800GTX. As I said I've read quite a few benchmarks but I find that subjective appraisals of performance can be just as valuable. I am going to be playing Quake 4, F.E.A.R., Oblivion, etc. so I know it's hard to answer my question but if you can help me out, I'd appreciate it. :)

You will definitely need 7800gtx sli for FEAR, Quake4, and Oblivion if you want max graphics options even @ 1280x1024.
I mean, you need 7800gtx sli just for Farcry HDR at that res.