PDA

View Full Version : Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card SB0460

Pages : [1] 2

saweetnesstrev
08-26-05, 04:42 PM
How do i hook this up to my receiver? Digitally? and will it use my receiver speakers? What parts would i need to get? thanks.

AthlonXP1800
08-26-05, 09:00 PM
Wow you got X-Fi early now. :eek: :D

Is your card OEM or retail, if it retail, it should have all the necessary cables to connect to your receiver speakers, if not, you can get the cables from hardware stores or music stores. :)

CaptNKILL
08-26-05, 09:03 PM
Just so you know, unless you use analog surround connections you wont have surround sound except from DVDs. No sound blaster cards have dolby surround encoding for a digital connection.

Other than that, it should work fine whatever way you do it. Digital will probably give you the cleanest sound though.

jAkUp
08-26-05, 09:34 PM
Best Buy has them on the shelves as I speak. However, they do not have tha fatal1ty card yet, so I'm gonna hold off till then...

OWA
08-26-05, 09:55 PM
Best Buy has them on the shelves as I speak. However, they do not have tha fatal1ty card yet, so I'm gonna hold off till then...
Any idea when they're supposed to get the fatal1ty card in?

Rakeesh
08-26-05, 10:10 PM
Hmm...they are really naming the final product fatal1ty? Damn...I hate idjit speak already, and now as a result of this people will be using idjit speak more often.

superklye
08-27-05, 02:44 AM
Yeah, the fata1ity is the $299 card, I think and then there's one step up from that for $399. The name escapes me. I don't know who this fata1ity guy is, but aparently he's hot **** if he got a mobo and soundcard named after him.

saturnotaku
08-27-05, 06:47 AM
He's something like this century's Thresh. I hadn't heard of him either until Abit started releasing those motherboards with his name on them.

jAkUp
08-27-05, 10:38 AM
Yea hes the number one UT2004 player, well, pretty much any FPS, I played him once in a UT2004 match and got my ass handed to me. He knows where every nook and cranny is in a match.

Anyways, I have no clue when BestBuy is gonna get the Fatal1ty cards in stock... hopefully soon...

|JuiceZ|
08-27-05, 11:15 AM
Yea hes the number one UT2004 player, well, pretty much any FPS, I played him once in a UT2004 match and got my ass handed to me. He knows where every nook and cranny is in a match.

Anyways, I have no clue when BestBuy is gonna get the Fatal1ty cards in stock... hopefully soon...

Actually theres a couple german players better than him but ya, he's close to the top. If anything though, he's the #1 Q3 DM player of all time.

Superfly
08-27-05, 11:33 AM

Sadly the UK launch of the Fatal1ty card is on the 14th of September @ 175.00 (ouch)

I dont see the point in this card without the 64Mb RAM so im gonna wait till next year as I REALY need a new Monitor before anything else this year and we've also got some great games comming up which cost 35 each ($59.5 dollers).

Dont you just love UK prices.

saweetnesstrev
08-27-05, 11:45 AM
I havent gotten it yet, i just wanna play my mp3's on it. I use my xbox360 for dvd's and video games.

saweetnesstrev
08-27-05, 11:47 AM
Also, will it make playing my mp3's sound better with the 24 bit crystalizer?

Nutty
08-27-05, 01:01 PM
Read this saweetnesstrev;
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55173&page=2

I'm up in the air about whether products that attempt to fill in the inbetween bits of samples with music actually makes it better or not. I'm sure alot of ppl will say it does sound better, but then some ppl say its all rubbish because it's just filling in the blanks with guestimated stuff.

Given the facts about how we percieve music, I dont think its at all out of the realms of possibility to make music sound better, even if its not technically what the original source was like.

I use DFX music processor in winamp, and it definitly sounds better to me.

jAkUp
08-27-05, 02:43 PM
From everything I have been reading, the card supposily improves the quality of mp3's quite a bit :)

Rakeesh
08-27-05, 03:05 PM
Based on what I have seen of how this card does its sound processing, I think it can possibly make small improvements to MP3 audio (It depends greately on the song being played. Something like classical or opera where the waveforms are simpler it can give an improvement upon, whereas something like grunge, punk, heavy metal, etc, will have no improvement at all.) Many people will probably claim sound improvement where there is none though, namely because it amplifies the gain a bit. This invariably makes the sound more vibrant, but you'll get the same effect if you just turn your volume up.

From what I can see this card will make no improvement at all in game audio, in fact, it'll probably be worse clarity wise than most generic cards due to the way it upconverts then downconverts the audio for its effects. This can be worked around by turning off this card's prize feature; the DSP.

I honestly think that people are going to be paying a high price for a card that doesn't really gain you much if anything. If you are an avid player of e.g. doom 3 and you must have the latest EAX effects, then this card *may* offer a noticeable improvement for you, but definitely not worth $100 (or more) IMHO.

For you guys who just want improved MP3 quality, theres actually a 5 year old mp3 decoding engine called the MAD decoder that I have yet to see any commercial or otherwise mp3 decoder ever top it (although I have yet to hear this new creative card, I kinda doubt it will top the MAD decoder.) If you use winamp, you can easily install this as a plugin:

http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/mad-plugin/

Install that plugin, max out the decoders bitrate to what your DAC can handle (most consumer level cards and home theater systems (for the digital audio users) are 24-bit) and use the waveout plugin for your output plugin for optimum mp3 audio quality.

EDIT: Also FWIW, the "filling in the missing blanks" that I see people repeatedly mention is called interpolation (or at least that is what it sounds like creative is trying to describe.) If you listen to the sample .wav files on the above URL, the difference you hear is a reduction in the background hissing sounds, and this is due in part to interpolation. The missing "blanks" (or where the sound "stairsteps" as it isn't technically a blank) are heard as kind of a tick, and when you reduce those ticks, you get less hissing, scratching, etc, which generally results in more pure sound.

saweetnesstrev
08-27-05, 03:36 PM
So you saying i should stick with my audigy 2,, its OEM and i didnt get cables, what cables from radioshack do i need to hook it up to my receiver?

Rakeesh
08-27-05, 04:19 PM
So you saying i should stick with my audigy 2,, its OEM and i didnt get cables, what cables from radioshack do i need to hook it up to my receiver?

Well, to be honest, creative doesn't make a single card that can do this properly (it *can* connect to it via digital or analog, but you are limited to stereo sound either way.) Not now, nor is one planned. It would need dolby digital live encoding in order to do this.

If your motherboard doesn't already have a soundcard with this feature (many do BTW, such as mine for example) there are two soundcards you can get which will do this:

Nya: http://www.bluegears.com/soundcard_xmystique.html

Or nya: http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/mtgoddl/

The later of which can be found at your local fry's electronics, assuming one is local to you that is. I went there the other day and they were sold out at mine. (the mystique looks like its probably the better of the two though)

CaptNKILL
08-27-05, 06:29 PM
Well, to be honest, creative doesn't make a single card that can do this properly (it *can* connect to it via digital or analog, but you are limited to stereo sound either way.) Not now, nor is one planned. It would need dolby digital live encoding in order to do this.

Technically, you can rig up some recievers for analog surround, but its exactly that, rigging.
Some have 5.1 channel analog inputs (RCA jacks) that are normally used for external DVD decoders. With Y splitter RCA to minijack cables you can turn the 6 connections on the reciever into 3 mini jack connections that will hook right into your sound card's front, rear and center\sub connections.
I've never done it personally, but I've read about it quite a few different places online. Its a good alternative for people who have a good reciever and a good soundcard with no DDL support.

Elderblaze
08-27-05, 08:42 PM
Aye capt, though i don't have a reciever, your solution was immeidatly understandable to me, and I always figured that's how you'd hook up a soundcard to a reciever to begin with.. I don't see what th big deal is, you might lose a tiny bit of fiedlity when the sound has to go through the receivers DAC's and the Soundcard Dac's but I don't imagine it would be anything huge. Seems like it would be possible to rig Miniplug to bare speakerwire too, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

And alpha you make alot of guesses without actually hearing the product, no matter how educated the guess is it's only a guess. Think you'd actually try to sample one before you make such bold statements.

saweetnesstrev
08-27-05, 09:06 PM
Maybe i should just use the xbox360 as my cd player :D

Rakeesh
08-27-05, 09:32 PM
Aye capt, though i don't have a reciever, your solution was immeidatly understandable to me, and I always figured that's how you'd hook up a soundcard to a reciever to begin with.. I don't see what th big deal is, you might lose a tiny bit of fiedlity when the sound has to go through the receivers DAC's and the Soundcard Dac's but I don't imagine it would be anything huge.

Aside from the fact that there actually is quite a difference in audio quality alone when you compare the two side by side (practically night and day difference,) that isn't the only issue. One of the bigger reasons that HT setups use digital audio for surround is to prevent the channels from bleeding together because analog surround needs a hell of a lot more cables than analog stereo (you don't really notice a loss in audio quality from this, but the overall "effect" of the surround sound is reduced.)

And alpha you make alot of guesses without actually hearing the product, no matter how educated the guess is it's only a guess. Think you'd actually try to sample one before you make such bold statements.

Well, I don't have $300 to waste on a sound card that I am fairly certain wont perform as well as they claim. Besides, creative kinda has a reputation for overhyping their cards. In fact they were sued for it once.

Kinda like how apple had that campaign going for "worlds fastest PC," and many mac fans were reviewing it in agreement that it was the worlds fastest PC, only the fact of the matter was that it wasn't the worlds fastest PC. You don't necessarily have to buy one to determine that.

It would be nice to be proven wrong though, as it pretty much feels as if in the last 6 years, PC soundcards haven't gone anywhere. After A3D and synthesized MIDI became common, we didn't get squat afterwards, the only exception being DDL which is kinda moot because it's hard to find soundcards that actually have it. A change from that would definitely be good.

CaptNKILL
08-27-05, 10:22 PM
Well, I don't have $300 to waste on a sound card that I am fairly certain wont perform as well as they claim. Besides, creative kinda has a reputation for overhyping their cards. In fact they were sued for it once.

Kinda like how apple had that campaign going for "worlds fastest PC," and many mac fans were reviewing it in agreement that it was the worlds fastest PC, only the fact of the matter was that it wasn't the worlds fastest PC. You don't necessarily have to buy one to determine that.

It would be nice to be proven wrong though, as it pretty much feels as if in the last 6 years, PC soundcards haven't gone anywhere. After A3D and synthesized MIDI became common, we didn't get squat afterwards, the only exception being DDL which is kinda moot because it's hard to find soundcards that actually have it. A change from that would definitely be good.
I have to agree. Ive had many MANY different sound cards and integrated chips over the years and I have yet to notice any significant difference in any of them. The real crappy low end 2 channel AC97 chips sounded bad, but they had the same features as most of the others. I can name a few of them, but there have been more... Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 "SuperQuad", Sound Blaster Live! Value 5.1, Turtle Beach SantaCruz, Yamaha XG POS BSOD Edition ;), 4 or 5 integrated chips...

The only one that really stands out to me is the Soundstorm chip on my nforce 2 system. Obviously because it can encode signals. It gave me an analog dolby pro logic encoded singal so I could get surround sound (however crappy it was...) through a single minijack on my 11 year old reciever. My brother uses the same chip to get dolby digital surround on his relatively new Sony HTIB setup through optical SPDIF.

I wish someone would make a card that had a nice set of environmental audio features (EAX), excelent hardware sound support for games, good drivers AND digital encoding of some sort. Soundstorm had most of those (though it could have had more EAX support) but sadly, its gone unless you want to use an Athlon XP.

All soundblasters are obviously lacking in some of those areas, where as I havent heard of ANY other cards (even the ones that have DDL) that are as good for gaming.

Nvidia should buy Creative's soundcard division and create a SoundBlaster\SoundStorm hybrid card ;)

Nutty
08-27-05, 10:27 PM
Totally agree with both of you. I've only had my new setup for a few weeks and I miss my SoundStorm already. Currently using optical spdif in stereo mode, just to avoid the crappy RAMDAC on the mobo.

I wish NV would release SoundStorm II as a standalone card. If it had proper DDL encoding and was fast I'd buy it straight away.

Elderblaze
08-28-05, 03:02 AM
The prices are 129$, 199$$, 279$, and 399$. No one said you had to buy the 279$ card. I've just got the 129$ version. Creative does overhype their products but then again many do. Im sure you'll have a friend come along pretty soon that will have one and you can give it a listen. Im not one to buy into bull**** hype, I read the Digit-Life review before my purchase and knew exactly what I was getting, that said I was still pretty shocked by the differnce. Was quite more then I was expecting. Alot of it has to do with how good CMSS is, and Crystalizer, though some won't like Crystalizer, I think it's a bit silly to judge it before you've heard it.

Even with all special features disabled the card is noticably clearer and cleaner with more pronouced bass. (not bloated or boomy). This is noticable in all applications, mostly music listening, but also DVD and Gaming. Bestbuy has a decent return policy you could always buy one and take it back if You don't like it. I will admit this card is not aimed at people who use recievers. I don't use a reciever so it's got no effect on me, but those of you dou I would whole heartedly agree your far better off with somthing that has DDL. You'll get no argument from me on that, Im not so sure it's fair to dock X-Fi for this when it was clearly never intended or designed with this in mind. I use Headphones and Promedia 5.1's. Sure the Promedia's are not hi-fi, but they sound better then most HTiB's and many car systems.

Regards,
Mike