PDA

View Full Version : 3ms response TFT's - worth the massive cost?

Superfly
08-27-05, 11:38 AM
Im after a new screen in the January sales/post xmas.

is a 3ms screen really that much better than a 8ms one??

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx924/

XTREME PERFORMANCE WITH ASTOUNDING, INDUSTRY-LEADING 3MS VIDEO RESPONSE TIME for smooth, broadcast-quality, full-motion video. ViewSonic's innovative Dynamic Structure™ and Amplified Impulse™ technologies combine to replace blurs and ghosts with pure, vibrant, absolutely clear images. GAMING, VIDEOS AND GRAPHIC-INTENSIVE APPLICATIONS HAVE NEVER LOOKED BETTER.
XTREME 3ms video response enables digital HD broadcast-quality full motion video.

what do you guys think - does anyone have this screen yet??

thanks.

gram_vaz
08-27-05, 11:47 AM
err, viewsonic is known to stretch the truth. i wouldn't trust their response time specs. 3ms is just the response time of their fastest color change. they don't give you the average response time for all color changes like others like samsung do.

also, blurrring stops at 16ms. i'd be more concerned in getting an 8-bit color panel as many manufactuers have to use 6-bit color panels to achieve low response times. the difference between 6-bit and 8-bit is minimal but it's still there in the darker shades of colors.

subbo
08-27-05, 03:56 PM
Having purchased a 4ms viewsonic panel for my brothers work desktop I can say thats BS untill you see it yourself. The 4ms panel has noticeable ghosting in fast moving games, especially black lines moving against a white background leave a long streak.

Rakeesh
08-27-05, 04:13 PM
I think 3ms gonna file a trademark suit :D

Red_Shift
08-27-05, 04:21 PM
the difference between 6-bit and 8-bit is minimal but it's still there in the darker shades of colors.
I think you're right, my samsung 710N is 6-bit (i think) and it's not very good on darker shades of colors. As for response time it's great and it's just tagged as 12ms, I have no ghosting at all.

Rakeesh
08-27-05, 04:33 PM
After I first tried my current monitor, I instantly prefered that extra bit of image quality over the lower response times of 6-bit screens. Sure, 8-bit screens are a bit slower to respond, but when you can actually see everything (be it very dark or very light) clearly without having to adjust the brightness, the advantages so outweigh the losses.

Superfly
08-27-05, 05:35 PM
your talking about contrast to brighness ratio right?? - im sure 8ms with 700:1 ratio will be just fine with all shades - dark or light.

correct me if im wrong - preferably with something to back it up as I wont be making a purchase until January.

im VERY reluctant to buy a 12ms screen - the Samsung 8ms screens have a 700:1 ratio so im gonna go with that.

gram_vaz
08-27-05, 05:40 PM
no, not contrast. color depth is a different thing. many manufacturers use 6bit panels to achieve a low response time. this makes darker shades of colors look weird. if you care about iq you're best off sacrificing response time to get a 8bit panel. blurring stops at 16ms so a 16ms 8bit panel would be nice. just get one from a quality brand like samsung or benq.

Rampant CL
09-01-05, 05:42 AM
your talking about contrast to brighness ratio right?? - im sure 8ms with 700:1 ratio will be just fine with all shades - dark or light.

correct me if im wrong - preferably with something to back it up as I wont be making a purchase until January.

im VERY reluctant to buy a 12ms screen - the Samsung 8ms screens have a 700:1 ratio so im gonna go with that.

Were you looking at the samsun 91x Series perchance? The 913T is the same panel as the Hyundai L90D+, and thats had some amazingly glowing reviews on newegg.

coldpower27
09-01-05, 04:32 PM
Hmm 8Bit Color Panels have reached 16ms response rates now??? That's cool if true, last I checked they were at 20ms.

It's too bad with the emphasis on performance we get these 6 Bit Panels, which are much faster but sacrifice color range. They claim they can sort of make the other colors thru how fast they are or something...

kam03
09-02-05, 06:55 AM
I have an NEC 2080UX+ LCD @ 16ms. I dont see any trails or ghosting what so ever. Ive tested it on counter strike, bf2 and ut2004. I have even compared it with my 21" ProNition CRT side by side (professional monitor for animation and 3D applications) and i can tell you there is no trails or ghosting.

http://www.************/read.php?cID=427

saturnotaku
09-02-05, 10:07 AM
The 12 ms LCD I have must use a 6-bit panel. I've looked at some 8-bit displays and I can asbolutely see a difference between the two. I can't complain too loudly as I got a really great price on my current monitor, but the next time I upgrade, an 8-bit panel will be a higher priority than finding the lowest resopnse times.