PDA

View Full Version : Woot F.E.A.R support dual core!!!!!

overheat
08-27-05, 06:25 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/24/city_villains_fear_dual_core/

retsam
08-27-05, 06:39 PM
wow thats great news! i wonder if this is gonna work under dual core amd? also i wonder how it utilized dual core? does it use the first core for game code and use the second core for physics? ....

Edge
08-27-05, 07:01 PM
That's cool, nice to see that games are starting to come out that take advantage of the technology. Although for FEAR, it doesn't really seem all that useful since the game is almost entirely GPU limited anyway, but hey, more hardware support is always welcome!

Greg
08-27-05, 09:07 PM
Sorry to be a damper, but I've developed software before that boasted about using new hardware features for various big, unnamed, companies. The actual benefit to the user is often, exagerated, or goes without saying. For example, if Intel was the company, we could boast 'runs better with MMX' or such, which is a half truth because a) the CPU that just introduces MMX is faster than previos models anyway b) the video/sound driver uses MMX code so you get some benefit from that. The product itself may use little or none of this feature. A duel core machine may give you a speed increase simply because the OS, using 0-2% cpu, the sound and network drivers, now benefit due to existing threading. The final product may implement a 'special' feature like some particle effect that uses an extra thread and draws a few more sparks. More so, the sponsor sometimes requests artificial barriers such as degraded performance on competitors hardware or unfeatured hardware to dramatize the effect. Recall the recent '64bit enhanced' games. So once again, I appologize for crashing the party, but a reality check is often good to keep expectations realistic. Having said all that, future software will need to use this particular feature, to benefit from parallel rather than higher clocked hardware.

jAkUp
08-27-05, 10:56 PM
I wonder if the demo supports multiCPU...

jolle
08-27-05, 11:55 PM
the bottleneck hardly seems to be the CPU at highest settings.
still nice to have the support tho.