PDA

View Full Version : Does one really need Reforce with forceware drivers?

acrh2
08-27-05, 10:07 PM
I have switched from ATI, where I *had* to use Refresh Force, to 7800gtx. Do I still have to use Refresh Force, or is there a way to make 3d apps (like quake3) always start at the refresh rate that I want?
Thanks.

OWA
08-27-05, 10:17 PM
I still use it. Nvidia had a refresh rate override menu at one point but it had some issues so I think they disabled it. You can still turn it on but I'm not sure if it works.

Edit: Try this thread in the driver section:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55593

PNY7800GTX
08-27-05, 10:23 PM
I have switched from ATI, where I *had* to use Refresh Force, to 7800gtx. Do I still have to use Refresh Force, or is there a way to make 3d apps (like quake3) always start at the refresh rate that I want?
Thanks.

You haven't had to use reforce in ATI drivers for along time now. The setting has been in the CP for quite awhile, anyways - use NVtweak to enable the refresh options however nvidia pulled this CP because it can cause large performance drops.

j0j081
08-28-05, 08:36 AM
You haven't had to use reforce in ATI drivers for along time now. The setting has been in the CP for quite awhile, anyways - use NVtweak to enable the refresh options however nvidia pulled this CP because it can cause large performance drops.
how does it cause performance drops? i still have in in my cp but i have coolbits installed if it makes a dif...

acrh2
08-28-05, 10:58 AM
I evenabled it Refresh Rate Overrides in forceware control panel via coolbits. And I'm happy to report that there are no peformance hits using overrides. However, when enabled refresh rate overrides doesn't work either. It just doesn't override any refresh rates. What gives?

WimpMiester
08-28-05, 11:26 AM
I always use NVIDIA's Refresh Rate Override option and never had a problem. I think it may depend on your monitor for the resaults you get. I use a 21" Trinitron display with refresh rates from 640x480@150Hz to 2048x1536@75Hz and never seen a performance hit for using it.

OWA
08-28-05, 12:31 PM
I'm not totally sure about this and I don't want to search for it but I think the issue was setting refresh rates above 85hz. In that case, it would cut your framerates in half or something like that. Setting the refresh rate to 85hz or less, I think it would work correctly.

PNY7800GTX
08-28-05, 03:06 PM
I'm not totally sure about this and I don't want to search for it but I think the issue was setting refresh rates above 85hz. In that case, it would cut your framerates in half or something like that. Setting the refresh rate to 85hz or less, I think it would work correctly.

Thats with vsync enabled and no triple buffering (you lose half the fps if it cannot maintain that level of FPS / refresh) - a different problem entirely.

I'm not the one that said performance was affected by the refresh override tab, thats the whole reason NV hid it when the 70 series came around. I was using ATI at the time - Im sure someone else here can confirm this, I'm not sure if it's an issue anymore - either way you will still want to force refresh either via driver CP using coolbits, reg fix or nvtweak or reforce.

Search the forums for more info -

where is refresh override
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44367&highlight=refresh+override+performance

Refresh rate locking menu disappeared in 71.20's?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43920&highlight=refresh+override+performance

More results -
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=321550

OWA
08-28-05, 03:24 PM
Thats with vsync enabled and no triple buffering (you lose half the fps if it cannot maintain that level of FPS / refresh) - a different problem entirely.

I realize that is how vsync works but I wasn't talking about vsync, I was talking about the refresh rate. I thought I remembered the refresh rate override bug being that it would cut your framerates in half (or lower performance anyway) if you used a setting over 85hz. People were setting the refresh rate to 100hz and seeing their performance plummet. As far as I remember, it wasn't dependent on vsync being on (i.e. people that had it set to 100hz and had vsync off were still getting low performance). I never had the issue and the override settings worked fine for me b/c I never use any refresh rates over 85hz. Not too long after that started happening though, the option got disabled. Like I said though, I'm just trying to recall what I remembered seeing posted and it was quite a while ago.

acrh2
08-28-05, 08:21 PM
well people. add this to your collection of bugs. refresh rate overrides in forceware 77.77 doesn't work with 2xbfg7800gtx sli.
right now using rivatuner, works ok but not every time.

Nutty
08-28-05, 08:25 PM
I use the refresh rate over-rider in Forceware, works perfect for me.

acrh2
08-29-05, 09:48 AM
I use the refresh rate over-rider in Forceware, works perfect for me.

That's because you don't have 7800gtx sli. Luser! :)