PDA

View Full Version : San Andreas Strange Texture behavior

Daneel Olivaw
08-28-05, 11:02 AM
I've removed through nHancer all SLI profiles. I'm running a 6800LE, no unlock.

These screens were taken with AA level 3 ingame. When I'm far enough or close enough from a building, everything is fine.

But at a certain distance, when there is mist at night I see this flickering, on mountains and buildings. (look at the windows on the middle right building)

subbo
08-28-05, 02:22 PM
Firstly, thats not strange at all, its normal z-buffer/depth inaccuracy on nvidia cards. To save ram on the PS2 those windows are just polygon faces overlaid on the normal lightless building and in the distance the polygons will start to intersect. This same thing happens on the xbox version.

Try the High Quality setting or switch to ATI ;)

Daneel Olivaw
08-28-05, 03:45 PM
Already on HQ. I'll try to tinker with z-buffer settings.

CaptNKILL
08-28-05, 04:00 PM
Firstly, thats not strange at all, its normal z-buffer/depth inaccuracy on nvidia cards. To save ram on the PS2 those windows are just polygon faces overlaid on the normal lightless building and in the distance the polygons will start to intersect. This same thing happens on the xbox version.

Try the High Quality setting or switch to ATI ;)
Heh, I had ZBuffer problems with my 9600 Pro (and any other card I have owned), so its not an Nvidia only thing ;)

PNY7800GTX
08-28-05, 04:03 PM
Keep in mind it's a port, so things are not always perfect. I stopped paying attention to the graphics in GTA and just enjoy the gameplay. The graphics are a far cry from HL2 or FarCry but the gameplay is just so damn addictive!!

Daneel Olivaw
08-28-05, 04:15 PM
Keep in mind it's a port, so things are not always perfect. I stopped paying attention to the graphics in GTA and just enjoy the gameplay. The graphics are a far cry from HL2 or FarCry but the gameplay is just so damn addictive!!I might be wrong but I don't recall having these issues on my 5900xt.

gram_vaz
08-28-05, 04:21 PM
yea, those are z-buffer errors. i had them in eve online and vampire bloodlines. switching to the 66.93(this driver rox, most stable driver nvidia has made to date) driver got rid of it. be sure your at high quality and all optimizations are off.

i think sometimes it's not due to the driver but to the way the game is coded. you'll get z-buffer errors on nearly any platform. i've even seen them on ps2 games. on the pc different drivers and optimizations you have on in the driver panel seem to affect z-buffer errors. but like i said sometimes it's just because of the game engine and nothing you can do about it.

Daneel Olivaw
08-28-05, 04:34 PM
cool, thanks for the help!