PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6600 cant do dual monitors? Help!

maxxed
08-28-05, 04:13 PM
Card Model: Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP2
Problem: Cannot do dual display!

The video card is a Nvidia Geforce 6600. It has two outputs, one for regular VGA and one for DVI. I have two monitors, both with VGA, and have attached both to the video card (one with a vga-dvi connector).

For some reason, it isnt showing up in windows as supporting dual screens. Usually, in the display control panel it shows up and you can choose how to lay out the screens. When booting up, only one screen is working.

Im 'supposed' to see a setting in GeForce 6600 properties called 'nView Display Settings' but I dont have this menu?

Ive already tried upgrading to Gigabytes latest drivers and Nvidias latest (theyre the same). Im now at my wits end? Any clues on what Ive done wrong here?

The funny part about it is this as follows. I have two monitors, a 17" and 18" Phillips.

a. If I plug both monitors in, only the 18" LCD will work.
b. If I switch the connectors (one always uses the dvi adapter), then STILL only the 18" LCD will work.
c. If I remove the 18" connector from the card, then the 17" will work.

So this should imply that the card is working, I really am confused about the a-b-c above. I hope someone can offer some help...

ricercar
08-28-05, 06:28 PM
One possible explanation is that Gigabyte didn't use the reference design, instead connecting the DVI and VGA to the same GPU port, and only the SVideo gives nView.

Do you have a SVideo out port to test? If you have a SVideo display to verify things, you may find that you get DVI+SVideo or VGA+SVideo, but never DVI+VGA.

Usually an OEM connects DVI to one GPU port and VGA to another, and shares one port with SVideo. However, if your card shares the DVI and VGA on the same hardware port, then you'll never be able to get nView with these two connectors. The hardware implementation chosen by Gigabyte for this particlar card might not support it, even thought the 6600 GPU does.. :-(

maxxed
08-28-05, 11:01 PM
One possible explanation is that Gigabyte didn't use the reference design, instead connecting the DVI and VGA to the same GPU port, and only the SVideo gives nView. (

That does likely seem to be the best explanation here, BUT:

How does that explain why, no matter which connector (DVI or VGA) the 18" is connected to, that is the Screen that displays? The 17" only works when the 18" is not connected?

How would the card know any better? Can it identify screens by the cabling?

maxxed
08-29-05, 01:01 AM
I tried your suggestion and got Dual Monitors working with the S-Video output.

I had to 'force detect' TV, and after rebooting, the second screen (S-Video) appears, which in turn released access to the 'NView Display Settings'. All this while, all three connectors were being used (VGA, DVI and Svideo).

Nview display settings only allows Analog + TV, it doesnt show Analog + Analog or Analog + DVI!

I guess that implies your suggestion was correct? Im really suprised by this, taking it back to the store is really a difficult option for me...