PDA

View Full Version : Tests/things to do to get a hard drive HOT

superklye
08-28-05, 09:16 PM
Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to test and see just how hot I could get my hard drive, or rather, how hot it gets during strenuous activities in order to see if I should go about getting some sort of cooling solution.

The tests I've come up with are:
Burning a DVD (using files on the drive)
Transfering large files/large number of files to another drive
Playing a game with a long HDD load time (F.E.A.R. demo and FarCry specifically)

And, as I was typing this, another occured to me: installing a game/program.

However, in the first three tests, my drive never got hotter than 35C, which is what it idles at. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to really get those platters a-spinnin'?

FierceDeityLink
08-28-05, 09:23 PM
Do some video editing and then defragment.

Nutty
08-28-05, 09:23 PM
Run HD Tach for ages.. that'll get it warmed up.
http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

zoomy942
08-28-05, 09:25 PM
try disk check.. and make it look for erros and bad sectros, that way it has to check all parts of the platter. and defrag. if your drive is fragged out, itll get it working

Roadhog
08-28-05, 09:42 PM
format it...

einstein_314
08-28-05, 09:46 PM
umm...put it in an oven... :p

betterdan
08-28-05, 09:59 PM
Show it your pecker. Just make sure it is either female or gay though. ;)

superklye
08-28-05, 10:13 PM
Show it your pecker. Just make sure it is either female or gay though. ;)
The word "childish" keeps springing to mind... :rolleyes2

Everyone else, thanks for your help. :) Formatting it is kind of out of the question as I have no way of monitoring the temperatures if the HDD is being formatted. The only drive that I can currently transfer files to is my Dell Pocket DJ since my 2x160GB drives are officially dead and money is too tight to order another hard drive. So the only HDD I have right now is the 60GB that Windows is installed on.

zoomy942
08-28-05, 10:58 PM
run the windows disk checker

jAkUp
08-29-05, 02:53 AM
Just run a defrag in safe mode :)

j0j081
08-29-05, 05:40 AM
what is too hot for a hard drive? I see mine as high as 42.

betterdan
08-29-05, 07:59 AM
The word "childish" keeps springing to mind... :rolleyes2

Your ass is still burning from that other thread? You sure seem like a sensitive little guy, come on relax it's called a joke.

superklye
08-29-05, 09:44 AM
I don't know what too hot is...I would assume anything above 50C since I've never seen a drive get that hot.

ViN86
08-29-05, 11:39 AM
they make programs that will totally wipe the drive and write 0's to every part of the disk. that should heat it up nicely. i got a program like that with my maxtor drive, wish i could remember the name of it :o

superklye
08-29-05, 11:46 AM
they make programs that will totally wipe the drive and write 0's to every part of the disk. that should heat it up nicely. i got a program like that with my maxtor drive, wish i could remember the name of it :o
Right, but once again: this is the only drive I have and if I wipe it clean, I have no way of finding out how hot it actually is.

Rakeesh
08-29-05, 12:59 PM
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a hard drive would ever get hotter or colder based on usage. When hard drives aren't off or in standby mode, the platters are constantly spinning at the top speed. The only thing that will change when data is being read or written (even if it is lots of data that spans wildly varying physical locations on the disk) is the position of the drive heads, which don't move very much even when going from the very beginning of the disk to the very end.

The only things on the hard drive that I could picture getting hot with intensive usage is maybe the cache memory chips or the controller chips, but even those don't get very hot.

That not even considered though, I don't really see any need for a hard disk cooler. I guess since companies make these things and people buy them, there must be some kind of need, but I have never run into it myself. I have also yet to own a hard drive that has died on me.

If you are really concerned about the heat on say a 10k RPM hard drive, I would say that provided you have at least one outward blowing fan located on the opposite side of your case as the hard drive, you should be fine. My current case has two outward blowing fans located on the back, and two inward blowing fans located on the front, blowing directly on the hard drives, and even that is overkill IMO, but it just happens to be the way my case was designed (all 5 fans on this thing came stock installed from the factory.)

ViN86
08-29-05, 02:40 PM
Right, but once again: this is the only drive I have and if I wipe it clean, I have no way of finding out how hot it actually is.
my bad, read the first post and my mind jumped right to this program i had.

i would get a full dvd data disc (the whole 4.7 GB worth) and then copy it to the hard drive then erase and repeat. that should heat it up.