PDA

View Full Version : Does SLI work well in all games?

Maverickman
08-28-05, 10:18 PM
I'm going to be getting a new computer with two 7800 GTX cards running in SLI. I've never been a big fan of OEMs, but I'm getting an XPS 600. I would normally build my own computer, but it would cost me more than ordering this one from Dell. Also, I've never dealt with SLI before, so I didn't want to take the chance. I really want an Alienware with the Athlon 64 X2, but it would cost a LOT more money.

Will most games work that much better with SLI? I've heard that it works better with some games than others. Also, the newer games like Doom III and HL2 seem to benefit the most. How is the picture quality? My system's CPU will be underpowered with a P4 3.6GHz, but it's still better than a Pentium D at 3.0GHz.

NightFire
08-28-05, 10:35 PM
In general, you'll definently be getting a noticeable performance boost, especially in shader intensive games. It'll run Doom 3 at 16x12, ultra quality with an average fps of 87, and Chronicles of Riddick at 16x12 with softshadows at an impressive 47 fps. I'm not too sure if driver compatibility is still an issue or not with SLI these days, so you probably don't have to worry about it too much. As for quality, I have no clue.

(Note: I'm not too knowledgable in this area, so all information may not be guaranteed accurate.)

gram_vaz
08-28-05, 10:44 PM
from what i've read there are rare occasions where SLI will have compatability problems and the performance increase can vary game to game. the big advantage in SLI is being able to game at high resolutions with high aa/af.

SH64
08-28-05, 11:13 PM
Yes SLI is getting much much better than before. i can safely say that most (approx 90%) of my games are running SLI & its doing very well & improving considerably.

Scott@Bjorn3D
08-29-05, 08:22 AM
The big thing with SLI with 7800 cards is have a fast CPU. Even at 1600x1200 with AA and AF on you need a good CPU to keep the cards busy.

You should really enjoy the system. I am getting one to review soon and with talking with my Dell guy the thing is very quiet.

acrh2
08-29-05, 10:42 AM
Most games run with SLI. And in most games, you will see up to 100% fps increase (speaking from experience here). However, some games do not like it. Example: Dungeon Siege 2. In this game, SLI gives a nice 80-100% fps boost with settings like 4xAA, 16xAF, gamma correct and transparency antialiasing (SSAA). But, the game randomly crashes when SLI is enabled (every 10-15 min). The only way to get it rock stable was to disable SLI completely in the drivers (required reboot).