PDA

View Full Version : Sweet!!! SLI will support mismatched cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skoprowski
08-29-05, 10:10 AM
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODA4LDQ=

I wonder if I can get a 7800GT to work with one of my 6800GTs then? :eek: or I wonder if it will be limited to the same "series" of cards-6xxx SLI with any 6xxx card- 7xxx SLI with any 7xxx card.

Ratchet
08-29-05, 10:32 AM
I think that might mean mismatched as, for example, using any manufactures 7800GTX with any other manufacturers 7800GTX. Not the ideal way of pairing a 7800GTX to a 7800GT or a 6-series card.

skoprowski
08-29-05, 10:45 AM
We'll see, but the tone of HardOCP's article suggests it means more than that. I remember ATI stating you could run different cards with Crossfire such as a X800XL with a X850- so I wouldn't be suprised if Nvidia will allow the same thing in response to ATI's Crossfire.

BrianG
08-29-05, 10:58 AM
We'll see, but the tone of HardOCP's article suggests it means more than that. I remember ATI stating you could run different cards with Crossfire such as a X800XL with a X850- so I wouldn't be suprised if Nvidia will allow the same thing in response to ATI's Crossfire.
I have a feeling that mismatched cards will only work with SFR. Features will be limited to the lowest common denominator, so things like Transparency AA will not work when blending 6800 and 7800, for example. However, to get a GT now and add a GTX when they get cheaper would be a shot in the arm.

We'll see and I tend to think the first iteration of mixed card will be different manufacturers. IE, the ability for SLI to ignore the BIOS, but the cards have to be the same GPUs. The real trick here, as I have learned from my recent dual-core experiences of trying to get UT2003 stable, is synchronization. SFR is probably better equipped to run asynchronous, load balancing portions of the frame until there is equilibrium. The next update will be different GPUs from the same series, ie 800GT and an Ultra or 7800GT and a GTX. Next up will be the wild card SLI.

I wonder if they are applying knowledge gained from writing multi-threaded drivers?

Just thinking out loud on a Monday...

GlowStick
08-29-05, 11:00 AM
No. Mainly what they are talking about is the video card bios and therefore you can use diffrent mfg's video cards of the same type (eg 7800GTX) together.

From what info was released I belive your wrong about the XL and the X850 also. But the master card for a specific chip works with any other card of the same type. Therefore you can use any card you previously have for CrossFire, just buy the correct master card.

BrianG
08-29-05, 11:17 AM
No. Mainly what they are talking about is the video card bios and therefore you can use diffrent mfg's video cards of the same type (eg 7800GTX) together.

From what info was released I belive your wrong about the XL and the X850 also. But the master card for a specific chip works with any other card of the same type. Therefore you can use any card you previously have for CrossFire, just buy the correct master card.
IIRC, ATI originally leaked that CrossFire was very flexible allowing for any secondary with a master card. That changed to any series to series match, ie x800XL to x800XT CF, x850XT to x850XT CF. I think it was Anand that mentioned that currently the drivers are limited to matching cards in their preview. Time to read up and reacquaint as the release is pending according to the financial conference calls.

But yeah, I get the feeling the first step is eVGA and BFG playing nice in SLI with out flashing BIOSes, etc.

SH64
08-29-05, 12:35 PM
I think that might mean mismatched as, for example, using any manufactures 7800GTX with any other manufacturers 7800GTX. Not the ideal way of pairing a 7800GTX to a 7800GT or a 6-series card.

My thoughts exactly. most likely they are talking about matching different brands not models.
its still a good thing though!

J-Mag
08-29-05, 12:51 PM
This is great news for users that plan to upgrade to an additional graphics card as they are no longer limited to buying the exact same model.

Sure sounds to me like different types of cards, otherwise they would have said brand or manufacturer or something like that.

rohit
08-29-05, 05:40 PM
am intrested in looking at 68U + 68GT

NightFire
08-29-05, 05:48 PM
I thought cards from different manufacturers already worked together. Or, at least one article I found does:

nVidia’s SLI will only work if both cards used are the same model and SLI compatible; this means that you will either need two GeForce 6800 Ultras, two GeForce 6800 GTs or two GeForce 6800s. The current SLI range of board covers all cards from 6600 to 7800. This limitation however, does not extend to the manufacturer so even cards made by different manufacturers should work fine together as long as they are the same model. nVidia does recommend though that the cards originate from the same manufacturer...

If the above is true, I'd think that would mean nVidia would allow same generation mismatching.

Rakeesh
08-29-05, 06:30 PM
Or aside from mixmatching brands, possibly mixmatching vram capacities of the cards.

AthlonXP1800
08-30-05, 01:51 AM

Kyle from HardOCP confirmed (http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028176636&postcount=12) the new Foreceware 80 driver will have mixed cards support very soon.

Edit: Link now fixed. :p

FraGTastiK
08-30-05, 06:33 AM
Kyle from HardOCP confirmed the new Foreceware 80 driver will have mixed cards support very soon

link is broken...

fixed now thx.

Graphicmaniac
08-30-05, 11:16 AM
would be wonderful :)

a 6600 256mb today
and a 7600 next year :)