PDA

View Full Version : Audio, mouse stuttering with new hard drive

Starscream
12-25-02, 09:33 PM
I just got a new WD 80 gig with 8 megs of cache and a promise ata 100 controller. Ever since reinstalling everything on the new hard drive I've been getting all sorts of stuttering. It's strange I can't watch any kind of video or audio without getting really annoying stuttering. Even just moving my mouse around is really jumpy at times.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem may be?

specs:
Tualatin Celeron 1.3@1612
Asus CUBX
384 megs of sd ram
Western Digital JB800
Promise Ultra TX2
SB Live Value
Prophet 4500 video
OS - Win 2k w/SP3 and all the latest updates
also newest promise drivers for ata 100 card and newest drivers for all other hardware

FastM
12-25-02, 10:26 PM
its probably has nothing to do with it but in your Bios is Plug and Play OS set to yes or no? Have you ever tried either one?

I to am having stuttering for the first time with mp3's and thats one of the only things iv'e done differently since my last format.

Starscream
12-25-02, 10:29 PM
It's set to yes, I haven't bothered changing it seeing as 2k is plug and play os. heh just noticed I left out my os and driver info, editing that in now.

zsynth
12-25-02, 10:40 PM
UNPLUG PLUG AND PRAY:
http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

"Therefore, this UPnP service should simply be turned off by default and only activated when it is actually needed by the end user. "

Starscream
12-25-02, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by zsynth
UNPLUG PLUG AND PRAY:
http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

"Therefore, this UPnP service should simply be turned off by default and only activated when it is actually needed by the end user. "

Universal plug and play is NOT what is being talked about.

http://upnp.org/about/default.asp#technology

Greg
12-26-02, 03:57 AM
Plug your mouse into the PS/2 port, don't use the USB and you will be fine.

Also, install correct motherboard drivers and enable UDMA in BIOS and Windows. This will reduce the effect and eliminate HDD blocking stalls throughout windows use.

styles-T
12-26-02, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Greg
Plug your mouse into the PS/2 port, don't use the USB and you will be fine.

Also, install correct motherboard drivers and enable UDMA in BIOS and Windows. This will reduce the effect and eliminate HDD blocking stalls throughout windows use.

I was getting studerring sound on my HD and CD player..I had to lower my UDMA settings..ALI Magik drivers for my Asus A7V266 were maxing out my UDMA settings too UDMA66 on my DVD player causing errors and studdering across the board (even on my hard drive when I wasnt even using the DVD player)..I had to change my UDMA settings with an ALI IDE Mode utility..I lowered my DVD Rom to UDMA 33 and all was fine??

Only in win2k and XP tho..

The Baron
12-26-02, 10:10 AM
What's on the chain?

Starscream
12-26-02, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Greg
Plug your mouse into the PS/2 port, don't use the USB and you will be fine. Also, install correct motherboard drivers and enable UDMA in BIOS and Windows. This will reduce the effect and eliminate HDD blocking stalls throughout windows use.

I'm using a ps/2 mouse. Also the board uses the 440bx chipset, the correct drivers are installed by 2k.

Originally posted by !plonk*
I was getting studerring sound on my HD and CD player..I had to lower my UDMA settings..ALI Magik drivers for my Asus A7V266 were maxing out my UDMA settings too UDMA66 on my DVD player causing errors and studdering across the board (even on my hard drive when I wasnt even using the DVD player)..I had to change my UDMA settings with an ALI IDE Mode utility..I lowered my DVD Rom to UDMA 33 and all was fine??

Only in win2k and XP tho..

Hmm. This happens with no other drives in the system. Normally my burner and dvd are connected to the ata33 plugs on the motherboard but disconnected them and there was no change.

Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
What's on the chain?

The new hard drive.

g0at
12-27-02, 01:51 AM
I get the same thing on my WD 120gig w/ 8meg as well...

awful studdering and lagging mouse in windows GUI =\

WinXP Pro
DFI NB72-SC mobo
p4 1.7
512MB PC133
GF4 Ti 4200
SBLive 5.1
IBM Deathstar 60GXP
Sony CRX 120E CD-R

Starscream
12-27-02, 01:41 PM
Well I think it safe to say it's not the drive acting up in my case. It works perfectly when connected to the ata 33 connectors on the motherboard.

It only acts weird when connected to the promise ata 100 controller card. ARGH!!!

g0at
12-30-02, 04:51 AM
do you think my studder would stop if i disabled ultra DMA 66?

The Baron
12-30-02, 11:24 AM
PCI LATENCY! There a way to set it?

Starscream
12-30-02, 01:52 PM
Yes I can change the pci latency in the bios. Currently it's at 32 (the default), any suggestions on what I should change it to?

Rockeye
12-31-02, 07:36 AM
Just a thought but have you got any other cards in your PCI slots which are sharing an interupt with your new promise controller. You can check under device system and view by type to see which cards are sharing an IRQ. Maybe you can try disabling ACPI as this may also be causing problems.

I know its for a KT7 MB but I may be some help describing IRQ problems.

http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/2/fcid/26.sud

The Baron
12-31-02, 10:43 AM
Try knocking it down to 16... :p I think that's right.

Starscream
12-31-02, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Rockeye
Just a thought but have you got any other cards in your PCI slots which are sharing an interupt with your new promise controller.

Well I've pulled and disabled everything I could, I still get the annoying high cpu usage when the promise card is the only thing besides video in my system. I've tried it in all 6 pci slots as well.

Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Try knocking it down to 16... :p I think that's right.

Ok I'll try 16, yesterday I tried 64 and 128 but they both made no difference.

Starscream
12-31-02, 01:01 PM
Well tried setting it to 16 and there was no change.

Whenever the hard drive is accessed a lot the cpu usage goes through the roof. I'm really starting to hate this stupid promise controller. :mad:

Starscream
12-31-02, 06:49 PM
In case anyone is wondering I've absolutely confirmed it's the promise controller acting funny. I pulled everything from my system except video and the promise card, connected my old 20 gig and a cd drive and installed 2k on there. Same stupid stuttering with that other drive and a plain install of 2k. Ugh.