PDA

View Full Version : Shimmering fixed on 7800GTX!

Pages : [1] 2

Rollo
08-29-05, 11:52 PM
My buddy at nV gave me a beta copy of a new driver revision he said was being made available to some reviewers.

The driver reportedly fixes the shimmering issue between mipmap boundaries with only a few percent fps reduction.

Some skeptics have speculated the fix for the bug would result in massive loss of framerate, or that the bug itself was intentional for initial review benchmarking purposes. My play earlier tonite on BF2 and UT2004, and the following benches, convinced me this is a driver bug that has been addressed. The gentleman at nVidia asked me to note that these are pre-production drivers that they are still testing, but my experiences so far show them solid.

HL2 16X12 4X8X Quality 77.72 4X8X High Q 77.74 4X8X High Q 78.03 (shimmer fixed)
at_c17_12...................61.................... 58...........................58
at_canals_08...............93....................7 6...........................76
at_prison_05...............97....................9 6...........................96

I thought some HL2 would be good because people noticed this a lot in CSS. (which I don't have) Anyway, it's pretty clear at HL2 there is no mythical 30% performance reduction.

PNY7800GTX
08-30-05, 12:16 AM
Umm.. we need these to get "accidentally" leaked!!

I thought the shimmer issue wasn't going to be addressed into the 80 series builds though??

toxikneedle
08-30-05, 12:40 AM

I thought the shimmer issue wasn't going to be addressed into the 80 series builds though??
80s are still a while away AFAIK.

-=DVS=-
08-30-05, 12:51 AM
Our cards are fast enough small performance drop is nothing , we need IQ NOW ! better yet option Shimmer on/off to satisfy everyone :p

FraGTastiK
08-30-05, 05:43 AM
good news thanks for sharing it with us.so it was no biggie after all.

brady
08-30-05, 06:08 AM
(w/opics)

Toss3
08-30-05, 06:16 AM
Will this also work on the 6800's ?? and 6600's??(don't know if the 6600 series has any shimmering...)

Ninjaman09
08-30-05, 06:55 AM
Does it fix World of Warcraft also? I get the worst shimmering in that game. Though it is terrible in HL2 and CS:S.

|MaguS|
08-30-05, 07:00 AM
Prett bad in Advent Rising aswell. =\

Rollo
08-30-05, 07:03 AM

Won't be leaked by me, I'm just happy to have them. :)

Can't comment on the 80 series, maybe the 78 series is beta for the 80 series WHQL candidate? I don't know.

SH64
08-30-05, 07:47 AM
How about some tests on more games ? .. BF2 for one. this game is so important.
i want to know if i'll still be able to play it @1280x1024,8xAA without shimmering or the performance hit will prevent that heh ..

aAv7
08-30-05, 08:38 AM
can u at least show us some pics of the games w/o shimmering? Your not breaking any rules doing that.

ChrisRay
08-30-05, 09:00 AM
Guys, I got something coming real soon. Just hold out a little longer. Likely by tonight when/if I get the go ahead.

Chris

|MaguS|
08-30-05, 09:03 AM
can u at least show us some pics of the games w/o shimmering? Your not breaking any rules doing that.

Shimmering is really difficult to show in pics, videos are the easiest method.

Clay
08-30-05, 09:41 AM
Shimmering is really difficult to show in pics, videos are the easiest method.ChrisRay has some new videos here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55810).

|MaguS|
08-30-05, 09:45 AM
Yeah I saw them but EQ1 isn't the greatest example of it, WoW and COD are far worse.

ChrisRay
08-30-05, 09:45 AM
Clay. They cant view the staff forum. ;)

Yeah I saw them but EQ1 isn't the greatest example of it, WoW and COD are far worse.

I'd have to disagree. Everquest 1 has a very simple texture makeup. And is not affected by various specular shader affects along the surfaces. Besides. WoW looks great in HQ with the new drivers.

PNY7800GTX
08-30-05, 09:52 AM
Guys - WoW is known to have bad problems with shimmering as does... oh yeah EVERY GAME! ...and about BF2 did you read his results - from the looks of it fixing the shimmering didnt drop performance at all, besides how it works on your system will depend on your system. Im glad the fix is coming sooner than "within 2 months" but the questions you guys are asking are kinda stupid.

"can u at least show us some pics of the games w/o shimmering?"
Shimmering happens when the scene is moving so a screenshot isnt going to show you anything fixed, in fact when you take a ss now you cannot see the shimmering anyways...

BF2 for one. this game is so important. i want to know if i'll still be able to play it @1280x1024,8xAA without shimmering or the performance hit
Well clearly looking at Rollos results it doesnt look like there will be a performance hit to fix this.

Does it fix World of Warcraft also? I get the worst shimmering in that game. Though it is terrible in HL2 and CS:S.
Ummm this is a shimmering fix, fixing the textures meet, etc, so it will fix all games. Some games are just easier to see it in.

Will this also work on the 6800's ?? and 6600's??(don't know if the 6600 series has any shimmering...)
That was fixed awhile ago, do you even have a shimmering issue, or are you just asking this to increase your posts??

Now I know why this probably should not have been posted. Thanks for the info Rollo and ChrisRay, just work to get the drivers posted ASAP and ignore the dumb questions like these. Sorry :)

Ninjaman09
08-30-05, 09:54 AM
Now I know why this probably should not have been posted. Thanks for the info Rollo and ChrisRay, just work to get the drivers posted ASAP and ignore the dumb questions like these. Sorry :)
Different games have different issues that result in shimmering so a fix that may help one may have no effect on another as was evident with the LOD bias clamp for the 6 series - UT2004 showed the biggest improvement while HL2's was only slight and WoW was as bad as ever. I suggest you actually become knowledgable about what you're discussing before broadly declaring peoples' legitimate questions and comments "dumb questions".

PNY7800GTX
08-30-05, 09:55 AM
Actually Chris and Rollo- I do have a legitimate question about this new fix. Obviously its to fix this in HQ mode, but does the standard Quality mode look any different? From what Ive seen HQ is still showing the optimizations that are enabled in Quality mode - so does Quality mode still look like crap too ro does this fix the shimmering in all modes?

Thanks

ChrisRay
08-30-05, 09:56 AM
Actually I did answer your question pny7800Gtx Here :) Quality mode has yet to be improved. But that doesnt mean it wont be. I'll be answering further questions in that thread. If you have any.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55812

Chris

PNY7800GTX
08-30-05, 10:10 AM
Different games have different issues that result in shimmering so a fix that may help one may have no effect on another as was evident with the LOD bias clamp for the 6 series - UT2004 showed the biggest improvement while HL2's was only slight and WoW was as bad as ever. I suggest you actually become knowledgable about what you're discussing before broadly declaring peoples' legitimate questions and comments "dumb questions".

Cmon read those questions - "will my performance at 1280x1024 in bf2 with xx aa / aa af be affected?" Like you will know how these new drivers will perform on someones system. Those were questions that 1. are easily searchable and 2. are not something someone else can answer.

I'm already quite knowledgeable on the subjust I saw the shimmering long before it was posted here. Its evident in all games I play, just more obvious than in some than others. Im glad your post was so informative, wow just great info there... :P

BTW thanks Chris, I hadnt yet checked the rest of the forum was just hitting my book marked threads! Great info!!

Clay
08-30-05, 11:03 AM
Clay. They cant view the staff forum. ;) :o wow, woops! :D

Ninjaman09
08-30-05, 11:05 AM
:o wow, woops! :D
pwnd

:D

radekhulan
08-30-05, 11:26 AM
Most shimmering can be fixed when you set performance to HIGH QUALITY, even in 77.xx drivers :-)