PDA

View Full Version : seems intel is in the SLI game now

wheeljack12
08-31-05, 02:28 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050828_231427.html

J-Mag
08-31-05, 03:31 PM
Well I guess the only positive side of this is that SLI boards should get cheaper...

Other than that I could care less, as AMD solutions are by far superior.

jAkUp
08-31-05, 03:54 PM
Works with crossfire and SLI ;) Nice

Superfly
08-31-05, 03:57 PM
Well I guess the only positive side of this is that SLI boards should get cheaper...

Other than that I could care less, as AMD solutions are by far superior.

rather narrow minded - there's good in this for everyone, and its not AMD's solution thats better - its NVIDIA's as AMD DONT make chipsets.

wheeljack12
08-31-05, 05:21 PM
I agree, superfly. It's a chipset competition here, not a cpu one. Unless Intel was given permission to use SLI 16x, your current and soon to be SLI 16x won't drop in price soon. It will be neat when intel can take the share of Nvidia and ATI users for their own. Before anyone gets fanboy here,I like the idea of choice here escpecially to this degree. You aren't stuck with one over the other. If you get a Nvidia board with SLI and someday get pissed at the company (not likely), you aren't SOL for cash/hardware. Hence, Crossfire and SLI in one. Would be totally off the charts if it became where you could mix and match the brands some day for a combined speed. That would definitely put a fire up the collective Nvidia and ATI *sses.

J-Mag
08-31-05, 05:38 PM
AMD's solution thats better - its NVIDIA's as AMD DONT make chipsets.

I mean the solution FOR AMD, sorry...

You can't deny that SLI Gaming performance on AMD Nforce4 machines is superior.

J-Mag
08-31-05, 05:47 PM
Your current and soon to be SLI 16x won't drop in price soon.

Why do we all use relative terms? If Soon is 6months you will be eating your own words. If soon is 1 minute then you can shoot me in the face.

Would be totally off the charts if it became where you could mix and match the brands some day for a combined speed. That would definitely put a fire up the collective Nvidia and ATI *sses.

There is NO WAY in hell you are going to ever mix and match brands (if you are refering to GPU manufacturers) Unless you are using them to drive seperate monitors.

However, if you mean mix and match via buying new ATI and replacing your old Nvidia, then maybe... However, I can bet that there will have to be some sort of compromise on the board or NB to perform this feat. Compromises are not good for performance.

Personally I would rather just do what I normally do... When A new tech comes along that is better than what I have, I buy it and sell my old stuff. It's not like I need to PLAN on future upgradability.

wheeljack12
09-01-05, 06:20 PM
Ok, then if the companies don't slow down on the new technology market production and it becomes saturated like a stock market in 1929, then you will see the price reduction. Even though I like the current trend of make the new product and then change your manufacturer's roadmap to be faster with your competitions, not everyone has the wallet to keep up. So, I am basing this not on me, but the customer in general. For me actually, I am more interested in product to market (particularly store) trend (would be nice to this become status quo) on the day they say they will release rather than paper release. In other words, realistic hype to live up to. A motherboard chip manufacturer doesn't have to answer to a GPU maker, unless it is for compatibility reasons. So, it maybe a dream but their are other (although not as good as) than Nvidia and Intel making motherboard chipsets with unique things already. ECS has a dual cpu motherboard, not done in a long time. They also use VIA new chipset for AGP and PCI on one board. Something I wish had been done when PCI-E was introduced. And I am referring in general here for motherboards, not cpu wise. Here is a question from a customer's standpoint, what would you do if you choose your video card combination rather than have to buy a specific chipset branded motherboard and video cards to make your dual gpu system work? You would be happier than a pig in crap. You aren't forced into a narrow decision that has you spending twice as much down the line. What ticks me off is that Nvidia made a pro version of the SLI 16x nforce 4 then down the line when it wasn't profitable,make a home SLI 16x for example. And the gpu makers would work even harder since you would choose the best based on the particular graphics card (even down to it's gpu core) rather than the manufacturer in general. It's called making them work hard for their money since most do the same to get their pc up and running at home.