PDA

View Full Version : 7800 gt unlocking

adpr 02
09-01-05, 02:42 AM
I am REALLY thinking of buying one (I will wait another 2 weeks to see what ATI has up their sleeve, and if it ain't cheaper and better, I'l get this). NOW. I'm wondering if the 7800gt is unlockable. I know that if you overclock it, it WILL perform better than an un-overclocked 7800gtx (saw it in benchmarks on different sites). I am just curious: It's not like I won't buy it if you can't unlock, but it would be a lot sexier if I could put that extra "X" in my sig.

Also, like everything else, I will modify this card with a better cooler. I am wondering around what OC I can get out of it. What is the limit? For example, my 6600gt's limit is 598/1210 up from 500/1200. No matter how chilly I get it, the card won't go any higher.

particleman
09-01-05, 12:50 PM
To date no one has found a way to unlock it. Does this mean it can't? Who knows, Unwinder (the programmer of Rivatuner) doesn't sound to optimistic at this point, but then again the same was thought about 6800 non GT/Ultras last year. Ultimately I wouldn't buy a 7800 counting on it to be able to be unlocked. But the card is still great bang for your buck.

Mr_LoL
09-01-05, 05:38 PM
Buy it its great. I recommend you get the xfx as its overclocked out of the box. I wish I had got that

adpr 02
09-02-05, 11:48 AM
I WILL buy it. I hear it can be OC'd to make it faster than a STOCK gtx. It's a no-brainer for me. I won't buy it for another 1 or 2 weeks, though, just so I see what ATI has in mind for their next gen card (should be released beginning of september).

Although I am an ATI fan, I always end up buying NVIDIA products as they're cheaper and better. Hopefully it'l change with the next batch of ATI cards.

Red_Shift
09-02-05, 12:21 PM
Who knows, Unwinder (the programmer of Rivatuner) doesn't sound to optimistic at this point
Maybe that's why RT 15.7 isn't finished yet.
let's just wait for RT15.7 and R520 releases.

keith33
09-02-05, 02:57 PM
Yeah, on [H] I've seen a lot of eVGA and BFG GT cards hitting over 7900 3Dmarks which is about where a stock GTX stands, that's pretty amazing considering it's like 2 inches shorter and has 4 less pipes. :)

YOGIx213
09-02-05, 03:24 PM
... that's pretty amazing considering it's like 2 inches shorter and has 4 less pipes. :)

Yeah, that's what your girlfriend said about you... ZiNG! POW!!!

J/K Lame excuse for humor... :)

adpr 02
09-02-05, 04:06 PM
LOL. GAH, new news says that the r520 will be released sometime in the beginning of October. Hopefully some benchmarks will come before that so I know whether waiting another month is worth it.

I have a 6600gt right now, and it's AGP. My new motherboard is PCI-e. I WOULD like to keep that 6600GT, but I have to sell it (Damn). If I'm forced to buy a new videocard, I might as well go all the way and get a High-End one.

j0j081
09-03-05, 09:40 AM
Sorry for the dumb question but what is there to unlock? I haven't been following the 7800gt much but I assumed it was the same as the gtx w/lower core and memory speeds.

Dr.Nick
09-03-05, 10:46 AM
Sorry for the dumb question but what is there to unlock? I haven't been following the 7800gt much but I assumed it was the same as the gtx w/lower core and memory speeds.

The GT is a 20 pipe gpu whereas the GTX is 24. Though I do not think its possible to unlock them. But the eVGA is also a great grab since you get a free pcie mobo and its clocked at 445MHz(vs 400 stock)

Mr_LoL
09-03-05, 10:59 AM
it does show a locked vertex shader and a locked quad in rivatuner but they are probably hardwired or laser cut. Time for that pencil then.

thecrazykevy
09-03-05, 01:14 PM
Yeah, that's what your girlfriend said about you... ZiNG! POW!!!

J/K Lame excuse for humor... :)
:lol2: