PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra is blazing hot... Why?

noonetmc
09-01-05, 03:20 AM
My temps on my BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra have been steadily climbing, and almost overnight they turned very scary...

http://img25.paintedover.com/uploads/25/badtemps.png (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=25&f=badtemps.png)

Any suggestions?

TierMann
09-01-05, 03:32 AM
Make sure your fans are running and that the heatsink is free of dust.
I replaced my stock cooler with a Zalman. It was a pain getting dust out of the dual fan cooler.

noonetmc
09-01-05, 03:43 AM
My fans are running, In fact I added another one near it to try and help. The air is only hot around the south bridge, and the 6800. Its bothering me because it used to idle at at around 52C and go up to maybe 54C under heavy load. And now I'm getting large artifacts in-game. I've also cleaned the dust out very recently.

*EDIT*

Also, I just capped it at 90 Celcius under load. :eek:

crainger
09-01-05, 03:57 AM
Maybe the paste/thermal pads are wearing or drying up. Might need to reapply some. Will void your warranty though so might not be worth it just yet.

noonetmc
09-01-05, 04:42 AM
Thats one of the annoying things about their warrenty, you can't just go in and fix something like thermal paste, which makes it so I'd have to mail it to them, and wait for it to come back, in the mean time I have no computer since I don't have onboard video :'( while it is nice that it's a lifetime warrenty, it still blows that its so strict on what you can and can't do.

TierMann
09-01-05, 04:56 AM
What's the room temp, by the way? That's another thing that prompted me to get a new cooler. It gets hot up here on the third floor in the summer. I used to idle 57 in the winter, but with no AC up here I would idle 68-70c. Now it's running cooler than it did in the winter.

Even though it sounds like it from my ramblings, I'm not trying to get you to change the cooler, heh. If you have AC in that room and you have a temp change of 26+c on your card, I would take advantage of the lifetime warranty and RMA it. Sucks though, I know, if you have no other card til it gets back.

Random things to check too that you might have checked allready...
-AGP voltage in your bios might be accidently bumped up.
-Settings in RivaTuner or another 3rd party app (Doesn't look like you're using CoolBits) to make sure your clock settings are stock.

That's about all I can think of.

gram_vaz
09-01-05, 04:57 AM
room temp matters as much as your cooling. i have l33t cooling, 5 case fans in a thermaltake XaserV case, i even removed all the pci slot covers to help with ventilation, but my card still idles at 73c because my room is so damn hot...

F_L_C
09-01-05, 05:07 AM
Thats one of the annoying things about their warrenty, you can't just go in and fix something like thermal paste, which makes it so I'd have to mail it to them, and wait for it to come back, in the mean time I have no computer since I don't have onboard video :'( while it is nice that it's a lifetime warrenty, it still blows that its so strict on what you can and can't do.

If all you're careful with disassembly and reassembly, how would they know? I mean all you're doing is reapplying the paste. They'll never know...and if they do, I doubt a company with the such a good rep is gonna turn down your RMA.

j0j081
09-01-05, 05:25 AM
If all you're careful with disassembly and reassembly, how would they know? I mean all you're doing is reapplying the paste. They'll never know...and if they do, I doubt a company with the such a good rep is gonna turn down your RMA.
they can't probably tell if it matches their's and the way they apply it.

KickAssCop
09-01-05, 06:50 AM
My 6600GT runs at 85 C full load. No problems here. And my evga 6800GT ran at 78 C full load, still runs in my friend's computer. So yeah, 80 C and below are quite normal temps. Even 90 C is nothing to cry about.

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-01-05, 07:18 AM
Hey it is under warranty! Why not just get it replaced.

john19055
09-01-05, 08:25 AM
Does the BFG 6800ultra has a copper heatsink or does it have a alumunum My Evga used to run near 75c with a load on it witch was'nt bad, but after EVGA offered the copper heat sinks plus I used some good thermal paste my load temperture very seldon ever hit 65c with a load on it now,That one thing I like about Evga they are not so strict on the warranty but it is just for two years but now they have a life time warranty witch sucks in my case,oh well I useally don't use a card for two years anyway.But if the BFG has a nvidia refrence cooler on it you could buy a copper heat sink from EVGA unless yours already has one ,It dropped my load tempertures by 10c.Plus if you have a fan blowing on it make sure it is not cancelling out some of the air that blows on the heatsink.It sounds like you have other problems if your 6800ultra never got no hotter then 54c in a heavy load ,I have never seen a 6800ultra run that cool with a load on it.

KickAssCop
09-01-05, 01:11 PM
Ok I just bought a spanking new PNY 6800GT and my idle tempratures are 66 C and full load (3dmark05) temps are 88 C. Is that too high. Now I am confused lol. Anyways, no problems yet. The card is running dandy. Ambient temps are 45 C - 47 C.

My evga 6800GT used to do 50 C idle and 75 C full load but back then it was winters and we used to have ambient temps of 25 C.

By the way ambient temp reading is using nVidia's same thermal panel that is in drivers.

noonetmc
09-01-05, 03:30 PM
Well on a normal day, down here in the basement, this particular room reaches between 70F and 75F but usually the former of the two. If it gets too hot I open the door to the rest of the basement which is about 10F colder since nobody seems to use it and it doesn't have any electronics running in it at all.

$n][pErMan
09-01-05, 07:13 PM
Maybe the HSF is not that good? My room gets up to like 80F a lot... and even then under full load my card maybe hits 75~76c max. if its doing it all of a sudden without even slowely going up.. then something is not right

tristancarton
09-01-05, 07:19 PM
this will keep it a little bit cooler.(worth it if you are afraid of killing warranty and don't want to spend time to rma)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835888112

laydback
09-02-05, 12:15 AM

I've seen cases where they used a colored thermal pad or paste, one that you couldnt easily get your hands on. But with the amount of cards being RMA'd, im not so sure they check every one. Never know though.

Also make sure that fan you added isnt actually blowing hot air onto the cooler, or messing with the rotation of the cooler. Remember that more fans isnt always a good thing, its all about constant airflow.